You are here

BM wants to put 7 yr old in therapy

tradingplaces's picture

So BM is in between boyfriends at the moment, and hyperfocused on SD and DH. She goes through this from time to time and then goes back to leaving her constantly and not caring about her. Her latest is that SD needs therapy due to the divorce(4 years ago)and of course DH "has to agree and split it". There is nothing wrong with this child, she is a lively, lovely 7 year old and DH even asked school staff if they noticed any behavioral changes - they all answered with a resounding NO.

My question is this..does he have to agree? If she were to take him to court over this who would the judge likely side with?

tradingplaces's picture

AnaR, this is what DH and I think exactly. That it will be creating a problem where there is none.

misSTEP's picture

This is the exact same thing that my BM did to my SD - just a couple years older. She said it was to help SD deal with the adjustment of her father no longer living with them (they weren't living together when I met him!)

SD said that she liked visiting misSTEP and her dad at dad's place and went to the counselor because "mom makes me."

Be careful, because it can be used as a tool of PAS.

silver ring's picture

I think it would send the child a wrong message. "I am fine, but let's create some imaginary problems because mom says so". Children adapt to any kind of environment, especially to the one where they are loved and cared for...even if it is by stepmother and dad.If they are fed with drama, they will act dramatic.
After all, it is the BM's fault for creating the problems because she has problems. Let's not teach our kids that they need to depend on other people to solve their problems.

Therapy is for individuals who REALLY need it.

Shaman29's picture

You describe your SD as a lovely, lively child.

Sounds like she may not be as lovely and lively when with her BM. }:)

This tells me the problem is BM, not the SD. Probably a lack of structure is causing your SD to act out when with BM.

If BM is having parenting issues with her child, then it falls to her to deal with it on her own.

Otherwise, this kid doesn't need therapy.

silver ring's picture

True.

Orange County Ca's picture

Is she really going to spend a grand on an attorney to take this to court?

I would not give in to a hysterical parent as the demands will only go up.

tradingplaces's picture

Unfortunately, yes BM would & probably will do this. I kid you not when I say DH is in constant litigation. We pay the attorney every.single.month. Our BM is a rich girl with tons of money to burn.