You are here

BM shares a room/bed with my boyfriend's 4 yr old

kkh5656's picture

My boyfriend's ex-wife currently lives with her parents in a really nice, large house. My boyfriend and his ex share custody and the kids (daughters 1 and 4 years old) stay with her half of the week. Ever since the BM has been living with her parents (its been 4 months now) she has been sharing a bed with the 4 year old (and possibly the 1 year old, we're not sure). While its already a problem in itself in my opinion, the cherry on top is the fact that the 4 year old refuses to sleep in her own bed when she stays at her dad's(even though she has her own room and a big-girl bed that she never had a problem sleeping in before the divorce). She won't go to bed, when she does go to bed, she comes out 50 times, tries to get her dad to lay down with her, tries to come sleep with us, wakes up in the middle of the night and either gets in our bed or throws a tantrum until my boyfriend sleeps with her. Its very frustrating. The BM knows that her 4 year old tries to sleep with us and HATES it, she threatens my boyfriend and doesn't want this going on. However, how can she say anything if she's the one encouraging the behavior!? And I know its not the 4 year old's fault for wanting to sleep with us, but I don't like it; I feel like it violates the relationship between my boyfriend and me.
What can I do!?

VAStepMom's picture

I think this is more of an inconvenience than a problem. I used to let my BD's sleep with me from time to time when EX was working graveyard. They loved it and so did I.

wriggsy's picture

I confess...I did the exact same thing...sharing my bed, I mean. My daughter and I were on our own by the time she was two. exH was in the military and lived states away...and didn't really stay in touch with DD for many years. Right after we got our own place, DD got very ill and I took her into my bed one night to keep an eye on her. She didn't leave my bed for years. She had her own room with a brand new bed and new comforter set. I bought many sets of sheets and throw blankets and even two new comforter sets trying to get her in to her own bed. The only way I got her into her bed was when I moved her bed into my room. Then, when we moved into our house, she was back in my bed...new place was scary to her. About a year and a half ago, I finally got her into her own bedroom...she is almost 14 years old. BUT...it's just the two of us in our house (we don't live in the same house with DH and skids), so it doesn't affect my marriage bed. Every once in a great while...she still wants to sleep with me, but even those are getting further and further between.

I am not saying this is the best way for everyone, but I think my daughter and I have a pretty wonderful relationship because of it. Many nights of talking until we fell asleep, tickle fights, back scratches, all wonderful things, there is a closeness between us that I am not sure would be there if I hadn't allowed her to sleep with me. Matter of fact...when she finally went to her own room...it took some getting used to (having the bed all to myself!) and at first, I got up two and three times a night to make sure she was ok. I consider my daughter a well rounded kid, fairly well mannered (when her teen attitude isn't messing her up!), great grades in school, makes good friends and is good to people around her. So...I don't see a problem with it. But...this is just how it worked for us....

SusiQ's picture

Sounds like your BM is basically ingraining in your SD that she can't sleep alone and that's a hard habit to break. We try really hard to keep DS in his own bed - he recently started getting up and crawling into our bed. The sad thing is that I almost never notice until I almost roll over on him when DH is working nights. If we're both home, he has to crawl over one of us and it's usually me. I don't have an issue with it from time to time but not every night. I'm working really hard on the weeks when my DH is on days that he not go in an lay down with DS until he goes to sleep - makes life really hard when DH is not home and working nights and I'm trying to get DS to bed while dealing with DD who is 8 weeks old and has colic.
Try as hard as you can to just gently get her back to her bed and be firm about not taking on behaviors you are uncomfortable with.

kkh5656's picture

Thanks for the responses.
Its definitely an inconvenience, but not only for me, but also for my boyfriend. He doesn't get any sleep and I don't blame him for giving in to her tantrums at 4am and letting her sleep with us--that's the only way anyone is going to get rest (and did I mention we can't get her to go to bed, much less fall asleep ever before 11pm?!?). The 4 year old is cranky because she doesn't get enough sleep but she doesn't want to sleep, she fights it when she's tired and stays up whining and crying and the next morning when she wakes up at 7am, she doesn't listen, cries, and acts like a spoiled brat (which she's really not).
I can see how if you're a single parent, this isn't too big of a deal, but my boyfriend and I live together and we need the bed as our safe-haven so we can have a healthy relationship. I also don't think its fair to his daughter--she needs to learn how to sleep by herself so that she can develop and be independent.

Tx mommy of 3's picture

We co-sleep too. The thing about it is the kids like the security and comfort of it. Hey like cuddling next to a warm body to fall asleep. You do it, too, right? You like sleeping next to a warm body because it is comforting or whatever. It's the same with the kids. So instead of having bf just demand that she sleep in her bed alone, have him lay next to her til she falls asleep. He can read her a story, sing her a song, pat her back...whatever she needs/likes to go to sleep. When she's asleep hen he can leave. Of course it will take time and effort on his part so if he isn't willing to help, then....

Mamma Jamma's picture

Wow I'm jealous! SD5 sleeps with tv nightly, DH won't turn it off. I know it's bad, "but it's what she's used to". She falls asleep around 11 or 12 ( oh this is in OUR room, her room is nearly completed but still. ) meanwhile we hang in the cramped living room instead of the master suite. She wakes cranky, and in order for her to make the school bus I have to dress her myself. Won't do anything for herself if I'm around. Orders me to leave the room if I tell her to do something like brush teeth. Wouldn't drink a glass of JUICE with me in the room this am!! I wish she'd get an independent streak!