You are here

BM lets ss9 eat honey nut cheerios when he has a nut allergy?

shabner's picture

So ss9 has, (along with so much more) severe food allergies, fish, and nuts are the most severe. SS9 told us that the last time he got tested his allergy to tree nuts was getting worse while the allergy to peanuts was staying the same, he has to carry an epi-pen for these allergies.
When we were grocery shopping he asked for honey nut cheerios, I told him no because honey nut cheerios have almonds in them, and it could make him sick. He told me his mother lets him eat them all the time. So I called BM right from the grocery store, and low and behold, she does let him eat them. I explained to her that SS9 told us that his almond allergy was quite severe and getting worse from the last tests. She agreed that this was the case. Then she says "it's weird eh? He can eat them, but anything else with almonds could kill him" I would like to know how she so flippantly discovered that he is safe with honey nut cheerios. Has anyone ever heard of this? I asked her for an allergy report so that I could make sure I am being as safe as I can, and she said they don't give reports, there is nothing to document his allergies. Again can this be real? If I were the BM at these appts. I would insit that everything was in writing so that I made sure I would absorb all of it. Does anyone have skids or bio's with allergies? Are there allergy reports or some documentation of them? I am new to this but I really don't want to have ss9 suffer from a severe allergic reaction.

PeanutandSons's picture

Honey nut cheerios does not have any actual nuts in it. They switched from real nuts to natural flavoring in 2006.

My SD does not have any food allergies, but she does have nasal allergies. We got a print off from her allergy testing.

StickAFork's picture

Hee, hee... I cannot imagine a SM calling me from the store to question my choices for my own children.
^^This poster is right... with the prevalence of nut allergies, GM (I think) didn't want to lose a valuable slice of the market.

tweetybird74's picture

Ok from what I understand Honey Nut Cheerios actually has NO nuts in it, just flavour? Seems like false advertising to me. But check the box the next time you are in the grocery store to see if any nuts are listed as the ingredients. BTW I think BM was very irresponsible though giving him something that could have potentially harmed him.

Smomof3's picture

Our BM lets my SS13 with ADHD have Monster drinks and my SD14 who's an asthmatic go without allergy meds because she doesn't like them. She also doesn't make either wear a coat and then wonders why they are sick all winter. Some BM's need a wakeup call because they make horrible choices all the time and I'd have called immediately too.

Our BM is so stupid she has called me to discipline the kids for her.

c-mom's picture

This sounds like a big communication error to me. I don't think your BM was being irresponsible. She probably just noticed that the box plainly states that there are no nuts in it. Come on, people. Get real. No processed food is naturally flavored now days. It is good that you were being safe though, in making sure with BM that what SS was telling you was the truth because children have a tendency to twist stories to make them fit what they want. If you feel safe giving them to him, go ahead. If you don't, then buy a different cereal. And yes, the doctors have the ability to give you a print out. They may not have given her one, but if you would like one to make sure you are not putting her child in jeopardy, COMMUNICATE with her that it would make you more comfortable to have a written guideline of what is safe for her son. If she is any kind of mother, I doubt she will hesitate to provide it to you. And if she does, google does amazing things.

Join Wikipedia Takes America photo hunts in 10+ cities in September.
Honey Nut Cheerios
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honey Nut Cheerios from Canada
Honey Nut Cheerios is a variation of Cheerios breakfast cereal, introduced in 1979 by the General Mills cereal company.[1] This is the second variation from Original Cheerios, it is sweeter than the original, with a honey and almond flavor. While this product used to be made with actual nuts, as of 2006, the nuts were discontinued, and natural flavor used instead.

shabner's picture

Thanks, now that I see that honey nut cheerio's don't contain nuts I understand why BM would give them to ss9, what bothers me is I don't think she knew that at the time. She really said "I know it's weird, but he doesn't have a reaction to them" not "That cereal doesn't have real nuts in it" She also lets him eat canned tuna, but any other fish, even anchovy paste in ceasar dressing can kill him. If she has something from the allergists office that tells her this, I wish she would share. As much as I would love to leave this up to his father, I'm afraid that the kid would need to use his epi-pen in the first 5 minutes of visitation.

shabner's picture

I called because I wasn't sure if ss9 was being honest when he said he eats them all the time. All the skids are known for being "less than truthful" and I don't want to kill the kid. It would probably rattle me if the trollop called me regarding one of my bio's but I would understand the concern behind it. I do think that there should be a report of some kind that we would be able to know exactly what we can and can't feed ss9, I think that DH left all of that up to BM when they were together because he is truly clueless on what this kid can and can't eat. Well to be honest he is clueless to a lot of the medical things involving ss9, he didn't have a clue when I asked why ss9 was on concerta, or which inhaler he uses at what times. I don't know if this is typical for a father, but my xh was exactly the same way.

yorktest01's picture

Hypersensitive reactions are common and can be caused due to a number of reasons. Based on you and its understanding towards various foodstuffs and surroundings, a person can turn allergic towards various foodstuffs and elements in the environment. If you think you or any of your close relatives has an sensitivity, the best thing to do is to go for sensitivity blood test.
food allergy testing

katietome's picture

I know this is an old thread...but I'm going to post this anyway since it was resurrected.

Almonds are not nuts.

My nut-allergic child can eat Honey Nut Cheerios with no problem. He is allergic to several kinds of nuts, but not almonds.

Kate

SMof2Girls's picture

You could have the alternative like we do .. two skids now on two different allergy medications (each) and no allergy test to confirm that allergies even exist. They've tested negative for every allergy test (both blood and scratch tests) they've ever had. :?