You are here

Bitter ex wife

Along4theride's picture

I feel sometimes I am at the end of my rope in dealing with my Husband's ex-wife. She is just awful. I am sure it could be a lot worse but some of the things she does is just unbelievable.
Last weekend was my Husband and mine anniversary. Well, the ex called up the Tuesday before and asked us if we could take his son for the weekend. My Husband said yes, of course, no problem. My Husband told me we have my SS this weekend and I said Hello its our Anniversary. So he called back his ex wife and told her its our anniversary we can't take him but definately next week. She was fine with it. She called back during the weekend and says So when are you paying child support? We always pay it at the end of the month and she knows that. She wanted to burden my Husbands mind with that and try to spoil our anniversary weekend. She even called just to say So how many years has it been for you guys? Obviously, the thought of our anniversary was running around in her head and it was bugging her. It's just not fair that everytime something is going good for My Husband and I she has to try and spoil it or try to cause a rift in our home. She did something similar around the weekend of my Husbands birthday. She wanted us to take my SS and my Husband said oh this weekend isnt good. We have a birthday party planned. Her response was Your Birthday was 2 days ago! And my Husband went right back at her and said Well I was working on the day of my birthday so we are celebrating this weekend! She is just soo rude... I don't know how much more I can take...Is she jealous of our marriage??? She recently remarried and still causing issues so obviously she still isnt happy because she has to call up to try and cause problems in our home....My Husband is very timely with child support and seeing his son when he can. I am sorry but I would NEVER EVER reccommend anyone marry someone with children from a previous relationship unless their ex spouse was dead.. I am so serious...I can see now why they say that 2nd, 3rd 4th marriages don't last....Does anyone have any advice on how to handle this? I feel that I have put a wall up and I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop...I appreciate any advice or anything you can tell me Smile

Thanks

Tara12's picture

This woman should hardly be calling your husband at all! I don't know how old your SS is and it sounds like you guys have been married for awhile now. I think your husband needs to set up some boundaries and stick to them. I would have him call BM in front of you and just tell her look unless there is an issue regarding SS's health or an emergency, drop/off pickup questions/discussions then you do not need to call me. If you have issues regarding SS's school or perhaps questions about insurance you can email me. Otherwise DON'T CALL. If you leave me a VM and it is not regarding the issues I just outlined I will not call you back. She isn't going to like it but you know what - too bad! He has a life with you - you are his wife and she needs to butt out and get a life of her own.

Anon2009's picture

It will specify when he can see his son. He might get every other weekend (EOW) with 1/2 the holidays, Father's Day, his birthday, 1/2 of SS's birthdays, and it will be COURT ORDERED, so if BM withholds visitation, she can be held in contempt of court and be arrested, which can result in things such as her having to pay your legal fees and/or losing custody of SS. It can also give him phone contact with his son for when SS is with BM. It could possibly also specify how much time you and DH get with him in the summer. This would be good for SS too, because then he knows when exactly he'll be going to your house and it gives him some consistency. Here are examples:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:ifSjw2arZ6UJ:www.fathers4kids.com/ht...

This one may be a a little more useful:

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/forms/documents/fl341.pdf

I also agree with ema that your DH needs to set boundaries with BM. He might want to make a list of things she can email him about (i.e. school, medical, and extracurricular activities of SS) and only call in emergencies. Their communication MUST be about SS ONLY.

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

hkirstine's picture

I have the same exact situation with my spouses ex....she will call and say SD wants to wear a turquois shirt when she comes can you lay it out for her, or will call and ask do you know where this school is(freaking google or map quest it!)...she is always calling for the most minuet things! Each and every time it would cause an arguement between BD and I, I was about to lose my mind...here is the kicker..He would actually tell her she doesn't need to call him all the time and to only call in an emergancy ot something COMPLETELY about the kids...however that gave her the edge..she got what she wanted to know that she is getting to us...causing chaos amongst us! However one time she did make a coment about you never answer my calls anymore...hummm I wonder why? So we started to not ever answer the phone when she calls..if she leaves a msg then BD will call her back but if she doesn't then he won't. No matter what you say or do, what you ask or demand of her, SHE IS WHO SHE IS AND ISN'T GOING TO CHANGE! So, find an alternative route that works in your favor! Try what we did and see if it works for you! All I can say is that I got tired, very tired of wasting time that could be spent together in a good way fighting!! Just let it go and try to think positive...trust me, I know it's not easy!! but it has better out comes for YOU an BD!!!!!
Hope this helps!! Smile

Tara12's picture

"if she leaves a msg then BD will call her back but if she doesn't then he won't"

This is why you are still dealing with her because even though your husband has told her to only call when there is an emergency if she leaves a vm he still calls her back - it sounds like she will leave a vm about anything and he still calls her back.

My FH used to do this with the BM and tell her to only call when it is important and she didn't listen and would still call because to her everything was important. So finally WE have presented a united front and we don't fight about her at all anymore. He put up boundaries told her how it was going to be and did not cater to her behaviour (just like with kids) when you stay strong and do not cave in things change. We haven't heard a peep out of her for 3mths! IT'S AWESOME. But again though my SD is 16 and able to talk to her dad whenever she wants about whatever she wants and needs.

hkirstine's picture

So even though we have told her not to call over and over again, and for a while it's better but then she goes right back to dong it again, we are to tell her this again? Is there a way to do it so that it sticks! I feel like he always adven gives into her and that is what makes it worse over and over again....So if she leaves a voicemail but doesn't say what she needs do we call back or leave it alone....what is an exceptable amount of time between times she calls...their kids are 9 & 5....

I have just got to the point where I am just like whatever and suck it up even though it bothers me because I am so tired of fighting with him about it....I am just trying to say he is with me not her and thats that!!

More advice please!!!

Tara12's picture

Hey I think you need a whole another post for that one so I would go ahead and do that. Yes if she calls and does not specifically say what it is for (after being told to call for an emergency, health, visitation, etc.) DONT CALL HER BACK. Your DH needs to tell her that if she leaves a VM that does not refer to one of those issues don't call and he will not be returning her call. I went through 5 months of therapy to get to this point where I am at with my FH now.

Most Evil's picture

The other posters above are all correct - DH needs to draw boundaries with BM and enforce them CONSISTENTLY, to break this. We did it, and all is a lot quieter, here anyway, from BM.

If she gets ugly, spell out that she needs to get a life - lately though our BM seems to have a dramatic need to speak to DH every Saturday night.? Geez, get a man already, they've been divorced 12 years!!!!!

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth." - Vladimir Lenin

SM#1's picture

don't answer her calls or listen to the messages till afterward. We certainly don't, we always let her leave a message and don't listen to it unless we have an idea of what she is calling about.

God knows, if SD9 had an emergency BM would call us last or not at all.

Along4theride's picture

Thanks for all the support and advice...Well I found out why she called to cause a drama the weekend of our Anniversary. She just got remarried and her daughter from another relationship (not with my husband) was extremely mean to her new step dad and causing my SS to be afraid so they kicked her out. So in short, there was drama in her household so she had to call and cause drama in our household...Crazy biotch...You psycho daughter is not our problem!