You are here

Birthday Party at BM's house- to go or not to go?

jrobin13's picture

For the past couple of years, SD10 has been very content to have TWO Birthday parties.  What kid wouldn't?! Of course, this is until BM puts a bug in her ear and she begins quietly lamenting the inconvenience of two parties and how it would be so nice if she could just have one "joint party like other kids".  Every year we are forced into a conversation with BM about said "joint party", every year we agree under the condition it is held at a neutral locaction, every year BM plans her own party without any input from us, schedules it on a day that DH is working, tells SD she doesn't understand why her Daddy isn't at her party, then comes to us with her hand held out to pay half.

THIS YEAR- this year we will be involved (we tell ourselves)! This year we will win this!  We begin planning.  DH takes off of work every day that the party could possibly be scheduled.  We ask SD where she would like to have her party.  We tell BM we will have her beloved "joint party" this year and we will help find a space.  

BM schedules party (DH isn't working! WIN!), BM sends out invitations to friends and family (ours and hers)....inviting them to a party at her home (major lose).

I feel as though I should put on my big girl panties, and graciously accept the invitation.  Our wedding is not until next year, we are in the process of purchasing a home...I do NOT need to be on this woman's bad side.  However, she does not know boundaries.  I fear if I go, she will immediately deem us Brady Bunch status and we will not only be battling joint parties, but joint Christmas, joint Thanksgiving, joint Halloween, joint Columbus day......

WHAT DO I DO?!

tog redux's picture

Agh. No. Just tell SD that you will carry on having two separate parties and that lots of divorced families do that and don’t have joint parties. Give examples if you have some, of her friends who are from divorced families. She will get over her disappointment.  BM just wants a venue for playing MOTY, and she will slam DH no matter what he does, so do what you guys think is best. 

jrobin13's picture

DH is going.  His entire family is going.  They were all presented with hand written invitations directly from SD.  They all are afraid that if they don't go, SD will take it personally and feel that her family has abandoned her.  I have suggested that if they all agree not to go, we have our own party, and we sit down and have a chat with SD, that she will recover. I feel it is more detrimental to continue to blur the lines of separation between her father and BM.  My suggestion was shot down..."it's only two hours"  "No need to upset SD"  Such a mess.  And to think, this is only a small glimpse into the level of control and manipulation this woman wields.

tog redux's picture

DOUBLE AGH.

Well, I guess you have to suck it up.  I personally would come down with a nasty cold that day and stay home. DH married this loon, let him deal with it.

SteppedOut's picture

If having a joint party with bm and OP's dh blurs the line... she SHOULD go. Her presence may disrupt the blur. DH and SM - and BM separate. 

It sucks for OP for sure, but it will help keep bm and dh separate. BM will likely be less likely to suggest a "1st family birthday photo" if OP is there.

IMHO

Crazymess's picture

If i'm not going neither is DH and if i'm sick then guess what i'm needy and need you right by my side to take care of me.

lieutenant_dad's picture

The only way to win is not play the game. This year, I would go. Next year, I'd plan something for SD and tell her to bring a friend or two.

This is what we have done with the boys. Whatever visitation day is closest to their birthday we plan a party with family. We ask if they want to do something and if they want to bring a friend. They are usually content just to spend time with DH, and they usually want to see a movie or go to a trampoline park or go to a comic/gaming convention for the day.

We don't tell BM that we're planning anything. She just assumes now that it happens. That is perfectly fine with me and it means she no longer plans extravagant parties expecting DH to foot the bill (because he just won't show up).

BM thinks she has your DH by the balls. And this year, she does. Next year, go back to individual parties. Or, if you have time, plan a party this year since your DH has every weekend available. He can tell BM the following:

"Sorry BM, we won't be attending. I only agreed to a joint party if it were at a neutral location, which it's not. I will make plans with SD. Good luck."

Then IMMEDIATELY tell SD:

"SD, I offered to host a party with your mother if she planned it with me, and that didn't happen. We will celebrate your birthday with you the weekend after. Until then, think about a friend you would like to invite over that weekend so we can do something fun for you."

It's perfectly fine to tell SD the truth of the situation, especially if BM is going to lie about it. 

ProbablyAlreadyInsane's picture

I wouldn't have taken days off. just simply plan a party for SD. Tell people about it and leave it at that. Even combo parties in a neutral location doesn't always work out. Take SD5's birthdays for instance. We tried a combo party, at a park. nice neutral location. Psycho made it all about her, made the kids uncomfortable, everyone else uncomfortable. And everyone hated it. So we decided no combo parties. Then we throw SD5 a birthday party this last year and she shows UNINVITED. Again makes it about her. Keeps pulling kids off of things (trampoline park, I paid a million dollars SO THEY COULD JUMP), taking pictures, then proceeds to take credit for a party SHE WASN'T INVITED TO.

Neutral location doesn't always mean a good situation. She sounds high conflict. I would avoid even a bit of combined parties and go for two seperate ones. No need to encourage her insanity.

Ispofacto's picture

Yep.

This is exactly why we never tell BM our plans.

We didn't tell her the one she showed up to. Her sister, who she wasn't speaking to at the time, decided to tell her. I was about ready to wring her druggie neck when she walked in. She's lucky I don't believe in harming unborn children and didn't want to risk it. Because I was seeing red.

SonOfABrisketMaker's picture

whole situation really isn't a joint party. It's BM throwing a party and making everyone go along with it. I mean, you are all supposed to be cohosts but you didn't know the location, the date or the guest list until the royal summons was delivered. Looks like you got bamboozled and it's well within your right to say no. 

If your DH keeps saying "it's only for 2 hours" or "it's for SD", ask him how he's going to handle it when she thinks that you'll always be willing to play happy family with BM. What happens when the invites stop including you? Alternately, what happens when  SD gets her hopes up because of loose boundaries and is crushed when the wedding happens and a new household with boundaries is formed?

Your SO needs to pull his head out of his butt. He's trying to build a life with you and SD, not BM. They had their chance.

ESMOD's picture

This reminds me of the annual call from BM that my DH used to get... "demanding" that he give her money so that she can buy the girls christmas gifts.. every single year he told her that she didn't have to buy their love.  The reality is that if he did give her money the likelihood that it would have been spent on presents for the girls was small.. and even if it was.. they would never have been told that their father was giving them the presents too.  So, he didn't fall for it.

This party is the same... it makes it appear that BM is the gracious hostess and dad is at best a guest.. not a co-host.

i also agree the girl is old enough to start having a different type of birthday celebration.  I say you can get out in front of it now.  What you do is tell her that you have a huge plan for her for next year.. you are going to take her and 3 friends to the "great wolf lodge" (it's an indoor resort/waterpark where they can stay overnight).. or we are going to book a hotel with an indoor pool and go night bowling.. or to the jumpology.. or whatever local fancy entertainment she would find attractive.  Renting the hotel room or going to a resort for a night is kind of "extra special" and the thought of having a more grownup outing with her friends should be uber appealing.  Talk it up.. bring it up with her and get her excited... but make it clear that you are doing this for her because she is old enough to do something more grown up than a cake party with family.. that you will of course have a small family dinner with you and her dad.. but that the overnight excursion is her "big" party.

Harry's picture

BM has the upper hand and will always win.  I would not kiss a** and not show up.  Or you will be kissing a** your forever.  Have a separate party, even it it’s the three of you, doing something fun, or a fun restaurant.  

Unfortunately this is a RED flag in your relationship, your SO is not having your back.  SD has to understand that her parents are not together, and things work differently.  Or your SO will be at BM all the time. Birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving playing HAPPY FAMILY with his EX and DD

jrobin13's picture

is that two separate parties is not a bad thing.  BM has always insisted that we should be doing what is "best" for SD.   I could write a novel on the nuances of the use of the word "best" here, but I digress... Long story short, I've always felt like a bit of a jerk for being so insistent we should remain separate and establish boundaries.  After all, isn't the ideal that we all get along and work together for SD?  Swallow our adult emotions and put SD above all?  BM is clearly playing SD and our attempts to thwart her evil plans are only further playing the game piece that is SD.

But,  I suppose, that by giving in, not setting the boundaries and keeping the separation, we are only enabling the future pawning of SD.

I don't have children, but I have a very hard time understanding how anyone could do this to their own child. Ugh.

hereiam's picture

What was best for my SD (now, 27) was for BM and DH to be nowhere near each other. That is why they divorced, so they would not share a life together, anymore.

"After all, isn't the ideal that we all get along and work together for SD?"

Then, perhaps they should have made their marriage work, ya know, for SD. Load of crap.

ESMOD's picture

I think that for this year.. you probably are "stuck".. on a positive note.. it sounds like you and BM have been able to be in the same place with family before and made it through.. I would probably suck it up "this last year" and then make it clear.. starting NOW that there will not be joint celebrations.

The only things that really are necessarily joint occasions are those events that the location is dictated by others.. like a graduation, recital, sports event.. OR a once in a lifetime event like a wedding.  all of those are generally at neutral locations...

Regular holidays and birthdays?  you celebrate with separated parents separately.  You each do something separate for her birthday.. have holidays split as well.  There is a reason why these people aren't married.. and while it's nice if they can be civil/cordial on the situations where they MUST interact like a school function.. that doesn't mean they have to go through the next decade having joint events on any regular basis.  SD will not be harmed by having two birthday celebrations.

hereiam's picture

BM over here tried this ONE time, invited us, and DH's family, to a birthday party for SD, knowing damn well that DH did not want to be in the same room with her (BM).

We did not go. We did not pay for anything, either. And, God love my DH, he did not care if he looked like an asshole. His family knows how he feels about BM and if THEY want to be wishy-washy as far as she is concerned, that is their problem.

We handled SD's birthdays on our time, our way.

tog redux's picture

Same here. On SS's 12th birthday, BM wanted to throw a big soiree because he was in a new private school and she wanted to impress the other parents. She wanted DH to pay while she planned everything and played MOTY.  DH said NOPE, and we did our usual family party for SS.

I'm sure she used it to further her alienation campaign, but she used everything to further her alienation campaign, so ...

If they're going to be the piece of s*** who tries to alienate. You could just casually be breathing and she'd probably try to use it. No use catering to someone who's already decided they want the kid to hate you at any cost.

tog redux's picture

Exactly. There was no preventing it, even if DH had been the type to dance to her tune. At least he kept his self-respect.

Lori@English01's picture

I was married before and my exhusbands first wife was the same way. Insisted on joint birthday parties sitting with us at kids sporting events making small talk would call my ex husband over ever little thing. Anyways how I handle the meddling B--tch is I would go to these "joint events" looking my finest be sweet as pie with a big smile on my face being chatting and social with everyone having a great time. Pissed her off to no end. I loved it as she would expect me to not show up of be all uncomfortable. I'm SO THANKFUL my current husbands exwife HATES him and wants nothing to do with him. They don't even talk what little communication they have is done by text! Its great.

Siemprematahari's picture

There is nothing wrong with SD having two parties/celebrations for her birthday. Do not allow BM to dictate what she thinks is best and how you should celebrate SD's birthday. If BM wants to have a party by all means let her and you and H do your own thing with SD. It won't be the end of the world and you'll celebrate on your own terms. This is a good way to create boundaries and unblur the lines of separation.

Letti.R's picture

You are being emotionally manipulated by the ex.
There is no reason skiddo can not have two seperate birthday parties.
Give in now and try to please the ex and you are on a downward slope to dancing to BM's tune.
Not worth it.

still learning's picture

Welcome to your future hun. Everything SD related will be dictated and controlled by BM. Also the extended families are sucked in and your DH taking time off of work for several days just in case BM plans a party for that day.  Sounds like the beginning of a crappy relationship where you're just going to have to go along with everything. I always wonder why people like BM and your DH got divorced in the first place.  

jrobin13's picture

In the past, we have successfully planned our own party.  BM, however, would plan her party on days that DH is working, tell SD that she invited DH and she can't understand why he wouldn't want to come to her party.  This year the "joint party" talk from SD started early and so we decided to plan ahead- plan his work schedule so he is not working weekends and avoid the possibility of repeat issues.  When we attempted to work with BM to plan a party, she was minimally responsive and then the next thing we know, SD comes home with a pile of invitations addressed to the entire family and telling us how exited she is to have a "joint party" this year.

Side note and perhaps sharing too much- DH does NOT get along with BM, but tries to keep things civil for the sake of SD.  According to him, BM has always been this way (and much worse) when they were married. 

okiestepmomma's picture

As cringy as the idea is for me...I would go to the party. Birthday parties are about the child and it would probably mean the world to SD that all her parents and family members are in one place to celebrate her. Perhaps you and BM could discuss alternating each year who plans and organizes the party. You could always still maybe do something special with just you, H, and SD...like take her to her favorite place or a movie or go buy a little cake and have a special night at home to celebrate her. Make your own little tradtion with her that doesn't involve BM. As far as other holidays, you have more ground to decline joining those celebrations. I wouldn't worry about that. Other holidays aren't centered around your SD. Good luck to you whatever happens.

Crazymess's picture

Split the party no way i'm celebrating together like we are one big happy family. Same for holidays they are to be celebrated seperately. You aren't married yet start setting your boundaries or they will get blurred as time goes on. What if later on you have your kids will your future kids celebrate jointly because poor SD can't be upset.

hereiam's picture

"BM, however, would plan her party on days that DH is working, tell SD that she invited DH and she can't understand why he wouldn't want to come to her party."

This is a classic move that BM over here used all of the time, in one way or another. Except, she would go as far as to tell SD that her dad obviously did not love her (DH heard her tell SD this on the phone).

Bowing down to BM will not stop the alienating. People who would do that to their child, will do it regardless.

Rags's picture

You go to the party radiating happiness on  your FDH's arm, you rock  your best look, go to the salon/spa for a complete makeover, go to your favorite boutique and get a great outfit and you walk into that party beaming how happy your life is.

Cockroaches hate light and scurry for a dark corner when the light is thrown on. Be the light.  The roaches will scurry.

Periodically lean over and whisper something naughty in your FDH's ear in order to drive a reaction that will keep the masses guessing, throw your head back and laugh.  Focus on the birthday girl but do not tolerate being ostracized or ignored.  If BM pulls any shit... bare her ass with an appropriate comment like "Wow, someone needs to get laid!" Or some such other appropriate comment to highlight BM's BS behavior.  If BM loads the Skid's B-day party with BM minions, be ready for them too.

Most of all... have fun baring their asses.

Diablo

ndc's picture

I would go and give it a try.  DH and his family are going, SD is excited, and it might not be that bad.  Be sure to look like a million bucks that day and enjoy being the better person.  If it all goes to hell in a handbasket, then you tell DH (and he can tell SD) that there will be only separate parties in the future.  If it goes well, then it's a win.

When my SO and I started dating, *everything* was joint with BM.  He and BM in their first year of separation had had joint birthday parties, joint holidays, joint excursions to the zoo, etc.  Theirs was an amicable divorce, and she is a planner while he is not, so he kind of piggy-backed on what she did.  I put an immediate end to all of that except the joint birthday parties.  Each kid still has one birthday party for both sides of the family and both sets of friends, and so far it has alternated between BM's house and our place.  The kids like having everyone there, and SO and BM don't interact more than is required to be polite and cooperative.  It's not bad.  Would I prefer not to ever do anything with her?  Of course.  But the joint parties are bearable.  Caveat:  BM here is sane.  She can be a bit controlling, but she doesn't have any personality disorders and she has the kids' best interests at heart.  That makes a big difference.  You'll probably learn a lot at this birthday party and can plan accordingly in the future.

Germie2's picture

Last year DH had SD birthday party at a skating place and BM decided to step in and took care of the guests list, the cake etc... I didn’t know any of the people that were invited apart from DH parents, I made sure I looked good, put on my happy face and showed up, at first BM was all over the place taking charge of everything and talking to everyone,  I knew she was doing some of those things to get to me, but it didn’t affect me one bit, I kept having fun, and later she looked so sad and miserable 

Notup4it's picture

I would go, and next year revert back to old way of 2 separate.  It will honestly be just as awkward for BM as it is for you... and she will quickly realize that, Lol. 

My exH has always insisted on joint parties.... and I am a pushover.. I can tell you for certain it was awkward as a BM having your ex his girlfriend/wife there and all of his family- and we are actually all friends and it was still awkward!! I bet this is the last time this happens. Lol.