You are here

are joint accounts a good idea??

ocs's picture

I only ask this to get some feedback.

I think its insane, but that's my opinion. A friend of mine was visiting from out of town, and we all had dinner together. He has also JUST had a baby girl and is in la la land, I think.

We got to talking about investments etc, and options for saving for his daughter's education. This conversation got sidetracked and somehow we got to talking about accounts. He and his wife have joined everything, accounts, credit cards etc.. and consolidated all of the banking.

He was a little pompous with the attitude of, "Well- you're married. It's all about trust. Marriage means combining everything." ( For example- lets say wifey goes and buys shoes, its on a credit card they share) If hubby buys golf clubs, same deal. At the end of the month, he pays it using their joint account which they deposit their paychecks to. They both make great money, but he definitely makes more.

In my situation, we share bills, but ALL banking is separate. DH pays certain things, I pay certain things and it more or less evens out in ratio to salary. (lots of things are different but equal- like he has lots of retirement savings, I have all the equity in our homes) Both of us are fiscally responsible and LOVE our toys, but we are good. (with open access to see what the other is doing if we so wish)

I think I would do this anyway, but I wonder if i'm more cautious because of Batshit BM?? Or perhaps I have zero interest in seeing what he spends on princess snowflake SD? When we got married, we totally set stuff up so that BM couldn't come after me at all for $$.

Sunflower1's picture

Separate accounts in our world too, we split all the bills. My first marriage was joint everything and it worked, but there are so many other variables in a second marriage/ step situation that keeping this desperate seems to work so much better.

Jsmom's picture

Separate accounts and splitting everything works for us. Also had to do this so BM couldn't have access to my funds. This is the fairest way. Maybe when we are retired and kids are on their own we can combine but not until then will I consider it.

hereiam's picture

What works is different for everybody. I think it does make a difference if it's a first marriage and/or if previous kids are involved.

My husband and I have been together for 17 years. Both SDs are grown so no more CS and DH is not a Disney Dad. We still have separate accounts, not even one joint. My hubby had real issues with money because of his ex wife and I have my own issues, so it works for us.

A friend of mine has one joint account with her husband that they pay bills out of and buy household stuff with but they each have their own separate accounts, also. That works for them.

People have to figure out what works best in their situation but the thinking that just because you are married you should have everything combined is long gone, as far as I'm concerned.

JustAgirl42's picture

Separate. I don't think I'd be able to deal with knowing how much he spends on SD, being that she's spoiled.

Since we moved to a new house together, I have a certain amount transferred to his account each month. It's a little more than I spent living at my condo by myself.

This way, there's no arguing over what money is spent on. There's enough to argue about already. Sad

Bio-Step-Mom's picture

We've always shared. But since he's been becoming guilty bio dad, I've thought about separating things. DH pays 50% more in cs than heat he brings into our household. I earn about 80% of our household income yet he always wants to go above and beyond cs. Admirable, but I have my own bio kids to support...

sbm014's picture

I like a combination of joint and separate.

DH and I have a joint account and each have a separate. His check goes into his, mine is split between our joint and my personal as it is easier as he banks with the bank our joint is with and I bank with a national bank and then our joint is a local credit union. When he gets paid he transfers half his bills and anything extra I had to spend on household items.

I like this because we can clearly see how much is spent on actual bills, and extra things needed like tomorrow I am buying a new vacuum for the house so he will add a little bit to what he transfers, as most likely I will write a check from out account. We only have a checkbook for the account no card that stays in the desk so it takes effort to spend money from it.

We also have one joint credit card which I primarily have both cards but he will take it to work for an emergency or something. Other than that we don't use them.

I like having the joint for bills but love knowing that I don't have to see how much he spends on everything he orders for SS. It also gives me a sense of freedom of if I want to spend something it doesn't matter to DH as long as bils are paid.

QueenBeau's picture

We do joint accounts.

DH & I moved in together when we were engaged, I was 21 he was 25 & I had just graduated college - I had nothing. He had sold all his furniture & spent his savings on an engagement ring for me.

we both had job offers but we had no actual cash. We started it all together. I was making more the first year, now DH makes more. We put all of our checks in one joint account. We each get a 25 dollar a week allowance for "extra stuff" like if I want to get my eyebrows done or buy some earrings or something or if he wants to do something. We use our joint account if we need something, like work clothes or underwear. We use it for just about everything actually.

Never caused any problems.

Steppy MN2's picture

DH and I are older, two skids still living with us when we got married as they are now (custody 60/40, him 60 BM 40). My kids are grown and have jobs & lives & kids of their own. I made sure everything is as seperate as it can possibly be right down to a pre-nup. We live in MY house which my DH has offered to buy 1/2 half of.........no. I have little control over what goes on now (he hides behind kid excuses all the time and is kind of a lazy parent) I can't imagine what it would be like if he owned half. (For example, I had to fight to get him to enforce the skids cleaning their rooms and bathroom they share one time every other week.)
I pay house payment, prop taxes & home insurance. He pays utilities & groceries. Quite frankly, I think he would love it if everything was joint that way, he'd have more resources to spend on his kids. Not a chance.

kellyyy's picture

we tried joint and it didnt work. DH makes less then me and pays chils support, but thought he could use the moneyI brought home to provide extra for his kids when that was my money to take care of my son. He doesnt make alot but refuses to get another job. Now we have a joint to pay bills and groceries and then we have our own accounts for our personal bills, gas, and expenses. It works better because I know my money isnt going to his kids. They have two capable parents who need to get off their asses and take care of them.

JustAgirl42's picture

^^"They have two capable parents who need to get off their asses and take care of them."

Yes.

We even do our grocery shopping separately because I will not allow any of my money to go towards the crap that he and SD eat.

Cocoa's picture

started off joint, Disney daddy syndrome set in and unpaid credit card bills from his first marriage, separated them real quick. one joint bill account. he's broke after child support but thought I was going to finance extras for his kids. separate with a man who can't handle money is the only way to go. and, unlike many posters, I feel ALL the money he brings into this house is marital money and I will have a say in how he spends (only cause we live paycheck to paycheck and have so much debt) and will not allow crazy spending on skids.

BethAnne's picture

I'm in a relatively new marriage and have been contemplating this question. I asked for advice here a few weeks ago and the overwhelming majority of respondents advised keeping as much separate as possible. My husband and I however are keen to have joint finances, I tend to view things from the opposite of most people that I have seen on here. I would rather trust my husband to be responsible with his money (which he is on the whole) and have joint accounts than to argue over who should pay which bill and who should pay for the groceries. One of the reply's I received when I asked my question the other week suggested having at least a savings account in my own name should for some reason my husbands accounts be frozen due to cs complications (not that I expect any, he always pays on time and always has the money, but it seems like a reasonable precaution and a compromise I am happy to accept).

proudstepmommy's picture

DH and I have been together for almost 5 years and married for a year and a half. We have separate accounts for several reasons. 1- we both had bad experiences with joint accounts with our exes, 2- I'm horrible with money, 3- even though I don't make much, if we had a joint account she would go after him for more CS (DH makes quite a bit more than me). Every time I get paid we go over the bills, split most of them in half (he pays 100% of the mortgage (house is in his name), home insurance, windows, his car- I pay 100% of my car)... We split car insurance, electric, gas, groceries, phone, TV, Internet, cellphones. If I get anything or do anything with SD it's taken off my portion of the bills- and (with the exception of special occasions) we split costs on dinner.

It works great for us.

ocs's picture

We met later in life and for both its our first marriage. He sold his house, moved into mine and gave me X dollars a month for half the bills. He offered to buy into the equity of the house with his profit from his sale, but I said no. It was my house.

Then we got married and bought a new house. This time we combined equity and went halfsies. DH pays mortgage and I pay home insurance, utilities, taxes etc.. It roughly works out to a 60/40 split which is like our salaries.

Cell phones and cars we pay our own, as well as car insurance. We travel a lot as well and even then, my flight etc goes on my credit card, his on his, spending money is our own.

We made a commitment in term of what he pays, and what I pay, what we each put towards retirement etc.. the rest is discretionary.

I suppose being single for so long and taking care of it all myself is hard to put aside. I feel like combining gives up my independence? I know what DH pays in child support and I have access to his accounts, but if he spends discretionary on his kid, I don't need to know.

EvilWickedSM's picture

I think it just depends on the people. My first husband and I had joint accounts. It worked well for us. I pretty much took care of all of the finances and both of our checks were direct deposited into one account.

DH and I have separate checking and savings accounts, with a couple joint loans. We just each pay half of the household and joint bills, and are responsible for any credit cards, etc, that are in just our name. Both of our vehicles are in both of our names...he pays for the one he drives and I pay for the one I drive.

I feel, in our case, that this works best for us. I have no desire to see what he spends on the princess. One less thing for us to fight about, I figure Smile