You are here

Any ideas?

mary67's picture

Hi everyone, hope your all having a good weekend! Now to the question. We live in Georgia and have been married a little under a year. My husband got divorced about a year and a half ago. Anyway he did not hire an attorney and got screwed. He never looked at the child support worksheet and recently found out she put 17,000.00 worth of child care on the worksheet when her real cost is about 7-8 thousand. Not only does he overpay child support but has to pay any out of pocket medical costs, contribute every month to a college fund, keep life and disability insurance, plus she gets the tax write off for the kids and long story short he is going in the hole every month and has racked up about 20,000 in debt. We separate our finances (thank god) and he has been paying his portion but is going into major debt to keep up. He doesn't pay anymore than it would cost him to live on his own but there is just not enough and I am not going to make up the difference. I could but I am not going to pay more than my share when he is over paying her! The bitchy BM also works and lives in a big house and doesn't even let the kids bring their clothes over so he is forced to buy them new clothes to wear here. We have called lawyers but keep hearing that unless there is a major change in his financial position he can not file for modification of child support. We moved so that we can be in the same school district and the kids could take the bus here after school but no, she continues to pay for afterschool care rather than let the kids be with their father. I really don't know what to do. At this rate he will be doubling his debt every year with no end in sight. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance.

gobbism's picture

a good one, and renegotiate.

You might engage a friend or a friend of a friend who has or is going through something like that who may recommend somebody. That's how we found ours.

Present your problem and see what they suggest. I think you can most likely work out a more reasonable agreement.

mary67's picture

Thanks for the advice. Does anyone have a lawyer they would refer for filing a modification of child support.

lovetoboard08's picture

I wouldn't listen to whoever told you not to re-file for modification. I had a friend in the same situation and it worked out. I am sorry to hear that things are tough...good for you keeping the finances separate. Hang in there.

Tprettysmile's picture

My husband got a lawyer because BM lied about after care by getting a neighbor to write a letter stating that she keep SD3 after daycare. She also doesn't make any money so DH is paying a ridiculous amt of $$$ every month. Then when SD3 comes EOW he spends more $$$. But not a penny of my $$$ will ever go on her or the son b/c they get enough!!!