You are here

I cannot stand my 7 yr. old step-daughter

michie23's picture

I cannot stand my 7 yr. old step-daughter anymore. She is a vicious little brat that loves to hurt others and does not want to listen to anyone, not even her father. Also before I start getting all the crap about "Oh she's just upset because you came between her mom and dad." let me clear it up. Her bio-mom is dead and has been since 2006. I didn't come into her life until after and she has absolutely NO recollection of her parents being together at all.

This child has been like this since she was 2 yrs. old. She has always been defiant and refused to listen to anyone. At first the only person who came close to making her behave was her grandmother because her dad dumped the kid on her after his wife died and the child thought that she was in fact her mom. She wasn't potty trained until she was almost 3 yrs. old because she refused to go to the bathroom and her dad was too lazy to make her do it. I only got shot down every time I tried to help out and that is the way it has always been.

When the preschool that she was attending was closed and we had to find another one. The grandmother found one down the road from her house and enrolled her. From day one this child acted out, crying and screaming when we dropped her off and hit the other kids. They'd call her grandmother instead of us and it got to the point where we had to pull her because the people had convinced the child that the reason she was acting out was because I was abusing her (which was what they told the grandmother as well). My husband actually did his duty and stood up to his mom and the school and told them that I wasn't hurting this kid. She backed off but I think she never really accepted that I wasn't doing anything to this child.

We changed preschools and her behavior continued until we had to pull her from that one as well and I had to adjust my work schedule so I could stay at home with her. She finally was old enough to go to school and we put her in pre-k and that whole year was a disaster. She got sent to the office 6 times for fighting(once with a little boy who had his arm in a cast) and once for slapping a lunchbox out of her teacher's hands because she was mad. Her teacher even told me in a conference that she was concerned with her mental health. I addressed the situation with her dad and he just got angry and told me never to talk about that with the school again. Her kindergarten year was better but she still has issues with not listening to her teachers.
Her bad behavior has just progressed as she gets older and more vocal. She will tell myself and her father that she doesn't like it when we punish her. We tell her that if she'd act like she is supposed to then she wouldn't get punished. Nothing works, we have spanked her, taken things away from her, made her sit in time out, and every other discipline tactic, NOTHING WORKS!! This kid just DOES NOT CARE that she is hurting other people and she thinks that she should be able to do whatever she wants regardless of her actions. I have told her that if she continues to act out one day she is going to pick on the wrong person and they are going to hurt her. She just looks at me like she doesn't believe me.

Like I said she is now 7 and in first grade and has already been sent to the office 3 times for not listening and harming her classmates.
She has never really known what true punishment is because even if her dad spanks her he'll go to her room and hug her and apologize about 30 minutes later or if he takes her TV privelages away its only for about an hour or so and then he lets her have it back and he always lets he go to the zoo, the movies, an amusement park etc with her grandmother even though she has acted out. I completely disagree with this and tell him so but his words are always, "My mom is going and she paid for the ticket. It's part of being a kid to be able to do these things and I'm not taking that away from her."
I personally believe that if a child has slapped someone or even punched someone (which she does frequently) then she should not be allowed to go and have fun at a park or a zoo regardless of who paid for the flippin ticket!!
I have told him several times that if he takes somethng away from her that she really really wants to do enough times it may get through to her. Who cares about not getting to watch TV for a while when you have a room full of video games and toys to play with? Big whoop!!
The biggest thing that concerns me is that she gives you this look when we are punishing her like she could kill you if she thought she could do it. I am afraid this child is going to hurt someone if we don't get this under control.
I've sent notes to the school for them to paddle her if the offense deserves it and all her dad could say was that I better not ever tell them to so that again.
I'm at a loss. Her behavior is getting out of control and I dont really have any support on this. Her (perfect) grandmother is completely convinced that she is learning this from someone else because God forbid this kid actually have a thought of her own and is capable of making a decision to hurt someone. I personally think that is BS. This woman only sees this kid when we are at her house now and of coarse she isn't going to act out around her because that would let her grandmother see exactly how bad she really is and she wont take her anywhere anymore. This kid isn't stupid!!
If anyone can help me please do.

Anon2009's picture

Is this child getting any professional help at all? There may be something going on medically and/or psychologically. Having DH talk to her doctor and tell them everything you just stated here would be a great way to start.

It's really amazing what kids can remember. She might have repressed memories of her mom. How did her mom die? Did she witness it?

My grandmother's mom died when she was 4. She remembers seeing her mother ill, and going to her wake. Granted, she doesn't remember every single little thing that happened. But it has stuck with her.

I also think you and Dad need to get on the same page regarding consequences, rules, etc. Maybe marriage counseling could help you do that.

Best of luck to all of you.

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

I think at this point, the best thing that could happen to this child would be for the state to get involved. Somebody needs to get this kid help. That is excessive behavior even for a bratty kid. Another parent burying his head in the sand. I'm so sick of these parents only worrying about how things affect THEM.

I hope somebody steps in and does something for this kid. Otherwise, she's going to have a hard, miserable life. Sad

michie23's picture

No my husband nor anyone in his family will allow her or anyone else in this family to see a doctor like that. His job forced him to go to a counselor after his wife died and he said it didn't help him at all. Her mom was killed in a car accident when she was 16 months old and yes she was in the car when it happened but I dont think she has any recollection of the event at all. She's never said anything about it.
Her grandmother swears that she burst into tears one afternoon screaming that she missed her sister and when the grandmother told her that she was in school(my 17 yr. old daughter.....her step-sister) she cried out not her the other one. She does have a half sister that is a couple years older than her that was in the car as well but she has NEVER mentioned this child before then or after so I am tempted to believe that this was just a BS story made up by her grandmother to make my husband feel bad.
If she does remember anything nobody will ever know because her father wont allow her to talk to anyone about it. I'm sure it affected her that he dumped her on his mom right after it happened and barely pays any attention to her at all. He did give me permission to act in his absence at school when it comes to her conferences and things like that. I want her tested but I'm not sure if I can actually do anything just being the step-mom.
Her mother did have a lot of mental issues herself...manic depressive, bipolar, and schizophrenia. I'm just scared that she has all these and she has defintely shown signs of OCD and ADHD....
I forgot to mention before that she has a tendency to bite herself or her clothing when she is being punished or told something she doesn't want to hear. She also pulls at her clothes and claws herself until she bleeds. I have told her several times that she shouldn't be hurting herself and that she better not even think about telling people that those marks are coming from other people. (Which she has done before)
Anytime she gets a bruise or mark of any kind her grandmother loses it and suggests that she is being abused at home when she IS NOT!!!
Sometimes I think her grandmother is just itching for a reason to call child protective services but what she doesn't realize is if she does and they take her in to observe her they will see that something is wrong and tell this woman that the child is disturbed and she may get taken away and it will be all their fault.
Believe me if I thought it would help I'd call them myself but I know that would end my marriage because her dad would lose it. Like I said I am at my wits end and do not know what to do. She and I got along very well when she was a baby but as she has gotten older she has turned into a little monster and I can't stand to be in the same room with her.

Anon2009's picture

If that's the case, I really feel for her and you, because by not allowing her to talk to someone, her dad is really damaging her. She has no control over anything in this situation or its outcome. The adults do. She can't decide where she lives or who takes care of her. I'm betting that she does remember that car accident.

I know you won't agree with this, but you should call CPS. If DH wants a divorce, that is on him, and you can know you did all you could to help him be a better parent. By not getting her tested for the same issues her mom had and not getting her professional help, he is really setting her up for a hard life. I also think that you need to take care of yourself and your DD and the happiness for both of you. All this stress and tension is unhealthy for all of you, and certainly won't help bring about progress for SD.

Is there any way you could seek counseling for just you? It can be a great way to clear your head and hear ideas from a true outsider.

CalgonTakeMeAway's picture

^^^^I agree with Anon. I was thinking that maybe you should call CPS. Somebody needs to advocate for this child. Maybe her dad just doesn't want to know if something is wrong with her. What you don't know can't hurt you, right? Wrong.

stepwife's picture

DO NOT CALL CPS! Please do not give up on this little girl. You may be her only voice and chance at being heard. DO NOT CALL CPS! This will only bring you more stress and will not give this little girl what she needs... therapy & a formal diagnosis. Go back to the school and speak with them. Yes, behind your husband's back. I said it. I don't care about "the rules" when someone is in as desperate a place as this little girl. See if you can get a formal recommendation from them to have her checked out/get therapy.

If she indeed inherited mental illness, it is only going to get worse without help. Eventually, she could become a drug addict/alcoholic to self medicate. You are her chance. It's alot of responsibility, I know, but can you imagine being in a car when your mom died? She may not remember all of it, but she was old enough to remember something.

She is a little girl who is confused and angry and may feel abandoned and doesn't know why. Those are for the professionals to handle, but it is your job to get her some help if her father will not. You will be in my prayers tonight. You will be in my thoughts.

Check this website daily for continued encouragement....God bless you on your journey. Do not be afraid to rock the boat. This child needs help and you can see that. Do whatever it takes to get her to a therapist and psychiatrist. Whatever it takes. You are the voice for this child. If you had died with your daughter in the car, you would want her to have the best help in her stepmom's power to make sure she can live some kind of a positively functioning life. It will not be easy, but you can do this. You can do this.