You are here

At My Wits End

LillyLady's picture

Hi everyone. I'm new here and so glad to have found this forum.

I have two adult step-children, 23 and 26 years old and I've simply had it up to my neck with their prima-donna attitudes and gold digging. I don't want to create a problem; but they seem to have absolutely no respect regarding finances or cleanliness. My husbands son constantly asks for money and his daughter seems to think we're a hotel. Both of them work and neither one of them cleans or helps support the household in any way. Their father makes the occassional comment, but really does nothing to help with the matter. He seems to give in more often than not and I wish he would just stop feeding into it.

Should I just stop everything all together? I'm tired of giving out money and I'm tired of cleaning up after them. I'm worried that I'm going to go off on one of them if things don't change. I just get so disgusted about everything and it's a hard place to be in.

Thanks for letting me vent.

winehead's picture

You and your husband need to decide on boundaries. Do both steps live with you? If so, then it takes four people to run the household. All four have expectations and responsibilities. No freeloading, adults don't clean up after adults. Both kids must have household responsibilities and both should be paying rent. They've got it so easy there is no reason they'll ever leave.

If they're both working, then why are you giving them money? I bet they have enough cash for a night out with their friends. I'd definitely cut off the gravy train. An emergency is one thing.

How will these kids ever learn how to function as adults if not given the opportunity to act like one?

And it's FINE to be angry. Channel it into energy useful for talking with your husband to make changes that are long overdue. If he's always allowed his kids to be selfish slobs, the kids have no reason to act any other way. It's your husband who is the bigger problem here, and he needs to start acting like a dad.

LillyLady's picture

Yes, they live with us and that is part of the problem. He has allowed them to act this way for so long and it's going to be hard to change the situation. I feel that they are too old to be acting this way. So what is the appropriate action here? I don't want to over react. I mean, they are his kids and he seems to get upset if I talk negatively about them; but I'm ready to hit the cieling with everything.

sandye21's picture

"he seems to get upset if I talk negatively about them". Don't allow him to use you as a scape goat. He should be insisting they respect you as his wife. Expecting you to take the crap shows very little concern for your welfare. Disengage. Let HIM pick up after them and give them HIS money. Then things will change.

momof5_1969's picture

If it was me I'd be having a sit down chat with my DH and try and explain how much this is wearing on you, your marriage. If necessary, suggest marital counseling to get your point across. Those two are old enough they need to move out. It would be nice if he would be on board with setting a time limit for a move out date. Also a family meeting, with both of you as a united front, that both these adults need to pay rent, set a move out date, and clean up after themselves, and also help with household chores. I know, easier said than done.

I wish you all the best. If anything, if husband won't go with you to a counselor, maybe start going yourself.

purpledaisies's picture

Yep too old to be living at home! They need to move out ASAP! YOu need to have a heart to heart with your dh. Let him know how you feel and ask him how would he feel if the roles were reversed. Hopefully he will get the point. Good luck.

frustratedstepdad's picture

First, cut them off financially. That needs to be your immediate first step because it's the one thing YOU can control right away. Focus first on things YOU can control. Next time they ask for money, just say no. Don't even offer any explanation, just say no and walk away.
If needed, you may also want to consider separate bank accounts, then all of the money they borrow can come out of HIS account. I guarantee you he will put an end to it real quick if this happens. My wife was VERY bad about giving my SD's (all above the age of 21) money. I warned her she needed to stop, but she wouldn't. I told her we were getting separate bank accounts, and it was not up for discussion. Guess what happened. She immediately stopped giving them money.

Also you need to sit down with DH and come up with a definite move out date. If he doesn't think they should be given a move out date, then once again we go back to the separate bank accounts. With your own account, start putting aside some money each date so you can get your own place. You let him know that without some timeframe for when they are to move out, you will be getting your own place. Like I said, start focusing on things YOU can control. YOU can control your own money, and YOU can control where you live.

Shaktihgm's picture

I agree w/ frustrated. It seems to me from reading many of these posts and from my own experience w/ASD that all parties are assessing and leveraging everyone's weaknesses. You don't want to hurt DH; DH knows you don't really want to leave; SKs are betting you don't want to upset DH. Unfortunately, sometimes someone has to give an ultimatum, and follow through. Its human nature to push the envelope. At least my SD knows (and DH too)that no matter what happens, she will never live in my house. I have made as many sacrifices for her as for my 2BC and she has squandered every one of them. The thing is, you still have years of life to live. Take care of yourself.

new2 me's picture

BEEN there, I had a 24ss with 2y/o and 30ss living with us. Its very hard trying to talk to the father about his grown ass kids. My husband would say eventhough they are grown they are still my kids. Well, one good things is yours have jobs ,mines didnt have shit and lived here for free and they didn't clean up or anything. Every chance they got they were in their father's wallet. I'm so glad he finally wise up and see the situation for what it really was. I would complain about dishes not been wash and the bathroom the only time it got cleaned is when we have visitors. It was awful and I'm so glad they are gone and I hope and pray they don't come back.