You are here

Had Enough!!!

laverne57's picture

Married to my husband 5 years. He has 8 children all adult over the age of 40. 4 are biological and 4 are previous step children. The ex-wife is deceased. I have 3 children. Initially, I thought all was going well. I entered the family with hopes of having a big family. We were included in all family events. One stepson personally invited me and even called me stepmom. One day a discussion which turned into an argument developed with this son and I was cursed beyond belief. He immediately texted all siblings and begin to tell his version of the conversation. He indicated that I called the mom a "B", which is far from the truth. Mind you, I was told by all that this sibling was a liar, and wondered if he grew up in the same house they had. His wife was present,but got amnesia. Suddenly he became Abe Lincoln and could tell no lies. I began to receive hate text and face book nasty comments from siblings and grandchildren. I was told by a daughter-n-law I was not a family member. Interesting since my husband produced the son that made her a family member. I received text from as far as England. No one wanted to hear my version I was just found guilty. Thus begin the unraveling of the blended family. I was hurt, I always thought if you had an issue with someone it was between the two of you. This family embraces the mob mentality. They don't want facts just a reason to attack. Because of this incident, it became a problem with family functions. I as an adult have the ability to attend a function and not create a disturbance. My husband advised all the family members that I would be respected, just like they feel their wives should be respected. They said they understood, but their actions indicated something else. The last straw was when a sibling who my husband has raised since the age of 7 and we have supported financially, even put food on her and her grandchildren's table, had a milestone Birthday. The event was held at a son's house who had invited us to Thanksgiving dinner. The party was never mentioned, even though it was being held at his house. The birthday person lives in another state and we had told her we would be there for her birthday. I called to ask her what was happening for her birthday, and was told oh, I already celebrated. All her siblings came, those from Florida, Texas and other parts of the country. My husband was never told about the celebration. His son said he did not want my husband and the brother to have words.My husband felt if a choice was to be made it should have been him, who had the option to go or not. This is just the most recent example. My husband has decided to no longer be involved in the pettiness that goes on. My husband was hurt as he has been the only father the four stepchildren and his own have known. He married their mom at the age of 19yrs old. He says that he is at peace and I support his decision to end all contact with them. To some this may be petty, but I don't have enough time or space to include all the nastiness that has taken place over the 5 years.

hereiam's picture

Nasty people, with nasty attitudes, do not have to be tolerated, I don't care how they are related.

Thumper's picture

^^^agreed with heriam^^^^

It took awhile for my dh and I to figure this out. BUT we did and our lives are so much healthier and richer because of it.

(((HUGS)))

Twinkletoes's picture

thankfully your dh is not willing to participate in this nonsense. what you describe happened to me as well. Never got to tell my side and frankly I don't give a damn anymore. People can believe what they like and those that don't know your side and just take sides without the truth are not worth your time. Walk away from all this and go on with your life. Some people just don't know how to be civil. its a shame but its a fact.

notasm3's picture

One should always write aholes off. No good comes from keeping them in your life.

watergirl714's picture

I'm sorry you're hurting. It can come as a shock but be glad you're seeing their true colors now. Just think of how relaxing and stress free planning will be going forward. I truly believe you should spend as much time with people who love and support you, who want to spend time with you, who you enjoy also. Time really is short and you never know what the future holds. Be thankful you have a husband who supports your position fully. Over time, you may see their position change. Sometimes, people grow tired of the drama or grow up. In both cases, you may get an invite out of the blue or some other solicitation for money or gifts. If that happens, I hope DH sticks to his guns and demands you be included and respected. At that point, it can be your choice to opt out of whatever you don't want to waste your time with. In the long run, blood may be thicker than you realize and it may just be that you're always on the outside looking in. When you get tired of the view and disengage, you'll find a certain peace of mind that comes with not caring anymore. They are adults and making choices.

Stepdrama11's picture

Agree, be grateful your DH has your back. Agree, huge high five to him. You are one of the lucky ones.