You are here

UPDATE TO CUSTODY HEARING.. I think they should start drug testing judges

stepmomsoon's picture
Forums: 

What an absolute joke..

Had our day in court last week.. got the paperwork with the ruling and seriously.. the judge must be on something..

BM had a job making 50k then all of a sudden after she bails on her kids and dumps them on us.. she "gets laid off".. yea right... she allegedly moved over an hour away because "her territory" was expanding - or at least that was her excuse in May.

DH had a major paycut this year as he took a sales job and things need to ramp up - his income dropped by 60% (it sucks right now, but in time it will pay off)..

The moron judge somehow thinks it's ok to take DH's income from 2012 - which is 60% LOWER than it is now and use that number to establish child support AND at the same time use BM's current unemployment income...

Is it just me or is this ridiculous? He isn't making that kind of money anymore and she isn't making what she did a year ago either - how is it fair to use his prior income numbers and not hers????

The support amount he ordered her to pay is only 200/month - for two teenage boys!!! This doesn't even cover LUNCH MONEY.. she doesn't contribute to anything - sports, clothes, school supplies.. nothing!

DH and I are pissed and worried..

pissed because this is now another "thing" we have to deal with because of her decision to bail on her kids and move away with hubby.. we now have to file an objection and do a bunch of paperwork, then wait and go to court all over again..

worried because financially we don't know how much longer we can do this with the resources we have..

Any advice? Help!!

amber3902's picture

You will learn that hardly nothing in family court is "fair". However, to use 2012 income for biodad but not for biomom does not seem right.

I'd shop around and see what family law attorneys give free consultations. Meet with them and ask them their advice.

You can also ask for advice on an internet divorce forum as well - which is what I advised you to do when you posted on here before your DH had his court date.

EdgeOfReason's picture

I think what the judge did here, as they did for us when we went for CS from unemployed mom, was base her contribution on minimum wage because she has no income.

I'd bet that you dh's income didn't factor into it at all. If the two of them were unemployed she'd still be paying that amount.