You are here

Skids showering together?

wth was I thinking's picture

I don't have kids, and I don't have any sisters, so I guess I don't really have any perspective on this... Is it weird for 9 and 10 year old sisters to ask to shower together almost every time? To me it is bizarre, but my frame of reference may be off, I don't know.

HungryEyes's picture

That is strange (to me) but I can totally see this happening in my case too in a few years.

I never showered with siblings and things like that were kept very private.

My twin boys are 7 and I don't let them bath together any more (not since they were 5).

In the US, it's frowned upon more by society, I believe. In Europe, I know they have more relaxed rules around these things.

My house was a definitely no, no. and thus this probably influences my thoughts to say 'That is weird to me.'

ksmom14's picture

It's a bit odd, but it doesn't shock me by any means. My sister and I were very close growing up, we didn't shower together but we would get in/out of the shower or change with the other one in the room etc.

My two step daughters would probably be showering together (also ages 10 & 9) if they had been allowed to in the past, they do everything together.

Now's the age it probably needs to stop though, they'll start going thru puberty very soon here if not already starting.

Disneyfan's picture

SDs 7&9 still take baths and showers together. It drives me nuts (but I don't say anything because they aren't my kids) because the nine year old (she's a HUGE girl) is fully developed and has her period. It wouldn't bother at all if puberty hadn't hit so early.

Disneyfan's picture

Period, breast, hips and pubic hair.

It's all because(I believe) of her weight.

Tuff Noogies's picture

that might just be genetic. myself, mom, and g-mom all got ours at 9.

i believe i'd start effecting changes in the bathing routine by puberty at the very very latest...

zerostepdrama's picture

I was 12.... in 7th grade... Thinking of my niece who is 9, I can not imagine her being mature enough to handle what comes with a period.

fakemommy's picture

Eh. That's fine. It isn't as bad since they are both girls, but it still weirds me out. Probably just me though.

fakemommy's picture

FYI, the only hormones in any foods are the naturally occurring hormones. It is ILLEGAL to give ANY food consumption animals hormones. Children get their periods earlier because they are bigger and because of genetics. I'm sure there have always been little girls who started at 9, the difference is that now people are more comfortable talking about these things.

Ughugh's picture

Same here. I also know that the shower head was on high and bottles and bottles of roll on deodorant was used in these shower sessions between sisters and friends.

Lavender's picture

I really don't see the problem with children that young seeing each other naked and showering together. It's completey natural to them. But hey I live in Europe, children here are naked on the beach, its not a big deal. (Before puberty of course)