You are here

paying stepson to do chores?

letitbe63's picture

My stepson's mom and new step dad have recently started paying my stepson $20 a week to do his regular weekly chores (cleaning his room, vacuuming etc.). Now my stepson thinks that we should also pay him money every week for doing his chores. I think that it's good to give children an allowance every week to teach them how to manage money, but I think that paying them to do their regular chores isn't teaching them anything.Those daily chores are life skills to me. I understand letting them earn extra money for tackling a project like helping to clean the garage or painting a room, but paying him to clean his room? I just think it's a bit much. Am I in the wrong for thinking this? I don't have any children, so maybe I'm being too harsh? My husband agrees, but I'm just trying to see what other people's opinions are.

letitbe63's picture

Ya, I'm afraid that if we start paying him to clean his room then he will expect money first before doing anything. It seems like it's a slippery slope.

coping's picture

Different house, different rules. It may not be easily received by your SS, but I get it.

MamaFox's picture

My Mom gave me an allowance as a kid for doing my chores every week. She put it in a bank account. I'm really glad she did, It helped me learn a lot about banks and check books and what not.

I never asked her for extra money for doing "extra chores", All chores belonged to us. We only got paid if we did ALL of them. Even now I dont ask her for money for anything, unless I can pay her back with in 72 hours.

Not saying that will work for you, but it might.

counseling.advocate's picture

I don't pay them for chores they are expected to do. I'll give them a little bit when they help out with something outside the normal requirements.

$20 per week is $80 per month. X2 house=$160 for chores? Ridiculous. To save the kid from becoming entitled, selfish, if he hasn't already, figure out a better way that makes him really earn it.

I really hard to work hard for my $ growing up. My mom had none of it pretty much. I would go to my Gmas house every other week or so and do a ton of chores, and she taught me with precision I'm telling you. For $20. I think she just wanted to help my mom provide for me and give me some cash and some work ethic. It paid off!

rahrah2019's picture

One time, very early on, my husband suggested giving SS an allowance. I imagine it was to relieve the guilt of not just handing him over money on a whim once I took over the finances. My response was basically: "For what? Breathing?" I have never seen him do one thing even in the way of general upkeep of his own room, let alone anything in the rest of the house. Lazy to the core. My DH has made a valiant effort to talk to him about helping out....bwahahahahaha..... but has never made him do anything. Personally, I don't care. I'd rather he not touch anything in my house. But the lack of any kind of parenting that will help him to be a responsible adult is sad.

I don't believe in giving kids money for simply doing their part. That's just called teaching basic responsibility. If they go above and beyond, that's another story. I'd be willing to pay out for a kid that just significantly made my life easier.

OrangeUGlad's picture

Doesn't matter.

Bm can do it her way at her place, you guys do it the way you prefer at yours.

SugarSpice's picture

paying a child to do chores in insane. paying a child to pick up his room and vaccum the den? this leads to a spoiled brat who wants to be paid for doing something he should do without being paid.