You are here

Need advice-breaking point? Help!

Zara123's picture

Hi everyone. I need advice from folks who have insights into step family situations.

I have been in a five year relationship with a man who has two kids. We have been engaged for two of these years. We live together and he has 50/50 custody of his 7 and 5 year old. I am 41 years old and don't have children of my own. We've tried to have a baby but have been unsuccessful. The issue is I am miserable with this man especially when it comes to his kids. My partner is raising two entitled, emotionally manipulative children and our relationship and everything else revolves around them. They laugh at chores, say they hate one another and create messes and drama all day long. They scream nonstop, run on furniture, don't pick up after themselves, refuse to things that are asked. So they are misbehaving but on the other hand, they can be super sweet and very loving. Ironically, I love them but tolerating their behavior is difficult for me. I blame their parents for this primarily as the kids were bor raised with boundaries or respect. The issue is my partner does not see these issues and he tends to them as the priority in his life even though it causes issues.

For instance, his children wanted a dog. Initially I was okay with it but then realized it would just another thing I would have to clean up after. My partner and kid kids are very messy and do not care to pick up after themselves even though I have told I get anxious in cluttered environments. I gave the dog a lot of thought and told him, I did not have the mental bandwidth for a puppy, my intense-high stress 60 hour a week job, and the 2 kids. I told him I would not stop them but I wanted him to know my feelings and that I would be unable to help with dog and that candidly, I did not think the kids would help with the dog. Well, he got the puppy and our home turned into a zoo. The kids rule up the dog but do not help with it at all. Between the kids, the dog, the pandemic, the relationship issues with my partner and my long work weeks, I reached a breaking point and took an actual leave from my job. I just could not handle it anymore. 

This is the background. This morning my fiancé was disrespectful to me (called me the b word) and said it was just a joke. I have told him countless times not to joke with me like this. Admittedly, he jokes in a very offensive and crude way. Towards me and everyone he is close enough to. I blew up at him, left the house and am at a friend's house right now.

I don't know what to do. My leave may turn into unemployment during a pandemic. I don't know if I can stay in this relationship. I'm 41 and scared to be alone. I have a family support system and financially, I am able to move on from this.

Any advice?

Rumplestiltskin's picture

This relationship sounds miserable. Life is too short to be miserable! 

CastleJJ's picture

If children is something you want, you can have that without a man. I would leave this relationship and look into adopting or fostering if you are looking to have a family. Change is scary but you don't need this miserable relationship. 

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Leave. You have the financial means and the support of family - just do it. It has been 5 years and it sounds like things are getting worse instead of better. Time to cut your losses and move on and find the happiness and peace that you deserve.

Winterglow's picture

Go back to your job and move out of this hell hole. You need to get your normality and self-repect back. Working can help with that. So can moving out.

tog redux's picture

Get out now - 41 is YOUNG. I met DH at 44 and married at 47.

There are much better men out there for you to find. Please don't tie yourself to this man by getting pregnant - use donor sperm if you are worried about the window of fertility.

StepMum123's picture

After reading this, it seems there is no respect for you in that house. You told your fiancé that you did not want to get a Dog and he got one anyway. The kids don't seem to appreciate you being there or what you do for them. I would leave and don't look back. You are 41 years young and right now this is not the life so you. Keep strong and set yourself some goals for the year ahead to keep you busy!

Stepdrama2020's picture

41 is young. Now mama go shake your thing elsewhere. Your DH is an A hole.

You sound like you can care for yourself and have family support that is enough to propel you to a better life.