You are here

more than just a back seat

SugarSpice's picture

dh and i married when the skids were all in nappies and he has always been a disney dad. no discipline for the skids and they learned they could get abusive with me when they were teens. dh was non custodial so the skids were forever jerking him around for him to buy them thing like computer games and expensive clothes or they would ignore him for months while he left begging voice mails on their phones...that he paid for.

fast forward. one of the sds and sil is moving to our town. dh is now on the path to turn sil into mini husband. dh has such a man crush on sil. dh has bought sil expensive gifts such as accessories for snowmobile and hunting equipment. of course, the young sil is dazzled and considers dh his best friend. sd and sil go on hunting trips with friends of dh.

if i was never a priority in the life of dh once the skids turned into adults (my usefulness was over), now sd and sil take center stage.

SugarSpice's picture

it is indeed time to move on. dh fragile ego is in the beginning of a full midlife crisis. skids are getting married and fil and mil are in ill health, with dh dumping all of his savings to make up for their lives of poor choices. and now dh is clawing at his sil to make him into his best friend. the poor young man is being "courted" with expensive gifts like snow mobile things and hunting equipment. its so humiliating for me to watch this. the young man is dazzled with the "just because" gifts. dh is defensive about all this money and snarls. "cant i give a gift to my sil?!"