You are here

If your skids were younger...

sammmx's picture

Like <4/5 years old, would you still disengage? (& the custody arrangement were the same as it is now).

TASHA1983's picture

If the skids were awful hellions then heck yeah I would!!! HIS KIDS...HIS PROBLEM!!!! IMO Wink

Disneyfan's picture

My SDs are 5 and 7. I don't parent them. They have 2 parents, there's no need for a third. I will help DF with some things from time to time,but I refuse to step in and take over.

I made it clear early on that I didn't have some odd desire to play mommy to his kids.

daysleeper's picture

My SD is 6. I don't have much to do with her discipline. I'll tell SO that she should be disciplined because she did this or that, he'll consider what I've said, and if he agrees, he disciplines her, and if not, he doesn't. Not my kid, not my problem. Biggrin

3familiesIn1's picture

Mine are 6 and 12. Yes I have disengaged. I have 2 bios, 12 and 8. Perhaps my level of disengagement is different than some. I think its different in each situation.

I provide basic needs. Snacks, dinner, laundry, answer questions that cannot wait for DH. I keep them out of danger - otherwise I am disengaged.

Even homework - SS6 fights - he argues everything - I refuse to do homework with him, there is nothing wrong with DH helping him when he gets home. For this, if SS6 is going to argue, I simply say, I am not sure, you will have to wait until your father gets here to help you. I refuse to argue with a 6 year old on math.

We have the skids 50% of the time.

stepmom1989's picture

I'm fully involved, unfortunately. Youngest was 6 months old when I met DH. She is now turning 5 this year. Oldest turned 7 last May. They where young when me and DH got together and it has gotten harder over the years as they get older. I regret agreeing to keep skids full-time in the summer when me and DH wrote thigsvup for child support things and such. Now I wish itwas strickly every other weekend... period.