You are here

Husband filed taxes

Mamasammy's picture

im A stay at home mom and my husband works Monday - Friday. Once or twice a week I will do door dash or instacart just to have some extra cash. I've asked my husband several times in the past two months when we are supposed to get our tax refund and he keeps saying they are withholding it because he hasn't paid all his child support to his ex. Last night I asked him again when he plans on getting it and he tells me he already got it. I haven't seen that money in our account. I asked where he put it and it's in "our savings" which I don't have access to but need to be put on that account ASAP as of last night. He said he only received the state return not the federal. Which I don't believe. He said he was going to use the tax money to pay off my car and pay off some of his credit card but wanted to make sure he pays off my car first. So he gets the refund and puts it all toward his credit card. None for me. We have a child together so that we get a tax credit for him. He said the federal return might still show up or it's all gone to child support. I can't even trust that he really got 500$. This is my breaking point I've had it. We talked last night and he apologized only after I mentioned he hadn't and it is bs he did that. When I looked at our amazon account which he's bought a lot off of recently when we are typically pretty broke I realized the date he got his refund was early February. When I asked when he got it he said the end of February. This morning I realize that you can't file a refund without signatures. I haven't signed anything this year for taxes. When I confronted him he said he did it online and had to check a box but when I research online it says you physically have to sign. That's fraud! I'm so beyond pissed. I asked him for the tax documents and I don't think he's going to provide them to me. How can I find this refund without his help? Should I call the IRS? 

SteppedOut's picture

Yes, call the IRS. They can provide the information to you.

Is your husband $5000 or more behind on his CS payments? They only take the refund if his arrears are that high. 

Also, you really should strongly consider this relationship. 

Mamasammy's picture

I don't think he's that behind in child support. I think he said it was only like two grand. I am definitely considering a divorce. I've had it. 

CLove's picture

You can file electronically without signatures. I use Turbo Tax, and file for both of us, and have the account tied to my bank account for the purpose of direct deposit. So - he purchased a lot of things around early Feb? And that you think is because he actually recieved a refund he didnt tell you about?

Time to go through the computer and your paperwork, find out what else he might be hiding. Lies are like cockroaches, where there is one there are more...

This is definitely financial abuse.

simifan's picture

The IRS Can give you copies of the returns (ya know when the country opens back up). But if you can't get your DH to show them to you, you have much bigger issues then a tax return. 

Thumper's picture

Call the IRS

NOW

I am sorry he is doing this to you.

You could pull up your bank account on line and tell him to SHOW YOU were the deposit is? Since he said the tax return already hit your account.

CompletelyPuzzled's picture

If you are married and filing jointly, you can file an injured spouse form with your taxes.  It allows you to reserve any money for you and your dependents. This means that you will get a check for your part of the taxes.  The government can take your DH's tax refund to pay back child support, but not your part. If I were you, I would call the IRS and get the correct forms.  If you file injured spouse, that check comes to you and he has no rights to itm. And yes, you can file the injured spouse forms after your taxes and even after they have seized the money.

Mamasammy's picture

Even if I'm a stay at home mom I'd still get something back? 

Rags's picture

You may be able to request injured spouse relief with the IRS that will prevent DH from collecting your part of any refunds.

Call the IRS.

Good luck.

I am not a CPA but I do sleep with one every night.  I will ask her what options you may have beyond the possibility of claiming injured spouse relief from the IRS.