You are here

AITA- Disney Vacation Club

walfredo's picture

Quick background... my wife and I blended families under one roof about 2.5 years ago.  Been married for about 1.5 years.

She has 1 son, I have 3 sons. We do not blend finances, except for our agreed share of the mortgage and utilities for the house we share.  Both work, both do well.

Anyway... pre-marriage we signed an agreement a lawyer drafted that listed our individual assets, what our responsiblities toward the shared mortgage and home expenses are, and basically states we keep other finances seperate and don't combine/share/co-mingle any other finances.

Anyhow, right or wrong, that has been our working model, and it seems to work ok.  This week, my wife presented me with some legal forms for an "interspousal transfer of title" that she is saying Disney is requiring me to sign and have notorized in order for her to buy into their vacation club thingy... 

I don't have any interest in owning this thing, now or ever, but I asked her why it needs to have a seperate form signed, and to my understanding in order for me to transfer title, I would have to first own part of the title. In order for me to own part of the title, that would mean the terms of our pre marriage agreement are not valid (something you bought on your own is yours, not ours)... which would mean we would either need these type of one off transfer docs for all past and future purchases, or we are just comingling everything and if we don't want to do that we should correct whatever needs correcting with the current agreement. (I don't think anything needs correcting)

She is really mad, and saying stuff about womens rights, and it being bullshit she needs my permission to buy this thing... I said the document you are giving isnt asking me for my permission for you to buy anything, its asking me to transfer something that I don't think I should ever have ownership of to transfer?  Like if you try to buy the thing, they will sell it you. You don't need me to sign anything... but you feel you need extra protection of a legal document, that from my perspective directly contradicts what we have signed and currentlly have in place, for this one item?  I don't get it?

Anyway, I'm probably the asshole... but I feel like the assumption that I will just sign legal documents without discussion or explanation why they are needed is unreasonable.  Thoughts welcome?

Yesterdays's picture

I don't get why if this property was not previously owned why is the deed or property being transferred? Also why from you to her if you don't own any of this? What exactly is she trying to purchase? If she can't tell you what and why she's purchasing something that is a huge issue 

And obviously you can't sign anything you don't understand. 

This all seems really fishy.. Particularly her behavior surrounding this? It feels coercive also because she wants you to sign something that you don't understand and then she's acting really defensive? 

I feel like you should first ask your wife what is going on and what exactly she's asking for and what she's trying to purchase. THEN... DO NOT SIGN a thing but take the form to a lawyer and ask what is going on 

Yesterdays's picture

This Disney vacation club seems like it is some sort of timeshare that cost tens of thousands of dollars to be part of? 

hereiam's picture

my wife presented me with some legal forms for an "interspousal transfer of title" that she is saying Disney is requiring me to sign and have notorized in order for her to buy into their vacation club thingy... 

I'm confused. Will this be putting your name on the title of what sh'es trying to buy into? Is this a way for them to make you have ownership, so they can come after you for payment if she doesn't pay? 

If this is stopping her from buying into their vacation club thingy, I'm thinking it's not something you want to sign. It sounds like they want to make you liable, like a co-signer or something.

notarelative's picture

"She is really mad, and saying stuff about womens rights..."

If she's serious about women's rights, than she should be mad at whoever is requesting you to sign.

Take the papers to your lawyer, the one who drafted  the prenup, and have him/her look at them. To me, something is off with her explanation. (If wife owned this prior to marriage it should be listed in the prenup.)

Owning a Disney Timeshare (aka Vacation Club) is expensive. If you don't want one, don't sign anything until after your lawyer has looked at it and you understand what you are signing.

2Tired4Drama's picture

... here you go.

I think you made a mistake marrying this woman. 

I've taken a quick look-back at your posts over the past two years and see nothing positive in them, other than the two of you have/had great chemistry together.  Good sex does not balance out everything else that is bad, at least not in a healthy relationship. 

You and your wife don't agree on much, she doesn't seem to like your kids nor does her kid, your kids don't seem to be comfortable in this situation, and she consistently seems to place just about everyone else's needs above yours, including her own. If she doesn't get her way, without any questions from you, she resorts to baseless claims of misogyny and gaslights you.

Deep down, you know this is not a healthy marriage -- that is why your condescention for her is obvious in every post you've made. 

I think you have much bigger problems than her purchasing a timeshare.  

CajunMom's picture

RUN!!!! Do not sign ANYTHING to do with that timeshare without having an attorney review it. I cannot speak for a Disney Timeshare but I know volumes of the Hilton and Hyatt time shares. Disasters. And once in that mess, you WILL spend thousands of dollars getting out of it. So, no....don't do it. We've had several friends take massive financial hits on those things.

And you are not the Ass. Your wife is the one being a doofus. If she wants to get herself stuck in a timeshare nightmare, she needs to do it on her own. Nothing to do with her being "female." SMH

Rags's picture

My DW's work husband and his husband own max Disney points, and max Diamond Resort (Now Hilton) points. They consider those programs to be their "2nd home".  They hit Disney at least half a dozen times year or more and take at least 2-3 international Diamond resort trips per year.  We get invitations to accompany them regularly.

I have to say, if resources are not a consideration, their model gives a huge amount of flexibility.

We have never purchased time share and do not plan on it.

Get these docs to your attorney and sign nothing until you meet with the attorney and clearly understand the implications.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

My guess is they won't let one half of a married couple buy it on their own without the other half signing something to indicate they don't own part of it. If that makes sense. Please do not sign anything until you have your lawyer look at it.

Dollbabies's picture

your income is being factored into the membership? That she would be denied if she was on her own?

I'd definitely see a lawyer before doing anything. 

ESMOD's picture

I would pass this by a lawyer to make sure nothing you are signing obligates you to any ownership or any payment obligation.

It may be that in your state that they require both parties to agree or be aware of a purchase like this? who knows.. but clearly it's not "YOU" that is the patriarchy making her do this.. it's them.. so if she rails at you about it.. you need to point this out.

Hey.. I'm not the one making you come to me.. they are... I will check with the lawyer so that I understand what I'm signing.. just like I would expect YOU would do if presented with a legal document from me.. from your employer.. from anyone.. and you didn't understand what it meant.

notarelative's picture

I'm changing my previous answer somewhat. I stand by that your wife should be upset with the requirement that you sign. But, she is correct that Disney wants you to sign. Your state is a equal distribution state. 

If the property was acquired or changed value during the marriage or partnership, you have an interest in the property, or perhaps an obligation on the debt.

Disney may be requiring that  those who reside in an equal distribution state have the partner acknowledge their possible future liability. 

Maybe a post nuptial to reaffirm the prenup and add this obligation as solely hers.

Yesterdays's picture

So maybe the transfer of title doesn't mean someone owns part already and is transferring but that he's acknowledging that he's transfering what he would be entitled to over to her... Or something like that.... Regardless the only answer I see is to ask the lawyer. I didn't know equal distribution state is a thing.. 

Say she did want to buy this timeshare are you ok with that as her partner? Seems like the whole idea is that she wants to do it whether you're fine with it or not. What are her plans?? Sneak off to Disney every month without you knowing about it? Is she a huge Disney fan? Does she solo travel a lot? 

Harry's picture

Timeshare groups know that people stop paying for the loan.   Thimshare grouos self loan the money, Banks don't want to be involved, they can't foreclose,   You don't own anything.  Just a stock holder in a corp.  just take to peoples at bankrup timeshares   You have six months to get out. 
'The time shareung  group want the right to go after everyone in your family when your DW defaults .

hereiam's picture

This ^^^^^

They want to make you financially liable.

Harry's picture

Because they want to bult and sell billions of $ of new timesharing.  There budget needs them, Disney needs to show a profit.  Pay out so many $ per shar.  One day the bottom will fall out 

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

I would never ever ever do a Disney time share.  Disney vacation club is such a waste of money.  You can just rent the disney hotel for whenever youw ant to go and probably save yourself the money and the hassle.  You aren't in the rooms or the resort that much anyway.  We are in Orlando A LOT!!!!!!!!! and we end up staying in cheap rentals that people are paying time shares for and I always look at the reviews and people who are paying the timeshare amount just cry in the reviews.