You are here

3 years in and getting worse. On the verge of losing it.

Sanityisfadingfast's picture

First off let me apologise in advance for the long post, found this page 2 days ago and its the first time theres been anywhere or anyine to talk to about anything sp trying to get it out as best i can. 

Me and the OH have been together just over 3 years. He has 2 daughters from a previous relationship that was fine, they were 2 and 4 when we got together. Their mother is a complete nightmare and the now 7 year old is going the same way. She kicked off when she found out we were together even though she was seeing the man she had broken up her family for. We agreed i wouldnt meet the kids til further down the line, in fairness i wasnt ready to hop right in and suddenly become a parent overnight especially given the situation between their own parents it wasnt my place so that was fine until she pushed for it and then demanded the man she was seeing gets to meet them because she allowed me to. Found out i was pregnant and that caused another kick off, found out it was a boy and all hell broke loose. They lost a boy at 31 weeks before the girls came along so she was understandably upset but the arguments were downright nasty and completely unnecessary she even threatened to stop him seeing his girls over it and told him court would be needed. We have had them every single weekend from Friday to Monday for the whole 3 years with changes during holidays and half terms and everything is on her terms. She agreed to collect her daughters the weekend i was booked in for induction until the day came and she flat out refused stating it was his time with them end of. The following weekend we should have had free since it was a 2 week holiday but of course after 3 days in hospital, a traumatic birth and an infection they landed back to meet their brother. I agreed to a few hours in the evening until they landed and i was told they were staying overnight because their nanny was over from ireland, she agreed to take them across the road with her for the night. Caused a huge argument in the process between all family on both sides over her precious grandaughters and not being riund annewborn screaming like banshees and then of course their mother started in with the whole they want to spend the weekend with their brother and ill have to cancel my plans now it isnt fair, given she was askednto bring them round for a few hours on friday afternoon and they were at the door half an hour later. Shes kicked off repeatedly over the last 2 years over the smallest shit that doesnt make sense, cut him out of schooling and plays and assemblies, filled her eldest daughters head full of the child she lost and how she cant breathe without her and shes her best friend and her daddy broke up her family everything is his fault to the point theyre not even allowed their birthday balloons without sending them to their brother in the sky come the evening time. Its absolutely disgraceful that they were even told about anything until they were old enough to comprehend anything but then to be made feel guilty over the fact theyre alive and hes not and their mother putting all her emotional baggage on a child is unreal. We tpom them back to Ireland for chridtmas and when they landed back in January their mother cut contact straight away until they managed to get sorted through mediation in early March, it wouldnt have taken as lomg if he had have given into her demands straight away like he usually does and when they came back here theyre completely different children. The 7 yearnold has always had behavioural problems, shes beyond smart and she knows it but everything is a acreaming match and whininng and daddy daddy daddy, she cant see her sister win at anything without kicking off and throwing a tantrum, shea spoilt and selfish and always has been becauae nobody addresses the issue they just pander to her and let her away with it but we were actually getting somewhere with her and ahe was improving until she spends any extended period of time with her mother. The 5 year old couldnt string a sentence together until she was 4 and would act out when nobody listened to her or she thought she wasnt being understood but thats corrected now, trying to keep her going the right way is hard when shes watching her sister get away with thinga she doesnt get away with and then theres my 2 year old that imitates everything she does when shes here and ive had enough, he can be aaked to tidy away his toys and he will usually do it while singing until she lands and then its right back to the start again because she doesnt have to clean behind herself all she has to do is start screaming like a banshee and daddy to the rescue again.  Throughout all of this i have done nothing but try and be supportive, give them a place to vent if needed, tried my best to explain that none of anything if their fault and they shouldnt be carrying it like they have a reason to feel guilty. Ive dressed them and made sure they always had shoes, washed them, their father hasnt done it in 3 years, fed them, got them both glasses, dentists regularly theyd never seen one before and any time they needed a doctor i was the one to book it and bring them. Potty trained both of them day and night they were still in nappies when i met their father and got them off a bottle that they both carried everywhere and chocolate milk at bedtime and throughout the night if they woke. Shes never done the lice treatment and sends them down here telling him it needs to he done, shes sent them down round my then infant with slapcheek, chicken pox, scarlet fever and doesnt see a problem with it and for years he constantly bowed down to her regardless of the situation, refused to say anything to her when she was slagging me off the whoever she could including him and refused to say anything to her when she was sending them down in clothes that were too small and cutting into them even though she has always been provided with clothes and shoes to fit them, he also pays the full uniforms every year and throughout the year and hands her 50 a week to feed them for the max 4 days she has them for breakfast and dinner . Im now 27 weeks pregnant with number 2 and hes still refusing to correct behaviour, still allowing them to get away with everything and im on my last nerve woth the whole lot, im honestly considering taking my kids and disappearing so i dont have to deal with them anymore and my sons wont be left feeling like they dont matter because the girls come first. We have had countless arguments over it all and still nothing changes. I dread them landing and count down the hours til they leave again and to be honest i wouldnt mind having the 5 year old on her own i just cannot stand the 7 year old anymore and i feel guilty saying it but since she came back from her mothers ive got nothing but dirty looks and snide nasty comments like i wish my daddy never met you out of the blue. She started the other night at bedtime and i snapped and told her if she didnt like it here she could go back to her mothers that was fine. Losing the will to keep going at this stage. 

Thanks for reading the mess. 

SteppedOut's picture

I agree. You should make an exit plan. Things have gone downhill and continue to do so. Your SOis a crap parent that throws money at bm. Ypu sound stressed, overworked and unhappy. Exactly what is keeping you there? 

ldvilen's picture

Both you and your DH have let BM control your relationship for far too long.  You shouldn't have even let her control it for one day.  You have a manipulative, controlling BM and a weaker, enabling DH = step hell.  I don't blame you anywhere near as much as your DH.  I actually would be inclined to blame DH more than BM because BM is what she is, a be.atch.  You can't change her and neither can your DH.  Your DH can, and should have been for years, telling BM to basically F-off (albeit in a kinder sort of way).  He should have been telling her that she is a parent and he is a parent, so when their children are under his watch, he'll handle them to the best of his ability, and she needs to butt out.

Instead, DH went cowering in the corner, permitting BM to pussy-whip him and therefore you.  If he thinks giving into BM and giving her money will make her go away, it won't.  It will only make her more vicious and stronger.  If you keep feeding a rapid dog, it is going to keep coming around.  It is that simple.  I know BM and DH have children together, but that is on their shoulders.  They need to figure that out.  And even if BM is the worst parent in the world, that is still on their shoulders.  DH would need to take action on this, and not expect you to.  He should be their dad way more than you should be attempting to be their 2nd mother.  BM DOES NOT, under any circumstances, have any say into what goes on with DH and his new SO (just as DH has no right to say what goes on with BM and her new SO).

I'm just going to say that some divorced families are plain vicious, that dysfunctional.  And, God save anyone who gets in the middle of all of that!  No matter how much you think you may love your DH or how much you may want to "save" your SKs, sometimes it is just not enough, esp. if it means not only a life of hell for you, but any "ours" children too.  I truly wish you would have come here before you got pregnant.  Now the deal gets much more complicated.  But, nothing will improve with BM.  The only thing that can improve for you is if DH suddenly "grows a pair," to put it bluntly.  If you feel you can't live with this situation (and keep in mind any of your children will have to too) and your DH won't grow and man-up, then you may need to start working on an exit plan.  Do you want yourself and your children kowtowing to some psycho-woman (BM) the rest of your lives?  Because, apparently DH has no problem with that.

CLove's picture

Get your ducks in a row and get an exit plan together.
You have been mothering children that you have no parental authority over, and your DH has been "bending the knee" to Queen BM, who sounds like she is taking advantage of others who parent, rather than doing the job herself. You cannot fix the kiddos, so stop trying. Your Skids have 2 parents and you are not one of them. 

The best thing you can do is really consider if this is the life that you want. Is this the life you want for your bios.

Document everything, for leverage so that you can get full custody. Seeing as DH doesnt have his balls (Queen BM has them) then he might not fight too much. Seeing as he is a crap parent you do not want him to have custody of yours. Some steppers, when they have that "ours" child find they are trapped because they do not want to share custody. So - keep that in mind as well.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Rags's picture

Paragraphs please. I got through your loooooooong second paragraph but just barely.  And only because your situation is so infuriating.  Thanks for using sentences. I would have given up otherwise.

Whew.

I agree. Get your sons out of there now. Before #2 is born.  That way you will likely maintain control of everything and be able to minimize their exposure to the shallow and polluted end of their gene pool.

Move to another Jurisdiction and never move back.  Make it far enough that only a long distance visitation will be ordered.

Now, if by some miracle this idiot can exricate his head from his ass and this relationship is even remotely salvageable, demand that he get to court for a new CO stipulating nothing more than EOWE visitation from the StepSpawn.  That limits the SD's being in your home only 4-6 days per month and minimizes the ability of them to pollute your home and family with their toxic crap.

And.... DH needs to eternally demonstrate that he will own BM's toxic ass for the durations of your lives together and not tolerate her to interfere in your life and family. Ever. Period. Dot.

But, move now, because the odds of this idiot growing a pair and growing half a brain are slim and none.

Take care of  you and your babies. Nail his ass to the wall for a pile of CS!

The more control you take now, the more you will have for the duration.  And... get a CO ASAP once you land in your new community, far, far away from this shit show.