You are here

Pick & Choose

lucy1's picture

Ok, my dh has said on a few occasions "it's nothing to do with you, he's not your son" issues regarding our stepsons school,health,money. But he's a absolutely fine with me doing all the "wifey" stuff. Cooking for him, homework, looking after him when he goes out. It mainly kicks off when his ex is giving us some grief about something.
It's drives me mad he says it & ends in arguments, anyone else had this??

ETexasMom's picture

So when he wants you to do the wifely stuff tell him "it's nothing to do with me, he's not my son".

happystepmum's picture

^^This!

sunshinex's picture

I wouldn't do anything for my stepdaughter if my husband was always telling me "it's nothing to do with you she's not your daughter" lol I'd just laugh when asked/expected to do something and say "why on earth would I do that? she's not my daughter, remember."

In all seriousness, if you don't have equal say in raising them, I wouldn't be helping with anything.

moeilijk's picture

It's none of your business when it comes to anything long term, planful, or involving a decision. It is only your business what you do gives DH more free time.

Responsibility without authority. Frustrating.

I hope you invest more in your own free time.

Cover1W's picture

It's called "responsibility without authority" and is quite common among expectations of SOs of the SMs. We can do the 'mom things' but not the 'mom rules and dispensing of ramifications or giving advice.' It'll drive you nuts.

Don't do everything is the only answer.

Stop doing all "expected" things until you and SO can discuss what you really want to do.

Willow2010's picture

So when he wants you to do the wifely stuff tell him "it's nothing to do with me, he's not my son".
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
THIS

SavvyKim's picture

I wish I had not done anything for my partner's kids, I found out the hard way, disengage yourself now, you will never be appreciated, let him look after his own kid.