You are here

Who gets what when you end the relationship

Mentalgirl48's picture

All the things that I and we bought for the already spoiled brats.. Who gets it? We bought them a new TV for their bedroom in my house so they can game upstairs.. Does that go with them or does it stay in my house? .. Other shit like clothes I know can go with them

hereiam's picture

I am just glad that you are ending it with this guy.

But the TV stays with you, unless he wants to pay you for it so his brats can have it.

SunnySkies's picture

Would they take the bed, wardrobe, etc, in the bedroom? Unlikely. Unless you specifically bought it as a birthday or Christmas present then it stays in your house. It is part of your household. If they want to give you some money for it, then fine. when I left home, I only took things that were presents or I had paid for myself (which was all my elecrical stuff to be honest, as that was what we did "back in the day" - gosh yes, we saved up and paid for it) which included my 12" black and white portable TV.... (but I loved it!).

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

That would depend...did they bring it with them? Or, were they staying in a guest room you had set up already before they got there? I mean, it doesn't sound like they are married, like this is HER home. It could be that she provided the furnishings for to the room itself, not necessarily because the steps were there. Especially if they were only visiting, and didn't live with her.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

That is a tough one! I think I would gauge it on the expense of the item, and whether or not payments are still being made on it. For example, if you bought the TV on your Best Buy card and you are still paying for it, I would think you are entitled to ask for that back. Same would apply to a car. I think it is only right if you still have lots to pay on an item, and you are taking that debt with you, that you keep the item you are paying for.

Ninji's picture

I have been in three serious relationships that have ended and only taken my clothes and personal items. When I left my last EXSO all I had besides clothes was a blow up bed and a lawn chair, but I really wanted out of those relationships and the "stuff" didn't matter anymore. I guess it depends on whether or not you and SO are going to argue over the items. If so, and you don't need the items, just give them up and get on with your life. But...That's just how I am.

Rags's picture

Any furniture or home electronics for your home stays. If it is their personal stuff then it goes with them. Pretty simple.

IMHO of course.

Mentalgirl48's picture

Thank you ladies.. It was a Christmas gift for their bedroom in my house. Something they can use while they are here.