Texting

stepdadof2's picture

I saw that SD13 managed 4,217 text messages in 20 days. I talked to another parent and learned this is about average.

So, I'm wondering, what is the most text messages anyone has seen from one kid on their monthly bill?

Chavez's picture

My DS had a monster month in the summer and it was right over 9,000 texts. His generally runs around 4 or 5,000 each month. Remember a lot of times the entire text consists of "k" or "idk" or "lol". Honestly I can't say much because mine runs in the several thousands as well and I'm nearly 40!

simifan's picture

SD averages 4000-5000 text & is only allowed the phone 2-3 hours a day on school nights. Your kids not doing bad at all.

The most so far was during the summer at 12,586.

Butterflykissesandlicks's picture

Well, LOL

SD6 does not have a cell but BM does but does not know how to even use it? :O

BD19- unlimited texting...so you can imagine.

Milomom's picture

Ok, I'll probably get flamed for this, but I think 4,000-6,000 texts/month is absurd, ridiculous and totally unnecessary - PERIOD!! At least for children, anyway. If an adult chooses to spend their time that way, so be it, so long as it isn't having a negative effect/impact on those you love.

I've got to wonder if there's some correlation between the overuse of texting (and spending WAY too much time surfing the web when they're "bored") and the BAD GRADES most of these kids have in school...

My FSD16 averages about 4,000-5,000 texts/month - if she were MY daughter, NO WAY would that be allowed. Her VERY POOR GRADES, IMHO, are a direct consequence of the overtexting (and spending WAY too much time surfing the web) that this Generation E seems to be obsessed with. She already failed math & science throughout most of 9th & 10th grade (her social studies & english grades aren't much better, she just didn't FAIL them). She's now in 11th grade and doing a LITTLE better...only because "Disney Daddy" (my FDH) has put a monetary incentive program into effect this school year for both fskids. His money, he can blow through it unnecessarily if he so chooses, so long as it doesn't get to be of an amount that has a negative impact on me/the family as a whole.

Pathetic.....

Jsmom's picture

SD14 before she moved out had 12K in one month. Absolutely amazing. Again, example of BM and no limits for the kid. THis just continues to remind my why I am so glad she is gone.

SusiQ's picture

I can remember about 4 years ago SS telling us he needed a new phone because he'd apparently worn his current one out. I laughed and asked how that happened and apparently he'd been texting so much and letting charging the battery properly, it's basically just died and would not hold a charge anymore. I laughed so hard - thankfully BM covers the cell phone thing for him

ddakan's picture

oh dude, i have 3 girls with phones. i think the highest is 11,000 in a month, 9,000 common, but usually between 4-5000 on average. they are 18 19 and 21, but we've been monitoring this for years. we laugh sometimes, and say wow, good use of your time. but they barely use any talking minutes. weird huh?