You are here

Seriously considering not marrying my fiancé because of step daughter

Mezaluna's picture

Please help if you can. I am engaged with a wedding date less than 1 month away. My fiancé lives with my 2 boys and I. He has 2 children who stay with us every other weekend along with dinner during the week and extended stays during school vacations. The usual visitation schedule basically. When he moved in over the summer I renovated my living room into 2 bedrooms so that they wouldn't have to share a room when they visited. Their ages are 13 (boy) and (16) girl. The back wall in my step daughters room is a large long closet that houses my dress clothes and personal items (this used to be my living room) She has other space in the room for her clothes when she stays with us.
A few months ago when my wedding dress was complete I hung it in that closet after trying it on. When I went to try it on again, it was hanging where I left it but it was also badly stained (dark brown liquid that the dry cleaners couldn't remove or determine what it was) and had been pulled at and torn by our cat. Since the dess was hanging in the closet, obviously it was take down by someone and then hung back up after it was stained and torn. Our cats wouldn't be able to get to it on their own and my boys wouldn't be able to reach that closet rack even on a step stool. I barely can. I spoke to my fiancé about it. He spoke to her. She denied it. We dropped the issue to avoid a war. It was hard but I was able to find another dress with such short notice.
Yesterday I went in the closet to get my wedding bouquet supplies. I planned to make a brooch bouquet. I've been buying brooches and bouquet decorations for a while and I have quite an assortment. I'm super organized with it. I have a wedding supply bag with each type of item grouped into zip lock bags, blah blah blah. I open the bag and the 1 st thing I notice is something sticky all over the flowers I was going to decorate the brooch bouquet with. All of the zip lock bags are crumbled up together with all their contents loose on the bottom of the bag. As far as I can tell the only thing missing us the brooch I chose to represent her. I discussed it with my fiancé. My boys aren't allowed in the other kid 's rooms. Occasional they'll chase after the dog in there if the door is open but they wouldn't be able to be in there for any period of time unnoticed. They are for sure not angels but they didn't do this. I'm amazingly pissed off but I wanted to drop it or just mention what happened to her instead of confronting her. I didn't want an all out war. I have heart problems and stress really slows me down. He was angry as well and told me to relax while he handled it. He confronted her, she denied it and it has become an all out war. Today is Friday and it's their weekend to stay with us. She's not coming because she's mad that we accused her. Am i supposed to feel sorry for her? I can't bring myself to do that. My fiancé is telling me that she says she didn't do it she she's so insulted blah blah blah. But he's not backing me up. He started the war and he's not following thru. Now the situation has changed from her doing something mean to me personally, into her feeling like she's being framed for something she didn't do and is mad and insulted. I totally understand that you can't ask a parent to choose a relationship over a child. I wouldn't choose anyone over my boys. But he confronted her knowing what it could turn into and when the shit hit the fan he backed down leaving me standing alone. I would have rather done nothing than to let her know that we know she did it but then back down. I know it's just my pride but it's making me so angry. I feel like this is a bad set up to a marriage. He should be taking care of me. It was my wedding dress and my bouquet that was tampered with.
Please give me your opinion. Be honest. If you think I'm wrong tell me so!
Denice

amber3902's picture

If you are feeling like you need to call off the wedding, I would postpone the wedding for now.

Give yourself time to see if things get better or worse.

Shaman29's picture

I agree with HRNYC. This is a 16 year spiteful little girl. And a civil matter. The police aren't going to touch it because they have no proof.

Though it is obvious who is wrecking the OP's things.

OP - This will not improve with marriage and will in fact get worse. If he is not backing you up now, he will not do it later. And she will continue to destroy your personal property.

You remodeled your home to accommodate HIS kids and this is how you are thanked. I'd think long and hard about how you're being treated by your fiance.

Aeron's picture

Thing is... it's not just your pride. It is destruction of personal property. It is lying. It is now playing the victim to make daddy back down. And he is backing down. This is the pattern that you will see for the rest of your relationship with this man if he doesn't get a sup huge clue and fast.

This will escalate. She knows you and her dad both know. She also now knows for sure that absolutely Nothing will be done about it. So next it will be your other clothes, your family photos, your kids toys, your furniture, the house walls.... And every time she will have just no Idea what you're talking about and be so Insulted you thought she'd do such a thing.

She obviously is not on board with here dad getting remarried, which wouldn't be a big deal if her dad would keep it from being a problem. He's just proven that he won't.

You may not want a war, but this girl does and she will make sure there is one. Your fiancé's behavior indicates its a war he will not prevent and that you will be fighting it alone. I would seriously reconsider this marriage.

Calypso1977's picture

i would think long and hard.
ive recently gotten engaged (december) and SD13 has been a nightmare and BM has really fueled soem major problems.

as much as i love my fiance and want to be married to him now, i am seriously considering delaying the wedding until SD is 18. we dont want kids togehter so its not like id be missing out on that by delaying. a part of me did want a child with him in our early days but SD has all but ruined that for us. im at peace with it tho - we travel alot and even fiance has commented on occassion that he likes the freedom he has with not having his child around 24-7.

Sparklelady's picture

Let me put it this way - you COULD still get married, but do so understanding that there is tremendous hatred by your SD (which, by the way, isn't abnormal. She's acting out immaturely but most would agree typically for a teen girl) and that hatred right now is simmering under her skin so she is destroying your things. She's not lashing out verbally or in a way that says "I did it!" which means she KNOWS what she did was wrong (this fact is important - some skids on here don't get that what they are doing is wrong.)

Now, whether you do get married or postpone, addressing your SD's passive/aggressive rage is important. Don't pretend that by not getting married it'll just go away. It won't, she needs help to see how to handle her feelings. Not necessarily from you - that hardly ever works - but is there a school counsellor etc who could start the ball rolling?

And then of course, you could just end the relationship. But only you know how much this man means to you and the difference he makes in your life. There are no easy answers - all roads equal hard work and sacrifices of some kind.

thinkthrice's picture

RUN! the secret of a semi-successful step family (I say semi b/c there is no FULL success, EVER) relies exclusively on the biodad working with SM to be on the same page. If you don't have the unequivocal support of biodad the relationship is DOOMED!

From my experience, undermining and backbiting the SM (on the part of biodad) happens probably about 85+% of the time. Finding a biodad with a spine is as rare as discovering gold on your front lawn. Finding one that will turn on SM and scapegoat her for everything is as common as a sunny day in San Diego.

omgsaveme's picture

OK, Im going to say from a neutral position, that you think it may be possible that 1 of the other 4 kids did this either by accident or purpose ? I notice you don't mention anything about the Step son, could she have taken it down to try it on and accidentally spilled something on it ? Could the kids have gone into her closet and pulled it down ?

She may feel attacked cause you just assumed it was her and didn't question any of the other kids. Im just trying to give the benefit of the doubt that may have been someone else. The polygraph test and calling the cops is way over the top.

I would just get out now, what is delaying your marriage going to change ? In the end you'll still be with him dealing with it all married or not. Naturally as parents we want to believe our kids, I know Ive been shocked a few times with things my kids did that I never thought they'd do.

Try to talk to her on your own, from a calm place, and speak with her about how she feels with you being with her father. You don't need her permission but it would be good for her to come out with the truth.

Willow2010's picture

Do you have other problems with this SD?

And one more question? What do you expect your DH to do since the kid is adamant she did not do it?

Mezaluna's picture

Hi again,
My boys just couldn't be in her room long enough to go through and mess with the wedding bag. They aren't allowed in the other kids's rooms when they are not here. I'm not saying they are strict rule followers, but the bag had a lot to go thru. Being young boys they probably would have dumped it on the floor to go thru it or threw it away of they broke something. There were a lot of bags to open. It would have taken a few minutes. There would have been a mess that they surely wouldn't have cleaned. As far as my dress, they would have literally had to stand on a step stool and still will have not reached the rack. It was rehung perfectly after it was stained and torn, not messily thrown on a hangar like a little boy would. The fact remains that they just don't have the time in that room to get in the closet, find things, and go thru it. My step son is here at the same time as my step daughter. He couldn't be in the room, in the closet without her knowing long enough for either offense.
What do I expect my fiancé to do ? I don 't know. I just feel as though he isn't following thru. He confronted her which started a whole situation and now she doesn't want to come here, he feels bad that she's mad,there's no follow thru. It's like I had the whole thing happen and then had to deal with the crossfire and nothing came of it. No punishment ,no house rule changes, just she's not staying over this weekend because she's mad. She gets to feel like she got away with it , he's all stressed out because he feels like he's in the middle, and I have to just suck it all up. I would have done that as a first choice by just not accusing her directly to save the peace. But now, I have to not only swallow the action but the whole war afterwards. I think he should be worrying about how I feel at this point.
That's how I feel about it anyway.

Shaman29's picture

H used to pull the "I'm in the middle" shit with me too.

I explained to him, he is not in the middle. WE are a partnership and HE should be by my side facing these issues together. It doesn't mean he's against his kids, but he should be supporting you during an obvious problem. Bottom line, one of the older kids went through and destroyed your wedding dress and the items you were planning on using for your bouquet. This was an act of rage.

You can ask your bios and you should. However it's obvious one of the skids or your H are responsible for what happened.

My advice is to postpone and have him move out. This will give you time to work out the glitches with your relationship. This is not something you'll be able to do while living together, since someone is destroying your belongings in a purposeful way.

Counseling for the skids and your BF is in order, because clearly someone has unresolved anger issues.

Mezaluna's picture

Oops, sorry - I haven't had any other problems with her. Nothing out of the realm of every day minor stuff. She's s little pushy with me about taking her clothes shopping, but I like shopping and she's a 16 yr old girl. There's nothing abnormal about that.

omgsaveme's picture

So I would say you both sit down with all the kids, so she doesn't feel attacked and then both of you sit with her alone and discuss the whole situation. This can't keep happening if it is her and if you aren't going to leave him then it needs to be addressed. Good luck and hope it works out

positivelyfourthstreet's picture

IMO, you need to cut your losses and ditch your fiancée.

He will likely never step up to the plate and do the right thing and it will only get worse and worse over the years.

BTDT, got the t-shirt.

The husband who will throw you under the bus not to make kids or xw mad will give you nothing but years of untold misery.

Meantime, you guys could be buying a house, having kids together and all of it that makes leaving a lot messier and much more difficult.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

I have to agree with others here who have said you should consider calling the whole thing off. It does NOT get better! If he will not stand up to his daughter now, he never will.

Mezaluna's picture

I hear you all - I do.
I've thought of so many scenarios where this was an accident. She's super messy, just dumps the clothes from her suitcase on her bed when she comes over. She could have tried on the dress (not that big of an offense) tossed it on the bed, and spilled something on it. One if the cats sleeps with her often. He could have got to it that way. But it was my wedding dress that was already completely taylored and tried on. If I didn't need to try it with my shoes again I wouldn't have taken it down until I needed it for the wedding. What would I have then? Nothing to wear on my wedding day. So even if it was accidenta,l she hung it back up without telling me or giving me a chance to get a new one in time plus denied it when asked. Same with the bouquet supplies. Even if it wasn't purposeful she didn't give me a chance to buy something to replace it. I have a lot to replace for the bouquet and about 3 weeks to do it in if the wedding is still on.
I guess I just really wanted this to work out. Nothing wise makes sense except that she knew what she was doing we hen she did it. He's not handling this in a way that puts the peace in our home and the peace of mind of the other children a priority. It really is too bad. My boys have had it rough in the past and they really really like him.

luchay's picture

Firstly, honey, trying on your WEDDING DRESS is a BIG offence. HUGE.

For your SD to be doing that reeks of lack of boundaries and a pissing contest. NO-ONE EVER should be trying that dress on apart from you - it's a symbol of your wedding day, your marriage. It is HUGE.

The fact if got damaged and rehung in the hopes you'd pull it out on your wedding day speaks volumes. I do not for a second believe she "tried it on and accidentally damaged it" the was a spiteful malicious act against you on that you weren't supposed to discover til your wedding day.

Miss Scarlet's picture

I cancelled my wedding last year due to my dislike of 17 yr old ss. I am glad I did. We are still together but my partner puts his son first every time and it is a constant battle between us as he thinks his son is the bees knees, rather than a noisy, irritating, I'll behaved kid. I often think about leaving but guess I am scared of doing something so final. It takes a lot of courage to start life again and at middle age I could end up a lonely old woman and I do love my partner but don't feel fulfilled and appreciated. I would certainly postpone the wedding if I were you and see how things go.

Calypso1977's picture

I felt similar when i left my husband. i waited until i was nearly 32 to marry, i left just shy of 35. We had no kids and i was SCARED. i really thought id be alone forever.

i am now involved with someone great, but of course we are dealing with the SD13 issues. being generally gun-shy after one failed marriage, SD13 has really made me extra gun-shy. i am definteily proceeding carefully but at this point i have not thought abotu leaving, but definteily thought about waiting until she is 18 (or even 23 when she ages off of support) to marry him.

blending2012's picture

IMO, the biggest cause for concern here is that your fiance is questioning you when you said she did something. Does he seriously think that you would make something up? Why would he want to marry you if he didn't trust you.

Listen, we have 5 kids living with us (3 his, 2 mine) and they all make mistakes b/c nobody is perfect. When my husband points out my kids mistakes I immediately back him up. However, when I point out something one of his kids have done ESPECIALLY the oldest girl, he NEVER believes me. It is f-d up.

Trust me, I am LIVING this nightmare. ONLY marry this man if you can live with the fact that he will ALWAYS take her word over yours. YES, even at the expense of the other kids' expense.

Just this morning, I told him that the oldest SD had melted chocolate in her bed and pretzels under her bed. HE has a rule that there is no food outside of the kitchen. His usual responses in these situations is to say that she probably didn't realize she had food in her pocket and it fell out. You okay living with that? For the rest of your life??? Think about it.

sad stepwitch's picture

Lots of good suggestions here. Not sure if I would recommend calling police or a lie detector, people look at step parents like they are crazy for stuff that severe (trust me, I've tried it).
Wise man once told me: "you teach people how to treat you". This said, if she gets away with this (because assuming you aren't a manipulative sociopath that did this herself, we all KNOW she did it)she will continue with this. If she is aware that this manipulation works, she will continue to manipulate. If he falls for it this time, he will fall for it over and over again. There are a million ways that you will get sucked into their battles, expenses, and drama. You will rarely (if ever) benefit from the manipulative SD. If you do see a light at the end of the tunnel (behavior improves), I recommend you look closer; it is likely a set up of some sort.
You need to seriously consider how much the relationship is worth to you. These kids are teens, and they visit instead of living with you, but their behaviors will also influence your children.
You could attribute my post as bitterness (I would have previously), but I warn you; if you do not teach them better communication techniques, it will get worse.

Anonomommy's picture

Take it from me, I've been married to a man for ten years who has two daughters they were 7 and 10 when their dad and I got married. I have never been able to stand my SD and through out the years it has only gotten worse. I wish that I would not have married the man I did and mostly bc of his children. I have two sons from a previous marriage that I love dearly. My sons and his daughters hate each other. If you think the husband will stand on your side against his own "blood" your sadly mistaken. His children will probably tourtière, torment, spit in your drinks and put your toothbrushes in the pot, and do any/everything to go against what you say. My advice is if your future husband is already dismissive towards their actions and already is "picking children's side" run as fast as you can bc it will only get worse. On the other hand if your future husband is on your team it could be a different story. I can tell you the the step brats only get worse as teens and if you think 18 is some magic number well it isn't. His kids will be in the picture FOREVER. They just multiply and try to come back if you can get them to leave in the first place! Best wishes!!

simifan's picture

She's passive aggressive and marking her territory. Either the steps up or I would walk. There is no middle you are either a partnership or you aren't. If he can't back you up now- it won't get better. That you are thinking of calling off your wedding tells you that your gut feeling knows that to be true.