You are here

Newbie here - 14 yr old SD issues

RedWingsFan's picture

Howdy all,

A little background on DH: He and ex split 3 yrs ago due to infidelity on ex's part when SD was 6 yrs old. He tried to make it work. Stayed 5 yrs, 4 of it spent in marriage counseling. After discovering Ex was back to lying and cheating, he moved out and filed for divorce. Ex is a piece of work but aren't they all? Anyhow, both of them raised SD to be the center of the universe. Spoiled only child. She literally was telling them what to do and was in full control at age 11 when I met my now husband.

A little background on me: I have a daughter who is 6 mos older than SD. She lives with her dad full time (long story but it was more stable as I was moving around too much with my then boyfriend due to jobs he had). She comes to CO to visit for the summer and I go up to MI to see her at other times throughout the year/holidays/etc. She and I have an excellent relationship and she's very articulate, mature and smart. Polar opposite of SD.

A little background on DH & me: we met after he and ex had been apart for a yr. We met online as friends and didn't want a relationship at all. He introduced me after a few months to his daughter. Our friendship developed into a relationship shortly afterwards. We were engaged after a year and just married last month. So, that's 3 yrs that SD has had to get used to the fact that her parents were not together nor were they getting back together.

This girl is very manipulative, a liar, an attention seeker and has tried to break her dad and I up several times because dad finally grew some nerve and started behaving more like a dad instead of like this kid's best buddy. Unfortunately, her mother is still her buddy and she still has control over mom. He doesn't give in to her every desire, mom does.

There's a ton more to discuss (hard to put 2 yrs worth of life into a single post) but bottom line right now is SD decided she no longer wants anything to do with her father and I. She's super jealous of my daughter and doesn't want to be around her either. Her mom and dad share custody but she's decided she doesn't even want to spend 2 hrs with him alone for dinner. It's breaking my DH's heart but after many attempts (he's tried even forcing her to come over, or do their regular Saturday daddy-daughter alone days) of connecting with her and getting rejected, he told her he doesn't know what else to do and is leaving the next visit up to her. He's consulting a therapist now who says let her come to him, slowly rebuild their relationship, etc.

We've done the therapy thing with her too. She was in individual counseling for a year to deal with their divorce, she lied to the therapist for attention. She's a major attention seeker. When the spotlight isn't on her, she creates scenes and drama to get attention. Mom feeds into it, we do not. We have had therapy with just her and dad, her, dad and mom, her, me and dad, etc. Mom refuses to talk to or meet me.

I'm enjoying the peace and quiet at home right now, because when she's around (she used to come over every other week for a week straight) everyone's miserable. She pouts, cries to go home, won't do anything with us, behaves like a 2 yr old, etc. I've even caught her trying to poison my fish and yanking on my cat's tail...she disturbs me!

I've been nothing but nice to this girl. Tried to bond with her. She's rejected me from the time we announced our engagement and basically all we do now is pretty much ignore each other.

I realize that once she and her father resume talking (it's been almost a month since the last time) we'll have issues to iron out as far as her coming over for visits and whatnot.

I guess I just want to disengage. I don't know what else to do. I've tried everything I know to build a relationship with her and she refuses. I'm sure mom is a HUGE influence on her. She's to the point now where she's basically isolating herself from DH's entire family.

Anyhow, I just wanted to vent. It's nice to know I have an outlet. DH doesn't really want to talk about her much as I know it hurts him that she is basically cutting him out of her life. We could force the issue, but then everyone's miserable.

Thanks for hearing me out and letting me get this off my chest. I feel so much better!

nzmummy's picture

Your DH needs to set boundaries and if she doesn't like it she doesn't come - simple.
She needs to respect you and her dad, if she can't then she can stay where she is!
She is 14 and way to old to be carrying on like a spoilt little brat.

RedWingsFan's picture

Yes, he has set boundaries, which is one of the reasons why she refuses to come over anymore. We have rules, consequences, etc - mom does not. So where does she choose to stay? With mom of course. But she's also getting into trouble there and DH has tried to intervene, educate, discipline, mom overturns everything the minute SD goes back home!

Anyhow, thanks for responding. I know this is going to just be an uphill battle. If she does start coming over again, I'll likely "have plans" that take me away for as long as she's there!

Aeron's picture

Aw, you have my SD's doppelganger! I would advise you to disengage - let DH handle it and hope he follows the therapist's advice. If he chases her, she'll just keep running and laugh at all the money he throws her.

With a mom who supports the behavior and a kid that's willing to lie to councilors and the court, there really isn't anything you can do except step back and do what you need to do to save your own sanity. Enjoy the peace. Try to be supportive for your DH when he gets depressed over the kid cutting him out and remind him he's doing the right thing.

RedWingsFan's picture

Thanks! I have just learned to back off and let him deal with her instead of constantly feeling like I need to fix the issue. He tells me he's not worried about it constantly, so why should I be? I just know it has to suck having your own daughter reject you because you and your new wife are happy and she doesn't get her way anymore!

Aeron's picture

You can't fix it. You can't fix someone else's relationship and you can't even fix your relationship with someone that is dead set against it being fixed. I'm sure it does suck and it hurts. But if he's not worried about it constantly, good on him. Mine had her mother whispering in her ear that if her father really loved her he would never be with, much less marry someone that SD didn't love. Oh wait, why did I put in the past tense? Yea, we've had pretty much no contact with her since we got married - her choice. But it's all Daddy's fault. Hopefully yours will get a clue sooner than mine.

RedWingsFan's picture

Wow! I'm so sorry. I know we're up against her mother as well and she flat out refuses to even TALK to me! She acts as if I stole her husband from her or something! They were apart for a year before I even met him and SHE cheated on him...so I don't understand her way of thinking.

I know she's constantly in SD's ear about us too. SD has lied to her mom about me, saying I was mean to her, I called her names, etc. Funny, it was exactly 10 minutes after we told her she couldn't come to our ADULT poker party! That's how she rolls. Very manipulative. Then again, so is her mother, so she's learning from the best.

I'm sure we'll never know what kind of crap her mother feeds her about us, our marriage or us as people in general, but at this juncture, I'm not caring like I used to do. She can stay with her mom forever, for all I care. I worry that it affects my husband, but since he told me not to worry, I guess I shouldn't.

It would take me DAYS to describe all this child and her mother have put me (and us) through. I'll spare everyone the details. But it got to the point recently where I was afraid to be alone with the child.

How long has it been since you've been around yours?

just tired's picture

RedWingsFan, I understand what you're going through....I have SD15 & SD25. They had almost 3 years to get their brains around the fact that their parents were divorced. AND DH & I lived together for more than a year before we married. But as soon as we married, the drama began in earnest....no doubt fueled by their "awesome" mother.

Bottom line, my DH sat both his daughters down in a therapy session and told them that they don't have to like his choice of bride, but they will respect his choice and they will be respectful to him, me and anyone else in his life if they want a relationship with him.

He told them that he divorced drama, manipulation, lying, cheating, chaos and he wasn't about to put up with any of that mess from either of his daughters either. He told them that if they want a relationship with him, they'd better start acting like someone he would want to have a relationship with, otherwise, don't bother coming around.

That was nearly 2 years ago, and we still revisit some of those messages with both of them. In fact, SD15 who should be coming to our home for visitation every other weekend, hasn't been in our home since mid-May due to the bullshit she stirred up...once again.

DH is fed up. He wants to have a relationship with both his girls, but isn't willing to compromise our life together to do so...and he's told them that.

It's about setting boundaries and enforcing them. And, of course, I'm to blame....because before I came along they could just manipulate him and treat him any ol' shitty way, and he'd just take it. So, if I'm to blame for my wonderful husband getting his balls back, yeah....I'll take credit for that!

Hang in there. My DH wishes things were different, but also knows that I'm the best thing to have come into his life and he's not willing to lose US for his selfish daughters, who are acting just like their mother.

Love your DH, support him, but let him deal with his daughter. She's his issue to deal with....and under no circumstances try to deal with the BM....it won't help anything, but could make things much worse!

That's my $.02.

RedWingsFan's picture

Just Tired,

It sounds like we're in the same boat. Like I told another person here, I'm so glad I found this forum! I actually don't feel guilty or like I'm the only one dealing with such b.s. anymore. I'm sorry everyone else has these (or even worse) issues, but yeah, it's kinda nice to know I'm not alone in this.

DH is totally amazing or I wouldn't be here and I most certainly wouldn't have married him. We are the perfect couple, seriously! Our friends totally love and support us and they're all wondering if SD will ever accept it and come around.

We've done the therapy thing with her too. I realize she's immature for her age, isn't all that bright (sorry, but it's true) and doesn't grasp concepts as easily as other kids her age, but yeah, 3 yrs is plenty long to know mommy and daddy don't want to be with each other anymore!

DH is fed up as well and told her a month ago she won't be forced to do anything with us or him, and won't hear from him unless SHE picks up the phone and makes contact. Her 14th bday is next Saturday. My 14 yr old DD told him "don't be surprised to get a call from her a day or two before her bday". He said he'd send a card and that's it.

I have been nothing but sweet and kind to her even when I've wanted to slap the shit outta this girl. She's never said a nice thing about me! It's clear that she blames me for daddy finally standing up for himself and taking his life back. And yes, I'm positive BM has a ton to do with the attitude of stepDEVIL.

Thanks for your support and for sharing your situation. I do appreciate everything everyone here has posted. Some days I wonder if I'll make it and then I go home to my DH and all is right with my world again! He makes it all worth it!

just tired's picture

Ooooh, girl. The call just before the birthday....just went thru that! Transparent!

Hang in there. Just love your DH....he's a keeper and you two are the primary relationship....the foundation. All else flows from the marriage.

Your SD may never come around...and that's her choice. All choices have consequences.

And, like you, I'm SO grateful to have found this site!!! I guess it's true - misery really does love company!

RedWingsFan's picture

Yeah, I'm so glad he has found the strength to say no and to put her in her place. When we first met, I seriously questioned whether or not it would happen and was fully prepared to walk away from the best man I've ever met in my life.

It was sickening how much he bowed down to her. She would grin this evil little grin every single time. I wanted to slap her or run or both. When I'd point these things out to him, it was like a light bulb suddenly went on. Really? he'd say...ummm, yeah...why are you allowing your 11 (or 12 or now 13) yr old daughter RUN your life?

The straw that nearly broke my back was when she threw a major fit and called a "family meeting" between her, him and her mom. It was all because he kissed me goodbye in front of her when I left his apartment one evening. I'm not talking about a make out session, this was a simple goodbye kiss. This was 6 months into our relationship and we were pretty solid as a couple. Well, the 3 of them all decide that maybe in front of SD, he and I should "cool it with the PDA" because she's not comfy. The next day when I asked how their little meeting went, he told me what was decided and I said "well, I'm glad all 3 of you are ok with how OUR relationship should work, but *I* am not. If you choose to change us or yourself for her or anyone else, I guess I'm not the one for you". He immediately went back over to his ex's place, sat them down and told them both that he's taking his life back and neither one of them will ever boss him around or demand anything from him again!