You are here

My step daughter is destroying our family

flannery's picture

I don't know what to do anymore. My 17 year old step daughter has destroyed our family. 5 months ago I moved out with my two bio kids (17 and 9) and moved 100 miles away because my fiancés daughter was out of control. By out of control I mean, drugs, drinking, stealing, arson arrest. I couldn't allow my girls to be around such a toxic, dangerous person. Since then, my fiancé and I have been doing our best through a long distance relationship, it been incredibly difficult, but I know I did what I had to do to protect my girls.

I had hopes that my step daughter was on her way to growing up and getting her head out of her a**, but per my last conversation with my fiancé, her behavior has turned violent towards my fiancé. She has essentially killed all hope and love I have held for her in the past and I don't know if or even how my relationship can survive my fiancés seemingly hopeless broken daughter.

And yes we have sought help from MD's, psychologist's, extensive therapy, medications, mental hospital stays, tough love, unconditional love, law enforcement (shes currently on probation for arson and newly arrested for possession of stolen property and drug use) all they do is turn her back over to her father and threaten her with more juvenile hall time...which she welcomes with open arms. her own mother has written her off and wont even see her anymore. And it makes me sick to write this but I want nothing more than for my fiancé to do the same...

I need some guidance... please

emotionaly beat up's picture

Where drugs are involved nothing you do for them helps. I think people do everything single thing within their power to help get their kids of drugs, but eventually they do what her mother has done, they let them go. No one lets go because they don't love their child, or because they get tired of it, they do get tired of it, but that's not the reason they let go. They let go because eventually they realise that tough love s the only thing they haven't tried. Your fiancé is not ready to let go. He needs to be ready to do that in his own time. If you force it and this girl overdoses, he will never be able to let go of the guilt, and he will blame you. There are no answers for this, no magic potion. Everyone has to do what their own heart and conscience tells them to do. You did what you needed to do. You did the right thing for and by your daughters, you are a wonderful mother, you are what a mother should be. Right now your fiancé is trying to do the best thing he can do for his daughter, he is trying to be a good dad. Hopefully, sooner rather than later, he will realise he cannot get her off the drugs, only she can do that. Hopefully he will realise letting go, letting her fall and hit rock bottom may be the best thing for her. Sadly, that is a game of Russian roulette. She falls flat on her face and realises she needs to get off the drugs, or she hits rock bottom and overdoses. Your fiancé is not ready to take that chance. You and he both just have to do what each of you have to do. For what it's worth, I think you've done the right thing here. I hope things will work out for you and your fiancé. If not, at least you know you've done the right thing, the best thing for you and your children. It must have been terribly difficult for you. You are to be congratulated.

Robyn27's picture

My SS31 has been addicted to drugs for over 18 yrs. My husband finally found a book that helped him. It's called "It's not about you, except when it is. A field manual for parents of addicted children." My husband thought he was reading his lifestory in it's pages. Get a copy for you and your fiance. I believe letting go and having her suffer all the consequences for her actions is the best thing. She has to do it on her own in order to get to a place where she wants to make a change. My SS is getting out of jail/rehab in a month, so I'm hoping my husband will read the book again to get prepared. Good luck.

dadsnewwife's picture

I really don't have much more to add, but my SS31, too, has been an unrehabilitative drug user since he was in his young teens. Dh did everything...sent him to a teen boot camp for 2 years, made him join the army at age 18 which only lasted a year as he was discharged for doing drugs. Long story short...he was diagnosed with mental illness at age 23 thanks to dh's perseverence and doctors who realized he was beyond hope. He has lived on government disability now since that time and really has no life. He lives to get drunk/high and when I met dh 5 years ago, he told me the next thing he would do for his oldest child would be to bury him. We know that day will come and are prepared. Dh's DS30 and DS21 both have suffered years of drug use, but SS30 is an Iraq veteran who suffered PTSD, so finally finished rehab with the VA and is on his way to possibly living a productive life. SS21 finished rehab a month ago and is now living in a halfway house unable to find a job with just a high school diploma.

I agree with the OPs...you are to be totally commended for protecting your daughters and being a good mom. Your fiance, though...like my dh has to feel like he's done all he can for his child...hopefully sooner rather than later and your relationship can continue. Only time will tell. SS21's drug use almost caused dh's and my marriage to fail this year. Addictions DO destroy relationships...I can tell you that with firsthand experience. I've even told dh if he allowed his son to live with us again, I would most likely move out. 3 years of the "drug merry-go-round" is enough.

I, too, may look into the book mentioned by another poster. My dh doesn't feel I'm sympathetic or compassionate enough to his youngest, but I'm not his mother either. I can see "what is" much clearer than dh who has that parental unconditional love for his son that I don't.

flannery's picture

I cant thank you all enough for your insight and sharing your personal experiences similar to mine.

I try to put myself in my fiancés shoes, try to understand where he is coming from but we apparently have very different parenting styles and outlooks on what is happening.
for example, as I mentioned, SD17 was arrested for arson about 6 months ago, after her short stent in juvenile hall, she was released to the care of her father with strict instructions to keep her out of trouble until court. Not less than a week later she stole her grandparents car and went joy riding all night, she has no license, nor had she had any drivers ed or practical training...thank god no one got hurt.
I was shocked and saddened that no one, not my fiancé, not her grandparents or even her estranged mother had the presence of mind to notify the authorities. My fiancé told me I was heartless and cruel to expect him to deliberately get his daughter in more trouble by reporting the theft. He couldn't see that my rational was not just making SD17 held accountable for her actions but also and more importantly for this reason- If this were my daughter, I would much rather have a daughter with a felony record and all the consequences that would follow her through her life THAN have a dead daughter.
My fiancé and I still cant discuss that situation to this day. And that's just the beginning of behavior, or lack there of on my fiancés part that I wholeheartedly disagree with. I have learned through trial and error to just stay out of it, unless it directly affects my daughters, myself or my property. which has caused a huge rift between my fiancé and I as you can imagine.

We have a family vacation we have been planning for over a year and a half to Mexico, which is rapidly approaching. I know I cannot bring SD17 and I am dreading the conversation that must take place very soon with my fiancé telling him his daughter is no longer welcome on the family vacation we have been planning and anxiously awaiting for so long. I have a feeling it will end up being just my girls and I and possibly the beginning of the end of my relationship which I cherish with all my heart.

I just cant believe that our lives have been so unbelievably damaged in such a short period of time. I don't know if I have the patience and the emotional armor to wait it out while my fiancé goes through the process of making sure he has done all he can for his daughter.

emotionaly beat up's picture

Ok, well firstly let me say this. I do feel for. you, and I do understand how much this must hurt you. But your fiancé is actually the one destroying your relationship, not his daughter.

You were absolutely right, when that girl stole the car and went joy riding in it, she put not only herself at risk, but others too. Her fathers failure to report her was tantamount to giving her permission. He has not brought his daughter up to be a responsible, independent, productive member of society. His actions in covering up her crime prove he never will. You don't want this around your kids and your fiancé seems incapable of handling it in a responsible manner. He seems afraid to do the right thing here, either afraid of tipping her over the edge, or afraid she won't talk to him anymore, but whatever his fears are, they are reverting him from being the strong, decisive father and role model this girl needs.

Go to Mexico with your girls. It may well be the end of your relationship, but far better to lose this relationship than live the life your fiancé is offering.

The person I actually think is going to lose the most here is his daughter. He can't help her, he doesn't have the strength it takes. You fortunately for your daughters are not only a strong woman, but an unselfish, wise woman. You will be fine once you finally make your decision.

flannery's picture

Your absolutely right.. My fiancé is incapable of handling his daughter and the situations that have risen. And he has only made things worse by his denial and subsequent inactions to her behaviors..
I have been equally shocked by not only all the medical professionals we have sought help from but the juvenile judicial system that have both ignored and trivialized our pleas for help and guidance.

SD17 came to live with us (and with her father for the first time since she was 3 years old) just over 2 years ago. My fiancé had the worst case of "Disneyland Dad" I had ever seen. Withdrawn and troubled by her bio-moms alleged abuse (I question it only now because SD17 has proven to be a habitual liar) we brought her to live with us thinking our stable environment would do nothing but good things for her. We were wrong, I was wrong. And my girls suffered for it, especially my oldest daughter who brunt the majority of SD17 anger. What began as your basic standard teenage rebellion developed into this nightmare that is now his daughter. Yes I got my girls out of there, but it wasn't soon enough, and I will forever have to live with the guilt of my mistake.