You are here

Great kids. I miss their mom on their behalf.

mph's picture

Hi, haven't posted here before... But today it's my stepkid's 16th birthday and an emotional day. His mother passed away 5 years ago and she'd be so proud of him and the fantastic adult he's becoming. I fiercely wish she could be here for her family today. It so, absolutely sucks for families who've lost someone and, today, it's brwaking my heart. Thanks for letting me vent, y'all. Appreciate it x

Rags's picture

It is heartening to hear a positive blended family story even with such a sad undertone. I am sure your Skid's mother is very proud of him and very thankful for you being a mother to the children that you, she and their dad share.

Tell him what you have shared here. Tell him that you are proud of him and that you are very sure that his mom is proud of him too.

Keep up the good work and congratulations on your son reaching 16. It just seems to move faster after this one... as they all do.

Sincerely,

mph's picture

Thank you both, he and his brother live with me and my partner full time.

I'm not saying it's easy all the time - but we all want it to work, so how lucky am I ?! And also very fortunate that we can all talk about her so she's not as lost as she might have been.

Hard for my partner, I know, on happy days like this though. You always want to share the good times huh!

Really though - genuine thanks. It's so nice to be able to share.

CantKeepDoingThis's picture

It is so rare on these boards to hear about a "positive" blended family situation. It is good to hear about the good teens out there! Gives the world a glimmer of hope!

Just enjoy them...the time goes by fast! That is so evident to me this week as BS19 graduates.

willitgetbetter's picture

Like you, my heart broke for my stepchildren when they lost their mother. Their relationship with their father was long distance and not encouraged at all. They lived in Florida and we lived in NY. He attempted to call regularly. He was unable to see them because he paid 800 in child support plus medical insurance and copayments. The situation was very negative. While in hospice she attempted to sign over parental rights to her grandparents, so bitter. She had cancer. MH is a good man. She knew she was dying. They were 9 and 12. She could have prepared them. Although he had joint custody with her, we still had to fight for them. We hired 2 lawyers. It was rough going! Everything has not always been peachy but we have managed to blend 2 families or so we thought. They have been here 8 years. My SD is now 20 and is doing great but her disrespect for  us is awful. She goes to college, works full time, and has her own vehicle. All of this on her own but my older children had to do it the same way. Now she is pulling my SS in too. She actually intimitates him I think. Besides that is he is her only bio sibling. Her mom was on SSD and her grandparents have money also and will shower her with what we cant do. I am happy they do but she defines that as us not caring because we cant. We have 5 children together. She also does not contribute to helping out by doing anything around the house. She just comes and goes. I have loved them both and helped them in so many ways but I am discouraged and exhausted.  I have to have hip surgery. I recently had 2 Grand Mall seizures. Due to this, I have to move back upstairs from the basement. We moved there when they came, it isnt finished so we took it.  I wouldnt if I didn't have too. It is our only privacy. We cant even talk in our own home. Last year my daughter and grandaughter had to move back home. Now my SD has to move to the smallest room. I didnt plan this. I don't want this surgery. She says its ridiculous because she has been through so much. I'm just tired. I have diverticulitis flare ups also. I don't know what to do. I honestly love them but this is getting to me. I guess I need to disengage but I don't know how to do that eitheir. I wish I didn't care sometimes. HELP This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Rags's picture

Do not mistake love for not holding this toxic 20yo fully responsible for her toxic manipulative crap.

Quit the guilt feelings and start focusing only on her behavior. She is using the death of her mother as a manipulation tactic and both you and her father need to call her on it and confront it each and every time she pulls this shit.

Take care of you.  Good luck with your medical treatments.

Downsouth's picture

My skids mom passed in 2010. SD was 11. SS was 5. 

I used to feel that way about SD. Prom, boyfriends, when I had to take her to get an abortion... ya know mom stuff.

however I have learned from lots of people that knew BM that the kids are way better off with DH than they ever would have been with BM. She was fun time loving mom. Not parenting mom. They would have gone to crap schools, lived in filthy conditions and remained in section 8 housing. SD would have not had a car, college $, a $500 prom dress etc. 

thats not saying a mothers love could be replaced but.... BM would of been head over heels when SD got prego at 18 with a loser liar guy she was dating for a month. And she would have encouraged SD to get section 8 and welfare. 

So I used to feel that way, but not really anymore.

Rags's picture

If that mother is a waste of skin and parental POS... absolutely their love can be and should be replaced.

The same applies to a waste of parental skin POS father.

Toxic people should not be tolerated. Regardless of who that toxic person is. Particularly in the lives of children.

While traumatic and emotionally intense, losing a toxic parent is far better than having children exposed to that toxic influence for much of their lives. At least in that situation the kid has a chance at breaking the toxic cycle and progressing to viable adulthood unencumbered by the influence of the deceased toxic parent.

Your Skid is lucky to have had you and her dad guiding her life without the polluting influence of her toxic mother. 

IMHO of course.