You are here

Feeling resentful: step-daughter gets all the perks, none of the responsibility

lettucemama's picture

I'm frustrated with my 14-year-old SD and my DH. SD lives with us 99% of the time, as does her little brother, SS (9-year-old). DH and I also have a little one together, who is 13 months old. And we are expecting our second, in about a month. We get no money from SD and SS's bio-mom.

Relationships have always been good between me and SD; she hasn't had resentment toward the baby, nor toward the upcoming new baby. She loves them and likes being the big sister. The worst relationship in the house is probably between SD and SS -- SD is always mean to him, orders him around, takes his stuff, screams at him if he uses anything of hers, etc.

My problem is this: money is tight around here. We run our own business, and we are counting our pennies. SD has always taken dance classes (since she was three, when her parents were together and had lots of money). The classes are expensive; she has two a week, and there are multiple costume fees, competition fees, etc. The further along she has gotten in her dance, the more expensive her classes have gotten. She now insists on taking solo/private lessons, and we are paying upwards of $150 a month for just the classes. In addition, now she is wanting to go to more school events, friends' activities, movies, dances, games, etc., and buy friends birthday gifts, etc. I don't begrudge her activities, but it just keeps going up and up. She shows no interest in earning money for her own activities, even though we keep suggesting it. She has a horse and we pay a trainer weekly to come out and train the horse and work with SD. Nobody else in our family has so much of the monthly budget going toward their desires. And if I balk at anything, or we suggest she try to earn some money to pay for part of her activities, she just goes to her grandmother to complain, and then we get a lecture from my MIL.

SD refuses / *forgets* to do chores around the house; she conveniently forgets anything of importance; she tells us about things at the last minute that are *required* for school or dance or whatever. She comes home from school with friends and they proceed to clean out the fridge.

So, the setup is this: she gets everything she wants. She doesn't have to do anything. I ask her for the slightest favor (could you please bring up the dry clothes and put the clothes in the washer into the dryer?) and she *forgets.* Not to mention she pouts constantly unless she is getting her way.

Her little brother, my SS, is awesome. He is helpful. He doesn't ask for much of anything. He is always cheerful. He works for his dad, for the business, to earn money to buy things he wants. He only has one activity that he goes to at the Y, and it is relatively cheap.

My 13-month-old is too little to be much trouble. I don't buy her anything except absolute necessities, because we can't afford it.

I don't get myself anything but absolute necessities for the same reason.

For some reason, my SD gets all the perks and has no responsibilities, and I just can't see it improving. She is getting older, wanting more things, and wanting to do less and less for them. I can't seem to get DH to finally decide to let her learn what it means to earn something, or help out, or just be part of the family. We talk about it, and we kind of agree that she needs to earn some of her own things -- we have told her that if she wants to go on the class trip to Washington DC next year, she has to earn it herself. There are lots of ways for her to do so, and we've outlined them, and her teachers have offered all kinds of ways to earn the trip -- but she is really avoiding thinking about it or doing anything about it.

My feeling is: if you don't earn the money, you don't go. But I'm sure she's thinking that someone, somehow will bail her out, if she doesn't do it. And I feel, maybe even unfairly, that I hope she doesn't get bailed out by her grandmother. I am not going to allow DH to bail her out. But I just know it's going to roll around, and she won't have the money, and everyone will feel sorry for her again. I almost wish she would have to miss the trip, as a consequence -- maybe she would learn something. But then I'm the big meanie, because no one else wants her to be disappointed.

Do I need to just let this go, and try to get over it? I don't think it's fair -- she is not the only person in the family.

Sigh.

Lettuce

startingover2010's picture

exsd was the same. she always wanted to go skating with freinds on friday nights. it cost 8 to get in, plus a few extra bucks for drink. exbf wouldnt make her do chores to earn the money. whenever i initiated her doing chores, she refused to do it and he wouldnt make her. at the time, we were both out of work, and unemployment barley helped us along. but, he always made sure she had money on fridays, extra money in her school lunch account for snacks, and when he would go to her school to have lunch with her, he brought her mcdonalds.

i would suggest letting it go. if you are going to be labled a meanie for trying to instill responsibility in your sd, it isnt worth it.

wat you can do is control what you can control----for example, if sd asks you for a favor, say no. dont do extra for her. and if she is upset, just say that to get a little, you have to give a little. maybe one day she will understand that.

good luck hun!

Storm76's picture

When my youngest brother was coming along (the 4th child) we all got sat down and told that with the new baby there wouldn't be enough money for us all to keep doing all our activities & we were asked to choose which we would give up. I don't see why it should be any different in a step family, the money is staying the same but the number of people is increasing.

Also, my sister & I were both working from the age of 13 (properly, in a small local shop) and most of my friends had paper rounds, or would go round offering to wash cars in the neighbourhood.

I agree that it sounds unfair, and perhaps you need to confront your DH with the financial facts - with four children in the household soon, who will all want to do activities, you have to cut your coat to suit your cloth.

"God never gives us more than we can cope with, I just wish he didn't have such faith in me!"

TheOtherMom's picture

I believe your SD is doing the typical 14 year old girl behavior - life revolves around her.
Plus she is the oldest child so in a way, she is the boss (in her mind's eye).
It will help a great deal if DH puts his foot down and also, supports you when you address this issue.
Try to approach it as you did here - logically. Not emotionally.

SerendipitySM's picture

Since your MIL feels the need to lecture you snd DH about SD then perhaps she should start footing the bill for all her extra-curricular activies....

Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist. - George Carlin

tryingtomakeit's picture

I understand where you are coming from and am having the same issues with my step daugther. my step daugther WILL NOT turn off anything that has electricity ran to it. We TELL her too numerous times but for some reason she "Forgets" that is her famous line too!!!

I have not told her yet...but I think the next time it happens I am going to tell expalin to her that if I forget to pay the bill the people will come and cut the electricity off and the cable. SO the next time you leave your tv on and do not turn it off then...I will take your tv away for two or three days?