You are here

Seriously Confused?

RandomGuy's picture

Hi everybody, like many others Im pretty new on here, seeking some advice from the more experienced. Here's a lil bio and my questions..

So, Im currently dating a great woman of 29years young, myself being 28, and she also has 2 children the age of 4. She has been divorced for about 2.5years, and we have been dating a little over 1.5years. We do not live together, and actually live a good distance apart(about an hour). We have a great relationship with and without the kids. Ie.., The Bio dad gets them every other weekend, and Wednesdays overnight. I was hesitant when we 1st met to even meet the kids, actually took me about a year or so before I would agree to go to her house and meet them. I did that because I wanted to make sure "us" was going somewhere and not just a fling.

Fast forward awhile, to now. I find myself in a sticky spot, as I never expected this woman, and her family to have grown on me so much. I really like her kids, her family, and well, of course her. We all get along great, and yea... the kids tell me they love me all the time etc.., My GF is honestly my best friend. I have much feelings for them and her, but 1 feeling I have that I haven't told her.... I'm scared/very cautious of "going to the next level" and "being the step-dad".

Her and the Bio dad have a bad relationship, and it doesn't seem to get any better ever. She is always so submissive with him it makes me wanna gouge my eye balls out when he belittles her to their kids. It makes me angry, and I don't get angry... It makes me sad for her to hear one of the children say things like "Daddy says you wolnt let us see him more". When that's not how the custody agreement works when they signed it. Anyhow, small things like that...

I work as a contractor that can move/will at the drop of a hat for a better job position, I live alone, and take care of everything myself, thats just how I lived before I met them. Now being in this relationship, I feel as if Im stuck already, and we are just dating still... I feel as I will always be an outsider if we did go to the next level, I will never have a place other then being "SD", I will eventually have to get involved with the bio dad and cater to him, (Which I hate even thinking about) and the fact I will have to fork out my hard earned money to keep us living comfortably, while the Bio dad pays NOTHING. We will never be able to move as a family, even if I did ask her to marry me, because of "him"....

Which bring me to the magical question... Is it worth it? Should I take the pain and run away?

misscinna's picture

the question at hand is always is the juice worth the squeeze. Not one person on this forum will lie to you and say this is ever easy. Not custodials like myself who have complete say and control of skids lives/goings on to part timers who have limited visitation. This job, in my estimation, has a lot to do with how you look at it and the perspective you choose to see yourself and your relationships in. It will be hard. You WILL have to deal with and make allowances for biodouche. It will be a constantly changing lifestyle. As soon as you get ahold of one issue another crops up. You will make mistakes. You may be unfairly judged for them. Step parentood isnt for the faint of heart. Its for people who arent selfish, have big hearts and tough skins. You will be tested. You will be frustrated and angry. Some days you'll want out, others you cant imagine being anywhere else. There is no super huge pay off. Its a journey and you will determine the outcome by your actions day in and out. You will be loved, hated, judged, accused, confided in, confortable, cast out, lonely, happy and angry. Sometimes all in one day. You arent stuck until you say i do, and even then some posters will tell you doesnt mean it will pan out. Ask yourself can you live without this woman? Live without her kids? That should help you find an answer. This is a huuuuuge commitment. Take time to be sure of it.

herewegoagain's picture

Run. Ok, maybe that's not what I meant. I have to say that I don't think stepdads have it anywhere near as bad as stepmoms. Also, if your girlfriend has custody, she calls the shots and no matter what you might think, odds are that SHE's the one in control. Not sure why bio-dad doesn't pay CS...as I have NEVER heard of it unless there is shared custody and even then, some men are FORCED to pay cs.

So, really, she sounds great. Glad you are getting along. You know there are THOUSANDS of women age 28 WITHOUT kids...If I knew then what I know now, I would say that EVERYONE deserves at least ONE chance at a marriage without the nightmare of ex's and skids. And well, I did have my chance before I married my husband. Darn, I think anyone who doesn't have kids should not be allowed to marry anyone with kids. My 2 cents.

Good luck.

my.kids.mom's picture

It is a tough road, and only you can make that decision for your life. Read some of the posts here, they may help LOL.

I do want to comment on this:
"It makes me sad for her to hear one of the children say things like "Daddy says you wolnt let us see him more". When that's not how the custody agreement works when they signed it."
Custody agreements give a MINIMUM of time to fathers (usually) and the custodial parent has the ability to give more time to the non-custodial parent. So if the dad wants more time, and the mom won't let him, in MOST cases it is not right. Women who hide behind the court order and say, "But the court order says..." have issues. They are NOT looking after their child's best interest MOST of the time. I'm sure she thinks he's a crappy dad, and only lets him have the visitation he gets because she HAS to. But her feelings for the father are not important to the child or how he will parent the child(ren).

I say this from experience. Put yourself in the father's shoes and how her actions would affect you as the father. I say this because there may be more drama here than you realize. I lived an hour away from my bf for the first 6 months of our relationship and things REALLY change once you live in the same town. And the drama is NOT fun.

feelinglost's picture

OMG, this sounds just like my situation except that mine hasn't been that long. I can really relate to how you feel. It has been the hardest decision in my life to make. When I first met my bf, I didn't know anything about stepkids and this whole world. My family started telling stories of women in family who has been through it or are in it. I even met a far relative who is married to a man with kids. She told me even though it won't be the end of the world as your mother makes it look like one, but still you should keep your options open and don't rush it in. The thing though is that I feel extremely guilty thinking of leaving him :(. It is not his fault. He is a good man.

Please tell me what you decide and good luck.

RandomGuy's picture

The child support thing.... Well, its not really my business so I try to stay out of it when I can. Im not sure of all the details, but, when she got separated for "irreconcilable differences", they signed some kind of agreement where she would take primary custody, he would have the weekend / Wednesday thing, only if she would not ask for child support. I guess she was scared he would go for full custody, and didn't want to take that gamble. He did agree though to "unmandated child support" which he has never paid. She did show me the divorce agreement, although I didnt really read it... He was dishonorably discharged from the Army for w/e reason and was actually gay/bi w/e. She actually walked in on the act, and that was the final straw, or so I was told. She was so submissive, he used and still uses the kids / custody as leverage against her. That I have seen for myself...

The custody thing, she has no problem with him seeing them more, however The reason the kids comment bothered me so much is... The Bio-dad is never around on his time. His parents pick the children up from daycare, and drop them off. When my GF calls them on his weekends, she never calls their dad, shes told to call the grandparents phone. Which means hes not home with them. On a side note, I did find out their bio-dad has asked his new GF to marry him. She also has 2 kids and no job. He works part time at a 7-11. Don't ask me how I know, but its good info... lol. Thats really heart breaking, knowing when he is with him, hes putting that gibberish in their head.

"Is the juice worth the squeeze" is the most simple, yet complicated question I have ever come across. Another poster asked me to ask myself if I could live without her/the kids.... Well, I just don't know. I guess what makes the question so hard is, I have never been seriously involved with a DM w/ kids... This whole thing is new to me...

I have friends who took on the job of a SD, in which I do ask them for advice, but their family doesn't have the Bio-dad in the picture....

I love where my life is at the moment, however, Im not getting any younger and these questions are starting to plague me. Thats why I posted here I guess, to ask other step dads who have been through this.... Was it honestly worth it now that you look back on it? All the hatred, all the "your not my dad", all the money spent and time invested.... Would you do it again?

Another couple things I ask myself, and I don't mean to bring religion in this, as I am not a religious person, but... Maybe this is my test in life / What I was put here to do....

I just don't know, and I feel bad for keeping this going because, I don't know....

misscinna's picture

Well, I can give you a few answers/ideas.

#1. You love your life, you are happy how you are. - Don't change it. A lot of those things will go away with your new step family. Many of us are happy with our significant others and their kids but that doesn't change the fact that we had to give up wants, desires, and dreams to get here. There is a certain percentage of posters who are not happy one single day in their step family life. If you are happy in your life than it's time to leave. Not getting any younger isn't a great reason, you will be able to find a woman with no kids and far less commitments than your g/f. Great as she is.

#2. I asked my FDH (future dear husband) your question as a step dad. FDH raised and took care of his ex wife's daughter from a one night stand from the time she was 2 years old until she turned 16 and he got divorced from her mother. His stepdaughter called him dad even though biodad was in the picture. Biodad lived out of state but still saw her frequently. His advice to you was as follows:

~ I don't necessarily regret the time I had with her. I put a lot more effort into her than i probably should have given that she supposedly hates me now and I am the biggest piece of garbage. Never mind her mother was the one who cheated on me for years. The only thing I really took away from 16 years of being a step dad was how and how not to raise my own kids. Was it valuable? Yes. Could I have figured it out without the bullshit another way? Definitely. Would I do it all over again? No. Part of the reason I ended up marrying her mother (besides me getting her knocked up) was because of my stepdaughter, because they "needed" me, because I wasn't getting any younger. These are not good reasons to marry someone and start a step parent life, because here I am after 16 years of up all nights and school projects and buying everything she ever wanted or needed and I ended up with an irrational 18 year old who has nothing to do with me for no good reason and wound up pregnant by 17 I spent years raising her right and after 1 year with her angry bitter mother she wound up with a kid living in a trailer. It doesn't matter that she made honor roll for years living with me. Doesn't matter that I paid for the best of everything for her. Family vacations, school clothes, supplies, money to go out with friends. Doesn't matter that I gave her all the best opportunities she could have. Growing up she was a bitch to my other children EVEN THOUGH I HAD HAD HER SINCE SHE WAS ONE YEAR OLD! ~

In summary - whatever "investment" you are considering putting in, that doesn't guarantee some return on it. Even if you spend years upon years being the father of the year, those girls may not ever give you anything to show for it. Can you live with that?

Can you say that you gave your all for nothing and that just having been a good person is enough for you?

#3. The drama. Whatever you think your situation is now. It's not. When you move in with this woman you will see what is really going on behind the scenes. It is INCREDIBLE. If you don't mind drama - this is the life for you. If not - get out. FAST. Because it will NEVER go away. FDH has been divorced for 2 years and not living with the ex for over 3. We STILL have drama. She doesn't even see the kids any more than 4 days a month. We STILL have court dates for all kinds of ridiculous shit. You would be amazed by the amount of crap a person who has nothing to do with their kids can stir up.

Bottom line: decide what you can and cannot live with, then make your decision and move fast. Either move forward or move on because every second you stay with this woman and these kids is another day harder you make it for them to get used to being without you.

Good Luck.
Let us know what happens.

GoodbyeNormaJean's picture

If she is marriage minded and family minded, leave. Stop seeing her. Stop seeing her kids.

It's rude awakening time. You are shop lifting the goodies from a single mom. You aren't willing to commit, and understandably so, but still you are taking up a space in her life.

It's okay to say "I'm not sure." If you aren't sure, stop wasting her time. Either she is definately worth it, no hesitation, or she isn't.

NancyL's picture

If you make this relationship permanent you are getting married to all 4 of them so make sure you understand that before you sign the contract.

misscinna's picture

" Make sure you know that it is a struggle and that it doesn't just "get better with time". I think a lot of us have made the mistake thinking "well I am sure as time goes on things will get easier" WRONG...if anything they have gotten harder. Kids being "good kids" doesn't mean that you will just magically develop unconditional parental love towards them and willingly want to take on normal parent tasks."

This^^^^^

100% truth. Great kids or not. Tons of support from biomom or not. It.Is.HARD.Every.Single.Day. This is a lifestyle CHOICE. An attitude choice. I CHOOSE to love my skids everyday. Not because I always feel it. But because love is a verb. An action word. It's a choice.

Stepguy's picture

Before you make your decision, consider this...

You are NOT your gf's kids father, nor will you EVER be.

If your gf is a good person, you will ALWAYS be last, her kids will always come first.

Her past experience with her ex will most likely factor majorly in how she handles you in a relationship.

The teenage years are ahead.

If you consider that the average person starts a careen at age 23, you will be locked in to a huge variety of issues until you are about 47.

As their biomom, your gf has first say on discipline.

When you come home to your house/apartment, and it's JUST you, and no one else, it is a blessing...cherish it, because it will never happen again.

As far as bio dad is concerned? Yeah, you will have to bite the bullet on MANY issues that come up.

You may hurt for a while, but when you become a step, you give up a lot. Think of what is best for YOU long term.

helen murphy's picture

If you dont mind me saying i havent read the replys just read your info. I no how hard it would be for you to become a sd but what hurt on your info was daddy says you wont let us see him anymore that is the bd saying this to the children not there thinking . By the sounds of it you want things to move on yes you maybe jittery but surely if you have feelings for each other then that was in the pipe line .Yes i understand you had nothing to worry about in the past and taking on a new partner with children would be hard but its through no fault of the lady you are seeing , honestly i cant see a problem maybe you are scared of commitment, as for bd he will have to get used to his ex being happy . You sound like a decent man dont be to hasty you get no guarantees in life nothing in life is easy but can be rewarding . Kids always come first in a relationship some people find that hard but wouldent you rather them turn out ok with help or mums partners coming first if u get me . ps step dads are important too choose rite but at least have a good talk with the woman u are seeing communication is a great means of sorting slight to massive problems

RandomGuy's picture

Thanks alot everybody for the "inside info" and advice. Took some time to really take it all in and kinda think about the bigger picture..

I have come to this conclusion... For the moment, Ima ride this one out and see what happens. If this doesn't work later down the road, at least I can say I tried and didn't give up. Not being stuck with that infamous question "What-if"....

Thank you~
Randomguy Smile