You are here

Reactive Attachment Disorder

Trymybest83's picture

I will start by admitting I am at my wits end and feel rubbish today Sad

My ss10 has RAD, he had a rubbish first 3 years of life so this diagnosis we have been given is fitting. I have been here since he was 3, 7.5 years. I have cuddled him, loved him, wiped away tears, provided comfort, security and everything a mother should.

BUT nothing is ever enough for him, I have a daughter who is 20 months and I am 6 months pg, SS10 steals, lies and constantly does loads of naughty things such as pour my shower gel down the sink, dig holes in his floor boards, cut up clothes, eat frozen food and just loads of little things.

I do not feel I love him anymore, I have just had enough - bio-mum went away years ago and has never looked back since he was 5 and since had another family - its very sad, I feel for him but at the same time I do not know how to deal with him.

Does anyone have any tips with children with RAD? I am 50/50 about leaving to be honest, I just cannot take anymore Sad

hismineandours's picture

You need to find a good therapist who specializes in RAD. Also the book-theraplay has some good activities in it. This is really more a manual for therapists, but will give you ideas on some activities to do with him. The idea is that he never went through the proper developmental tasks as an infant/toddler so you almost have to go back and repeat those-it sounds like you do a good job already-but make sure you use lots of touch, eye contact with him, and a calm demeanor. RAD is so, so tough to deal with. I think my ss, while does not likely have full blown RAD, he defintiely has attachment issues.

What about his dad? I hear all the things you are doing for him, but is dad doing these things as well? He needs to be completely on board and working on attachment issues with your ss as well. I would also advise you to get your own therapist if you havent already as it sounds as if you are experiencing some battle fatigue.

Kes's picture

Hi - I see you are a Brit like me - I would strongly suggest you get in touch with an organisation called Contact A Family http://www.cafamily.org.uk/ I used to work for them as an outreach worker, they will be able to put you in touch with a lot of local sources of help, including any therapy locally available via Social Services and/or the NHS.

This really does not sound like a condition that anyone can expect you to handle without a lot of support, especially as you have another child and are pregnant. I can totally understand you feeling you have had enough, but do try and see if you can get the support you need before you make that decision.

RhondaJSharp's picture

wow it seems they have a name for everything. I feel for you, guess you just need to breathe. And take it one day at a time. When children push u to ur breaking point, its when they need the most love. I am in no way saying i know any thing. I hate teenagers, i hate children who have the know it all syndrome. and most importantly i hate it when they want to tell me a story of an event i saw gone down in the first place. They have names for children who want to mis behave, they have names for children who havent been taught to shut there mouths. And the damndest thing its suppose to be acceptable. But i do find that talking about it helps. A social worker once told me that they have parents who drop their kids off at the the family support office and leave them there cuz they cant deal with them any more.At one point i felt that way about my ss who was diagnosed with a behavioral disorder and a conduct disorder. which i feel is a bunch of crap. but thats neither here or there. I thank u for sharing i know being preggers has alot to do with ur emotions. and i am sorry that u feel the way u do.I can relate. my advice it will get better. just take the time to breathe.