You are here

Its ok to make teen agers climb the ladder of acceptability

More than i thought's picture

My step children are 10- boy, 12-girl,16-girl & 18-girl(away at school). They constantly lie- don't believe any of them anymore! the 16yrs old is a totally BULLY! But Dad still sees them as "kids" and coddles them to death!! I am accused of "picking apart" every thing they do wrong apart, but he is rather afraid of them or constantly telling me "its no bid deal" or "just let it go". I always thought you have to a parent first and friends much later. it is like he is afraid to ask them to lift a finger in our our house without me asking, but Alice does not live with us!! - i would like her for xmas.

Last night was the straw breaker! We bought a new camper and truck (i know its no big deal- but we traded in his old ones), so my husband & I picked them out and love them. The 16yrs old - who never goes with us anyways, started to tell me again how much she missed the other vehicles. She only says it to me when she is mad at the world for not appreciating her- which is all the time! -HELP HELP!! She is mainly the one who is rude to me in my husbands presence, but he can't see/hear it??!! I have had enough, want to shake him or have not idea how to help him and keep us from send another entitled child into this world.

Just lost and tired of fighting for manners???? :? :? :?

step off already's picture

Yep. This is my standard response when SS tells us/me that 1) he likes it better in the city he used to live in or 2) he wants XYZ tennis shoes or if he chimes in on how he would like to see the house (my house) remodeled.

"Gee SS, the great thing is that when you're an adult, and you have a great job, you'll be able to purchase all of these things for yourself. so make sure you do well in school and go to college..."

BadNanny's picture

Yeah, it's the buzzkill-effect. I get it at times, too, but after multiple speeches against negativity, they are getting less and less. That is why she doesn't get squat from me anymore, every time I go out of my way, she finds a way to buzzkill it. I'd ask her: Are you trying to be mean or are you just plain ignorant?

More than i thought's picture

it is "nice"? to know it is not just me. i will not my kids or his any differently and when mine tell me, you just have to learn not to care - its time to change what i am doing!
I will practice and the "are you just trying to be ignorant" and "who give a shit what you think"- i don't. Maybe then he will catch on without me pointing it out for him Smile