You are here

4 yo SS is turning into a brat

minnesconsin.girl's picture

New here. I am in a relationship with a man who has a 4 yo son from a previous long-term relationship. We've been together 2 years and he has 50/50 custody with the BM, who I do not have a close relationship with. We are pleasant when we see each other but I do not interfere or insert myself in co-parenting between her and my bf.  

BM has very different parenting philosophies than we do. She thinks even the slightest discipline or correction to a child qualifies as abuse. To say she doesn't have boundaries with her child is an understatement. She coddles, drops everything to do the slightest task for him that he can easily accomplish himself, helicopters, etc. SS is afraid of everything, melts down to the tiniest correction, acts like his leg is cut off when he gets the tiniest bump...you get the picture. 

Lately, when SS is here, he is bratty, demanding, and uncooperative. He's a very intelligent child but due to the coddling at his other home he expects the smallest age-appropriate tasks to be done for him and it's a battle to raise him. Since I've been in the picture I've established a lot of boundaries in our home. SS is expected to sleep in his own bed (we sleep trained him at 3 yo--BM doesn't get him adequate sleep because she cosleeps and he goes to bed when she does/gets up when she does), help with picking up his own toys, take baths when asked, etc. Due to the stage he's at now, it's been a struggle to say the least. But it's also very apparent he gets away with refusing to cooperate whether he has to do things at BM's. She never tells him "no" I've personally seen her give in a dozen times to anything he wants within a 1 hour period. If he gets aggressive or screams in our faces, he is sent to a time out, otherwise for the most part we "gentle parent" or are authoritative parents. 

BM confronted us the other day during an exchange. She threatened court because SS says we "make him do things he doesn't want to do" and tells her he doesn't want to be with us on transition days (he does the same to us in regards to her when we drop him off--"I don't want to go to mama's/I want to stay with you forever/etc."). He also expresses these same sentiments when he is being disciplined or doesn't get his way in our home. Screams that he only wants/loves his mom, never wants to come back here, hates us, etc. 

How do we raise a child with respectful boundaries without court being threatened?! And how do we curb these behaviors? I'm at the point now where I am excited the day he leaves to go to BM's. I care about him a lot and do my best to be gentle and fair, but he's been a nightmare lately. I know that my bf losing parenting rights would break his heart and I will do anything to fight for his child, but I don't know how we can keep boundaries and keep this child appeased in order to stop the threats at the same time. 

minnesconsin.girl's picture

I should mention, I do not have any biological children of my own, so parenting is relatively new to me. 

Winterglow's picture

"How do we raise a child with respectful boundaries without court being threatened?"

You ignore her threats and carry on regardless. How your husband decides to raise his son on his time is his business and BM can go and kick rocks. If she tried to go after you for trying to get a child to do things he didn't want to do (can yo uimagine the examples she'd give? You make him brush his teeth/get dressed by himself/pick up his toys before bedtime/make his bed, etc. Good grief, she'd be laughed out of court!

ESMOD's picture

as long as the consequences in your household could not be misconstrued as abusive.. you have no problem setting reasonable standards of expectation for his behavior.

So.. no spanking.. no withholding food.. or forced exercises... but depriving a kid of his TV or electronics or toys? making them sit in a corner to think about their transgression... that's fine.

Rags's picture

lather... rinse.... repeat.

In your home, he will comply with standards of behavior and performance of he will live the consequences.

What BM does or does not do in her h9ome is irrelevant.  B can F-off.

CODs have to adapt. They live in two worlds that very well may have two sets of rules and two realities. They should have no option but to adapt immediately when they step from one of their worlds to the other.

Quit playing the games of an idiot BM and of a toddler. Your home, your rules, your game.

Win it. If you win it, the Skid will benefit and be far more prepared to launch into adulthood having learned structure, adaptation, and that he can succeed in both worlds. What great preparation for the real world.  Most importantly, you will purge as much of th idiot BM's influence on your life, your home, and your family.  She is an X. Nothing more.  If she cannot engage as an additive influence, scrape her off of your shoe like you would any other noxious substance  you step on.

Good luck.