You are here

Emotional abuse? Need help! (Very long)

Phoenix45's picture

Okay I will start of with a quick bit of history before getting to our latest concern...so DH has 3 girls sd10, sd8, sd6 with BM and he and I have 2 bks together as well. Over the almost four years I've been around there have been a slew of problems with BM and even sks. My younger 2 sks have always been close to their dad and my middle is especially close to me as well, and they have been asking for about 2 years to come live with us. DH and I have tried asking BM for more time (we were previously getting EOWE and holidays and shool breaks etc.) But she always refused saying if we split time more evenly they'd have adjustment issues. Oldest step daughter has major behavior problems and is never disciplined by mom like she is here, so she is very open about NOT wanting to be here. Well, for about a year now we have been very worried about our girls. They've had problems at home ranging from mom moving new boyfriends in and out every few weeks to nasty living conditions to being physically abused to being forced to lie about where they live and who they were lived with (and they even eventually believed their own lies, which scared me since that seemed something akin to coaching/brainwashing) they keep lice, which BM constantly tells teachers comes from our house despite the fact that none of us have it but treat heads frequently for safe measure and use a lice shield shampoo to keep them away. I started checking heads at the door because they kept coming to us with lice. On top of all of this, she did drugs right in front of them, but she told them the joints were cigarettes and the pills were Tylenol. She even got on meth and then afterward told us she'd been doing it all along but she had "quit" so we should just leave it aloneThe worst it got was when middle step daughter began crying/screaming/kicking and having near tantrum like freak outs when time to go to moms.. We asked her why and she said they told her she wasn't allowed to tell what was happening there but she couldn't go home and ever since, she has had those meltdowns when time to go home. We were terrified for the kids so we took them CPS, who went out ONE out of three times they were called. They did not drug test, check for bruises etc. they simply made sure there was food and left. Then, we spoke to the judge and asked if we could get emergency temporary custody until we could have her drug tested. He said hire a lawyer. We spoke with the best lawyer in town, who told us it was fighting a losing battle and he'd charge us 20,000 over the course of months for investigators, drug tests and extra because he knew we'd lose. It's a mothers state and he didn't think character witnesses who had done drugs with her, the kids accounts and a hair test would be enough. Defeated, we eventually decided to save up and wait a year or two because there was very little we could do except love them and take care of them on our time.

NOW, however things are changing rapidly. She is, allegedly, back on meth and has certainly been acting this way. When my sd got sick she asked to stay the week, BM said yes and allowed her to stay. During that time as announced to her mom that she would be living with us. BM basically said ok and let her stay. The one day she was supposed to go home she called us crying and had us come pick her up, when we got there she said she was scared because BM is telling her terrible scary things about people wanting to break in and kill everyone or that there are ghosts in their home, etc. well we took SD with us and then BM offered us every other week out of the blue with the other two. For some reason she pretty much gave up middle SD but only wants every other week with the others. At any rate as middle as cried about how scared she was I called a family friend who is close with BM. She told us the week before she found out BM is back on meth and said she just wanted to give up and give them to their dad so she could have time to herself but she couldn't do that without raising red flags so she'd do every other week instead and that way she could keep CS etc.

The BM bf says he's buying a gun and shooting anything that makes noise at their place in the night and Bc their so paranoid my husband is afraid if we send the other two back next week he might shoot them if they were to accidentally drop something in the dark or stumble around trying to get to the bathroom at night. We are also worried about their overall safety as the younger two are so uncomfortable there.

My question is, DH wants to go to CPS again as well as a lawyer to ask for help. I however believe she will give us all of them in a short matter of time now that she's back on drugs and I don't want to rock the boat and lose our middle girl as well as the extra time with the other two since this is extra time not specified on custody papers. I don't want them to get hurt, but I know CPS won't drug test they'll just go out there and so a welfare check which will piss of BM. What should we do?

Phoenix45's picture

It's frustrating because so far only one lawyer we met with out of three will even take the case which worries me as that seems to be an indicator that we don't have enough evidence. How much evidence is enough? If CPS keeps going out and finding nothing and leaving is that going to harm our case?

Phoenix45's picture

We tried the sherif as well as drug task force they said they could tag her as someone to pull over and search but will not raid her home without evidence. I'm at my wits end! And the middle started two weeks ago staying with us the other two started this week but I've been taking pictures every time we have them off scheduled time.

misSTEP's picture

I would encourage the SDs - especially the middle one - to talk to their school counselor. They are mandated reporters. CPS might be more inclined to dig further if it is a neutral party that reports these things.

notsurehowtodeal's picture

Will she let you keep the kids if you keep giving her CS? Not something you would want to do forever - but it might be a short term solution.

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

if it were me, I'd say hey.. I'll let you keep the CS just give me the kiddos. That's all she wants is the money.