You are here

Trying to make sense out of a nightmare

Russell81's picture

I found this forum through a search and I have enjoyed reading so many posts from people that are going through so many similar things. I honestly thought my wife and I were the only ones to experience something so bizarre, but after reading the posts I see that many folks have similar issues. I'm glad I found this place.

Anyways, I'll try to keep this post as short as possible. I want to preface this by saying that my wife has Full Custody and is Legal Custodian of her girls.

I met my wife about 5 years ago while teaching history at a small private school. We married and I inherited 4 beautiful step-daughters. I had taught them for 2 years prior to meeting their mother so the transition went smooth for the most part. The girls ages were: 13, 10, 8, and 7.

Obviously their Dad did not like me and was still bitter towards his wife for divorcing him about 3 years prior to me coming along. He had a lot of influence on the oldest stepdaughter who was 13 at the time. He pumped her head full of lies about me and her mother and for the longest time she believed them. I usually just ignored the nonsense he would say and eventually she and I had a very good relationship. I always had a decent relationship with her when I was her teacher.

Over about a years time the SD started having issues with her dad. On his weekends he was taking them out to eat and then dropping them off at his families house while he went somewhere else. They didn't do much with him on his weekend and he usually stayed with his parents. Around that time he claimed bankruptcy and did not take my wife's name off the deed of the house they owned which he was court ordered to do. Soon after I had the banks coming after my wife and while I was in the middle of purchasing a home. Obviously we had to consult our attorney and we were able to settle it out of court, but it took a toll on the oldest daughter. His behavior was deplorable and seemed to be getting worse.

One evening I was hooking up the Xbox for her and she came downstairs and said, "Do you want to know what my cousins did to me?" She said it in a joking way which gave me no cause for concern. She then proceeded to give me explicit details of sexual assault that was done to her by her two cousins. The incident had occurred two years prior while under the care of her dad. I talked with her for a little while and then brought my wife in on the conversation. Soon we called her dad and explained the situation and what had occurred. We said that he was not to have the girls around these two boys. We asked if he would talk with his family and find out what happened. He told us that he didn't want to make waves and proceeded to never speak to his daughter about the incident.

Then one day while she was babysitting, she sent a scathing text to her dad. She basically cussed him down one wall and down the next and confronted him with every issue she had with him. When he sent the text to my wife we were a bit shocked. I wasn't too happy with her tone, but she wanted to confront him and thought that she could only do it through text. Basically this sent off a chain reaction and a series of events that resulted in him leaving. Just like that. He was gone for 3 years. He paid CS but did not have any contact with his daughters except for sending them amazon cards through the mail.

That same daughter got into a secret online relationship with another young man. She was 17 at the time and he was 22 and fresh off a divorce. She asked if she could meet him. I wasn't to keen on the idea, but allowed her to meet him with me and her mother present at a local restaurant. The first time I met him he seemed to be okay, then the next time there were some red flags along with a horrifying letter he left her. This guy wrote a long letter to his "future" girlfriend or wife and called it his user's manual. He gave it to her for her to read. It scared the hell out of her and she showed it to us. It was terrifying to read. Within his "manual" he told her that she was his everything and told her of things he would do to her such as groping, cheating, manipulate her emotions, etc. At first she was so afraid she actually slept with her mother for 3 days. I contacted the young man and told him to cease talking to her. They continued to talk to each other in secret and he explained the manual away and convinced her to marry him when she turned 18.

The week before she turned 18 we learned of her plan to take off in the middle of the night on her 18th birthday. We frantically did everything we could do including contacting the police. The police read the manual and contacted border control (he was an illegal immigrant). They said he showed signs of being a human trafficker. Talk about a nightmare I lived it. My SD changed her mind and went to court and placed a CPO on him. A month later she changed her mind again and ran away to another state to be with this guy and wanted to get the CPO removed. She completely flipped. She starting speaking all of these horrible things about her mother accusing her of abuse and being an alcoholic. We were scared for her safety and thought we would call her dad and perhaps he would be able to talk some sense into her.

Instead what we got was him buying her a lawyer, helping her drop her phone and buying her a new phone with a new number, and then testifying on her behalf at the CPO hearing. The magistrate didn't buy any of the arguments and did not drop the CPO. She was placed in counseling and goes back to court in a couple weeks. She moved in with him for about a week, then moved to his sister's home. She is currently there

After the CPO hearing we met up with her dad because he wanted to continue with his visitations. He had not seen the girls for 3 years and now had a fiance. We agreed to start the weekends back up, however we put the stipulation on him that they could not have contact with their older sister. Her 3 sisters did not want to see her and we were advised by the courts that it would be best to keep them separate for awhile. He requested that the girls be allowed to be around her for his wedding, which we allowed but said it had to be brief (it was a courthouse wedding).

Unfortunately, its been one thing after another. He isn't respecting that boundary and the girls keep coming in contact with her and there has been a couple fights because of it. My wife and I keep meeting with him and his wife to try and get some sort of communication going, but how can you work with someone who doesn't care?

And of course, everything is our fault even his absence for 3 years, his bankruptcy, and even the gray in his freaking beard!

This has been an emotional year with so many highs and lows and I am about at my limit with this guy. I've worked with him and now his wife quite a bit. Since coming back into the picture the girls have grown to dislike him and don't want to go with him. He has never apologized to them, never explained his absence except that it was our fault, and believes everything will pick back up like it was 3 years ago.

It is hard to trust a guy that wants to badly to hurt you. I just don't see a solution. Perhaps we got into the weekends too quickly.

Any advice on how to navigate through this mess?

All of this and my wife is expecting our second child in a month. (she is a high risk pregnancy and has had 5 miscarriages before this one)

Last In Line's picture

What a mess!

Oldest daughter--let it go. She is now 18? That's an adult most places. Sometimes you have to turn a kid loose to let them find their own way and make their own mistakes. It's hard--critically hard, but some people can't learn any other way. I had to do that with my oldest child.

BD has made his own bed with his behavior. The 3 younger girls aren't dumb. He is going to cause them to resent him more and more. Does the court order specify the younger girls aren't to be around the oldest? If so, approach the problem from there. If not, then you'll have to go back to court, or just accept that they are going to have contact with her, even though it's rare. Check the laws in your state, ask an attorney. The younger girls may not have to visit BD at all, depending on the laws.

Remember to take time to take care of YOU a little.

robin333's picture

Please, you need to be sure that the other SD'S are NEVER around those cousins. SD'S need to know that they need to call DW if ever in their presence.

Stepmom09's picture

I am so sorry Sad those poor girls. As a stepparent I struggle with being willing to work with someone that would do anything to hurt our family. I don't trust her at all and consistently have my guard up. The good news is that the girls are almost adults when that happens you don't have to deal with them if you do not want to.

Russell81's picture

Thanks for the replies.

I love my step-daughter and have many great memories with her. It really does hurt me to see her this way because I know her mind is messed up, but she is 18 and I need to let her go. To be honest, I think I am at that point with her and I wish her the best. Man I miss her though. The other day I opened up the board game Risk to play with my kids and in it was a paper that had me and my step-daughter's last matchup written out. We didn't finish it because it got too late so we wrote out our pieces and planned to finish it later. That was before Christmas. That caused an emotional response. Can't stop loving her, but have to let her go. Boy is it tough.

With the sexual assault we never contacted the police. The boys live quite a few states away so we tried the counseling route first. Probably not a wise decision, but I didn't want her to go through any more hell. The girls dad was't in support so I did't want a long drawn out court battle.

I struggle with the girls dad. I don't know how to work with this guy and I don't believe it to be possible.

Thanks for the advice as well. My wife and I need a vacation and I can't lie and say that our relationship has not had some rough moments, but this has brought us closer together. But we need a BREAK!

lovemykids21's picture

If you had only done what was legally required and reported the sexual assault by the cousins. If only you had reported the creepy relationship with your SD and a pedophile while she was still a teenager. I don't know how to say this nicely, but it seems like you are trying to vindicate your wife's and your own absences of action on behalf of the daughter. I can only say that I am praying that she will be ok. Being a parent and step parent is never easy, but by GOD when you hear about sexual assault and then a pedophile dating a child, you better report it. She has been failed by so many people.

Last In Line's picture

I'm sure in hindsight they probably wish they had done exactly that. I'm going to guess that YOU personally have never been in a situation where your own family is accused of some heinous behavior of that sort. It's very hard to "do the right thing" when that may tear your entire family apart. It's a horrible situation. I'm not condoning the failure to report, but I can certainly understand why it might have happened.

Russell81's picture

If only...

That is something I have asked myself a million times. Honestly it would have been hard. We did consult a lawyer and he told us we did not have many options. Without any proof it was a he said - she said case. The incident happened before I was even married to her mother and her dad did not support the claim. The only option was court battle.

Really there are no good excuses. I was a stepdad for about a year and a half when this bomb dropped. The first thing we did was contact her dad who said we were lying about it. I wish I would have been more aggressive, but I wasn't. Trust me when I say I have beat myself up over that and more things you can possibly imagine. Boy I did fail her, but I did my best to not. I probably should have consulted counsel first.

What does it matter now? She sees those cousins regularly and says that we falsely accused them. We do keep her sisters away from them and I have personally told her dad that if he violates that order we will file contempt which will put him in jail for a bit. With that threat he has towed the line.

Thanks for the advice