You are here

Treated like a baby

rebster35's picture

SS8 still wears a PullUp at night. We have tried several strategies over the years....setting an alarm, limiting fluids, etc., etc. Sometimes we start to see progress; however, when he goes home to BM, she does nothing....and back to Square One we go. I would think at his age he would want to get over this....but he doesn't seem to mind in the least. BM treats both of her boys like infants. But this one literally won't give up the diaper. Help?

Orange County Ca's picture

Would be pee in the bottle if he had one? I peed in one next to the bed for years because of a bladder problem and nobody died or even got a rash. Get a gallon plastic milk bottle with a handle. Cut the screw top opening off making that hole bigger but leaving the handle well supported. Make the kid empty and rinse it every morning. He won't rinse it if you don't watch.

I'm sure he'll outgrow it also but its pretty stupid you got to spend all that money.

oneoffour's picture

My son wet his bed until he was 10. HE couldn't help it. We would get him up at 8 and 9 and 10 and at 11 he was wet. It has to do with the brain not recognising you are asleep.

Now there could be rewards extended.
"No, you cannot go to a sleepover. Not even with pullups. The other boys will make fun of you. When you are dry through the night we can talk about it again."
"Well if we didn't have to buy pullups every week we could afford that DVD/game. Maybe when you don't need them anymore we could use the money for a DVD/ game."

I would certainly get him checked out by a Dr though. Just to rule out something funky.
Then is will be an uphill battle that you will eventually win.

Orange County Ca's picture

When my son wanted to go camping I told him there was no electricity so he would have to do without his night light. He never used it again. So there is some validity in carrot and stick (kids at school think you're smelly) approach.