You are here

Major Chore Issue! Really NEED to vent!!!

Alison12345's picture

I just spent my entire Sunday trying to get my step-son to do his chore (that he’s paid to do) based on a chore chart that my husband wanted implemented. Here’s how it went;

My step-daughter did her chore willingly this week, missed a few things, I pointed them out to her and she finished the job (very well done for a 9 year old!)

My 12 year old son did his chores this week, missed something, my husband pointed it out and he finished the job without any complaints. He also scrubbed the oven, which was not his chore, without being asked, cleaned his room without complaining and put his clean laundry away.

My 17 year old son came home from work and did his chore (the dishes) immediately.

My 19 year old son did some of his chore but it wasn’t done well. He said it was done but my husband noticed after he left for work that it wasn’t done to our standards. He was told to re-do it when he got home after work. He had made plans to go swimming with his friends and promised that he would do it when he got back. I agreed but told him that if he didn’t do it when he got back, that I would add more chores to his list. My husband was upset that I agreed to this but honestly, I had spent the entire day directing his son and I was exhausted from the turmoil that this created with my husband. I was also in my office working trying to meet a deadline doing my husband’s job because he refused to do it because he said, “I picked on his son”. (We’re self-employed & work together).

My 11 year old step-son was told over and over and over again to sweep the floor properly (his chore is to sweep the main floor area being living room, kitchen, dining room, bathroom & office) but he kept saying he couldn’t do it. I showed him how to do it many times. I also moved things for him and so did his father. His father showed him by actually sweeping some of the floor for him. His son even joked, “Keep sweeping, Dad; show me how”. I believe this is why my step-son kept saying he couldn’t do it and did it poorly so that his father would keep sweeping for him.

My step-son continuously missed areas and his broom didn’t even touch the kitchen, bathroom and office floors. This is his second time doing this chore and both times I exhausted my efforts to get him to finish but it took forever. He is a hockey player and very good at manoeuvring a hockey stick yet he still tried to say he couldn’t move the broom properly. Not to mention, his 9 year old sister does a very good job sweeping.

I tried a tactic that I thought would work. I showed my step-son a youtube video on ‘how to sweep a floor’. It was a funny video of a mom who was fed up of kids always saying “I don’t know how to sweep the floor”. I tried to be extremely patient; in fact, much more patient than I would EVER be with my own children but this wasn’t good enough for my husband. You’d think he’d appreciate that I make such an effort to have these chores done properly and to teach his son responsibility?? Why can’t my husband see that he’s the one who makes this hard for me and his son by doing the sweeping for him or by saying “Good Job” when it was so obvious his broom never touched three areas; kitchen, bathroom & office.

No….instead…..my husband accused me of picking on his son. My husband focused on ranting and raving that my 19 year old hadn’t done a good job even though I agreed after seeing the job and told him I’d make sure he re-did it. When my son came home, I told him to re-do his job (with a lot less patience) and he did it without any complaints. My husband even inspected the job and couldn’t find anything wrong with it and I actually think that made him more angry?? He even grabbed my cell phone out of my hand to check my sent messages to see if I had texted my son secretly so that he would do his chore well??

Yes, I had to tell my son a second time but then it got done. If I only had to tell his son two times, there wouldn't be a problem. Yes, I didn't immediately get on my son's case when he walked in the door from work. I was tired and exhausted from dealing with my step-son ALL day and then having to do my husband's work because he wouldn't do it because I made his son sweep all the floors like he was supposed to do! Not to mention, his son was going back to mom's that day and it couldn't wait for another day. I knew I would be able to get my son to do what I expected when he got home....and I did!

I believe that my husband is blind to his son’s manipulation and he thinks that it’s impossible that another child will do their chore without being asked ten times. I tried to explain that the reason he hears/sees so much interaction between his son and I is because he has to be told so many times to finish his job. I finally had to actually follow his son around and move things so he would sweep properly instructing him every...single...step of the way.

To top it off, we pay the children an allowance for doing these chores so there is a reward for him doing it RIGHT. I tried to explain to my husband that it’s wrong to tell a child they’ve done a good job when they haven’t finished the job and that’s it’s even more wrong to pay them for an unfinished job. I said, “In the ‘real’ world when your son goes out and gets a ‘real’ job, no one is going to pay him if he doesn’t finish the job and finish it well”. None of this reasoning has worked.

Now, I’m getting the silent treatment because of this. I really have to wonder if it’s all worth it. I implement a chore chart that my husband directed and spend my entire day directing his son to do his chore properly and this is the way I’m treated??

Willow2010's picture

How about this…?

You and DH check the other persons’ kids chores. The step parent to the child doing the chore, will check those chores. If the step parent thinks it is not up to par, then the bio parent is the one in charge of getting the chore up to snuff. It will only take one time of your DH following your skid around for one full day to make him do them correctly.

We kind of do it like that here. It works.

3binfotech10's picture

I was studying something else about this on another blog. Interesting. Your perspective on it is diametrically opposed to what I read to begin with. I am still reflecting over the various points of view, but I’m inclined to a great extent toward yours. And no matter, that’s what is so super about modernized democracy and the marketplace of thoughts on-line.I will are available back again.

Online Internet Marketing Company

shootingstarz's picture

Oh man do I agree with this, Echo! They are way old enough. Get it done or be punished.

alwayshope39's picture

We only have my stepson every other weekend. Last weekend I told our 7 year old bd and my 12 year old bs to get their shoes on and come help me do yard work. My husband had already gotten mad at me for getting upset with his son, who is 14...because he can't manage to put his cereal bowl in the dishwasher or make the bed he sleeps in while here. So my husband decides that he is leaving for awhile and takes his son to go....wherever. So they walk out, past my two young children and I raking leaves, picking weeds and bagging it all up. Teamwork was my lesson and I wanted my kids to understand that when you are a family, you help each other out. I was saying as much to my kids when my husband and his son walked out. My husband says; Nice. I ask him what that was all about and he said that I was trying to prove a point in front of the kids. Which, I wasn't...I was simply trying to explain to my kids who also didn't want to be doing yardwork in February, that when you're a family...you work together and get it done as a team. I said; But since you're on the topic, I do think it's wrong of you to teach your son that he doesn't have to do anything while he is here and then take him away from here because you are mad. Teaching him how to handle himself when he is angry with someone and also teaching him to disrespect me. But mostly, teaching him that he is the exception to the rule and he doesn't have to participate or help our family out. He said, "Well I don't think that he needs to do yardwork when he is only here four days a month!!" Which, I agree that I don't think he should have "chores" at our house. I am perfectly fine with him only cleaning up after himself but he can't even do that. But I don't think it's a big deal to ask him to help with something that obviously his younger siblings are capable of. But my husband.... doesn't think he should have to do anything. Nor does he see that his son is learning that it doesn't matter what I think or say.... he can do whatever. I'm talking about a child that has been in trouble in school his entire educational life. Since 1st grade. ALWAYS in trouble. I work with kids who have behavioral issues....it is my job.... I try to explain to my husband that due to my experience in my job, I see all the red flags and if we don't put boundaries up and teach responsibility to his son, he will continue to get in trouble everywhere he goes. But he refuses to see his son as anything other than, "just being a boy". **sigh** It's awful....

hismineandours's picture

MY ss12 also believes he should have no responsibiities at our house because he doesnt live there. And he has said exactly this to me. We had our house for sell and had an open house one Sunday I had told the kids the night previously that I needed about 45 minutes of work out of all of them in the morning to do a final straightening, picking up, etc and that the rest of the day would be for fun. When I woke the kids up they all got to it, except ss who said, "I'm not doing anything I dont live here". When I reminded him that he had been here since Friday and had certainly walked on the floors, ate in the kitchen, pissed in the toilet, as well as in his bed-he still saw no reason why he should do anything. I actually told him that cleaning is what the family was doing this morning and if he did not want to participate in the family to call his mom and go home. And he did. But she refused to pick him up. LOL! He did eventually half heartedly do a couple of things (dh made him)but it was about 1/1oth of the thing the other kids did.
I have also had issues with him sweeping the floor. Whatever chores I give him I try and to make sure they are minimal-so one day I asked him to sweep the kitchen floor-everyone else was doing multiple tasks and I just wanted him to sweep the kitchen floor. Told him multiple times and finally he says he's done. He has swept everything up under the china cabinet, desk, and refrigerator.
I havent told him to do anything in awhile, because I just no longer care. Dh does not like to battle with him and I figure if he doesnt care enough to instill some responibility in his kid neither do I. It is somewhat unfair to my bios but they just deal with it. Any personal mess that ss makes-if he leaves his clothes on the floor, papers, etc-I just pick up and throw in the trash when he leaves. Hope he wasnt wanting to keep any of them.

Alison12345's picture

Thanks for the comments. I see I'm not alone in this. It's SO wrong not to make the child help out with the household chores no matter how much time they spend in our homes.

Not only does it make for a lazy person who doesn't learn the value of a job well done but it also causes resentment between all the kids in the house since there's no teamwork.

An update on the floor sweeping; it's been almost two months now of my step-son sweeping the floor and it STILL takes him 2 to 3 hours to cover this small area and he STILL complains the WHOLE time while his father repeatedly 'shows' him how to do it over and over again by sweeping FOR him!

Funny thing; last week I walked out the door to pick up my step-daughter just as my step-son finally grabbed the broom to sweep (after a 1/2 hour of getting him going) and when I got back 20 minutes later, he was finished and the floor was spotless. I wonder how he did it that fast....? Ahhhh....Dad, I'm thinking.

I didn't say anything but this week I told him, "I'm so excited! I can't WAIT to see you do such a good, fast job of sweeping!" His dad was quick to stutter out "Well, it was less dirty last week; might take a little longer this week". "Hmmm, yes" I said, "Maybe an extra 10 minutes or so..." LOL