You are here

Help/advice needed desperately

EERG's picture

Hello everyone. I am new here, please bear with me. My story is long and I am going to try to make it as brief as possible. I need advice desperately. I think I am going to lose my mind.

About me - been married for seven years this coming spring 2017. I met my husband in high school and we reconnected many years later. My husband has a 12 year old son, my SS. We have a five year old daughter together. Both of us have been married before. I did not have any children with my previous husband.

Background - my SS was diagnosed with Aspberger's Syndrome (now "on the spectrum") when he was around five years old. He also suffers from a severe untreated mood disorder (BM will not allow treatment), ADD, depression, and defiance disorder (can't think of proper name at moment). BM is bipolar and suffers with addictions and a long list of other emotional issues. It is a very sad situation for all. DH and BM were married several years and divorced when SS was an infant. I came into the picture when SS was around 4 years old.

When we were first married, I noticed SS was becoming increasingly rude, defiant, etc. at home. He was starting to have troubles at school with talking back to the teacher, being rude, fighting other kids, etc. In his very early elementary years, many of these behaviors were "swept under the rug" as his grandma was the secretary of the school. I understand why she tried to protect SS but it delayed him getting help. SS was always branded a "genius" and anytime he acted out, whether it be what he said or behavior towards others, it was always blamed upon his "gifts." I was told to back off correcting SS by my husband and I did. To save sanity I did have, I disengaged. BM was rarely involved except to complain periodically when she had BM for her time. We had SS full time with BM getting him around 1-2 days a MONTH. She was supposed to have him every weekend but rarely took him consistently. Sometimes she would stand him up. It is very sad.

In third grade, SS started having even more troubles at school...more of the same - defiance, aggression, fighting. Much of this still blamed on his genius status, that he was bored, etc. SS's grandma had retired at this point so there was no one there to "fix" issues. A new principal was in place as well who wasn't willing to back down (God bless him). We moved after third grade to another part of town and SS started 4th grade at a new school. SS had SEVERE issues at this school (an excellent school). DH had daily calls from the principal, had to deal with multiple suspensions, etc. After school was a nightmare as SS would have problems with his mood disorder and become violent at times. Many nights I spent locked in our bedroom with our daughter as DH would deal with the rampage. My life didn't exist back then. I dreaded going home. I dreaded the weekends. My husband was on edge 24/7. SS even said to my face I was the problem and that he would win, meaning he would break up our marriage. I am afraid we are close to this.

Last February, my SS came home in a violent mood. He was throwing chairs and punching walls in our home. SS had some issues at school that day and had his electronics taken from him (electronics are his obsession as part of being on the spectrum). SS also has issues with being a pathological liar - this is no exaggeration. He accused the principal of throwing him on the floor and beating him up. This of course was not true as there were multiple witnesses there that day of the event. Long story short, SS told his mom that night that DH shoved him down the stairs and he was hurt. She believed him and called the police. This was a complete LIE. I came home to the scariest night of my life with police cars and an ambulance in front of my home. I was not allowed to go in while police questioned my husband and checked on SS. My husband was within seconds of being arrested. SS finally backed down and said he "fell" down the stairs - which did not happen either. EMS inspected SS for any bruises or injuries and found nothing. Believe me, I would not be married to a man who would harm his kids or me. I would have been gone a long time ago.

After all this happened last year, SS started living with his mom in another city approximately 45 minutes away. He started a new school in a new school system. He and his mom lived a "happy" life for a while, blaming issues on everyone else. Everything was in a honeymoon period for a while. BM parenting style is basically to let SS do what he wants, stay up late, etc. However, I knew this would be temporary and told my DH so. He never believes me of course. SS and BM are now having the same issues. SS even called the police on BM last night - isn't that familiar? DH believes him of course.

Bottom line: I am scared of my stepson. I am scared of him being around our five year old daughter. I am afraid of being alone with SS. I am afraid of my husband going to jail for something he did not do. I am afraid of being accused of something I did not do. SS is coming back to live with us full time with no visits with his mom for a long time. My life ahead with this child in our home is bleak.

Please understand, I feel for this child. He is in desperate need of help. I believe he needs overnight help somewhere and a different regimen of medications. My husband doesn't seem to get it that the problems are so severe. SS has been in care of multiple therapists and is on medication for depression. However, BM has never agreed to more. Over the course of last year, she switched therapists multiple times. I want SS to get help. I want him to be a productive and happy child. I have tried to state my opinion many many times and am always ignored. It is clear that SS is constantly rewarded for his behavior. I realize my DH is in a terrible situation. However, I am at the end of my rope. I cannot go back to the life we had. And, it will be worse...the way DH handles things when SS visits now is to basically let him do whatever he wants. I am close to leaving even though I do love my husband. I just cannot live this life anymore.

There is so much more to this story...I'm trying to keep it brief. Advice? Thank you!

ChiefGrownup's picture

First of all, I have a bit of difficulty with the Asperger's dx. My ss is autistic. "Pathological liar" does not fit in with any spot on the spectrum that we know of. Quite the opposite, these kids are rigidly truthful.

This kid not only needs help, he needs residential help. Yes, at his age. He needs proper diagnoses and proper care.

His parents are never going to do that for him. As he gets bigger and scarier the trouble will get bigger and scarier. The courts will at some point bypass the parents and skid will have to learn a few lessons in custody. Whether the courts get him some mental health is an open question. Usually not likely but does seem likelier than his own parents doing so.

One person who cannot get it done is the stepmother. Everybody here knows that and you know it, too.

You love your husband. Ok. We all know how that feels and how hard the next steps are. But who is going to love you? DH is stuck in a cycle of dysfunction and denial that leaves him no room to attend to your needs, primarily to live in a safe home. What need could trump that? None and he is failing at it.

Go see a lawyer. Find out how you can get a custody order to protect your little girl from ever having to spend time with her brother, unless it's possibly for an hour here and there at a supervised court facility. What you want to avoid is dad having 50/50 custody with this boy there. Or even a weekend. Or any time with the boy present and no supervisor but Dad.

Once you get your options figured out and your Game Plan set, go all Katie Holmes on him. Surgically remove yourself and little girl. Let him communicate through your lawyer. If you want, you can agree to marriage counseling, AFTER you have moved out and little girl is safe. In this counseling you can tell him you love him but you have given years to this situation. You would love for him to fix it. But that is what it is going to take -- residential care for ss so the 3 of you can live in peace.

I would not tell him this alone. Considering how dysfunctional it all is, your dh's reaction may be very unpredictable and you could very well lose the ability to execute your plan.

robin333's picture

I love my DH too but I would leave if he was endangering my DD.

While I acknowledge that DH has a responsibility to SS, I disagree that it should ever compromise your DD's safety. It sounds like he needs residential and a complete new work up and treatment plan. I would be afraid of SS calling the police and potentially having CPS on your doorstep. Why? Because he has been taught by BM and DH that he gets his way when he does this.

EERG's picture

ChiefGrownup, I too have difficulty with the autism diagnosis. I have struggled with it for years but reminded myself I am not trained in that area. Who knows. SS has possibly inherited a laundry list of issues from his BM. I don't say that to sound nasty. Everyone has something they are struggling with or a family member with issues. The entire family on my dad's side struggles with all sorts of mental illness so I am not one to point fingers. However, the biological issues are present here and everyone seems to be ignoring them. The first group that initially diagnosed SS were trying to help but had their hands tied behind their backs. Before the police event last year, DH was close to taking BM to court to get SS's proper treatment. However, he seemed to settle down for a while with BM, have some short term success at school and at home. DH had come to the conclusion that perhaps her home was indeed a better place for SS. I knew it wasn't but I also knew the h*&l it would be with SS in our home too.

Of course, when SS is over at our home right now, he is angelic (sarcasm). DH thinks he can handle him now. Once SS moves back in full time, I predict a few weeks of everything being great. Then, it will be something small like asking SS to do his homework or take a bath...which will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Can you imagine how great it is going to be to yank him from his current school in the middle of the year to begin a new one?

I struggle with my feelings for SS. I recognize a VERY ill young man who is in desperate need of help. It is just VERY difficult to want a relationship of some sort with him. He is manipulative. On top of the lies and behaviour, he is very skilled with his words. He knows how to cut to the core and is doing this to his mom right now.

ChiefGrownup and LadyFace, you are both dead on in your advice. My counselor has said similar statements in the past. I can't believe my life has come to this. On top of everything, my father passed away recently. He was my rock. I am grieving in addition to this situation.

EERG's picture

Robin33 - "I would be afraid of SS calling the police and potentially having CPS on your doorstep. Why? Because he has been taught by BM and DH that he gets his way when he does this." YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for stating this.

My husband has been investigated by CPS due to the situation last year. BM is under investigation right now. My understanding is that he got in her face, used curse words, and shoved her. She in return slapped him in his face. He told school. They called CPS on her. Last night, there was some altercation and police were called. I'm not clear on the specifics yet. Unreal.

robin333's picture

My concern is that SS tells lies and YOU are investigated and potentially lose your DD. Ss's wys have worked thus far.

clark6292's picture

Your SS sounds like a ticking time bomb thanks to both DH and BM, and failed/inconsistent intervention. Both DH and BM blame each other for SS behavior, feed into SS manipulations, and avoid true medical and psychiatric help SS needs. You may be the only sane one in this picture, and you have the right to be scared and take action. You may not be able to solve your SS problems, but you can influence how SS behavior negatively impacts your daughter and yourself. I see no reason to subject your innocent daughter to violence. I think you should separate and let DH focus on getting help for SS. When it is safe, after SS is controlled with proper meds you can always try to live together under one roof. Do you have a family member you and your daughter can live with? I know it hurts, but from the start you knew there were issues with BM and SS. You married into this hornets nest and your first obligation now is to your innocent daughter. Blessings to all of you

EERG's picture

I knew SS had issues, but thought they were more along the lines of autism, etc. At that point, I didn't expect the violence. We dated for a while and I tread carefully before getting married.

My daughter and I do have a place to go. Problem is, the house does belong to both my husband and me. However, the loan is in my name. Therefore, I cannot let this situation destruct me financially. However, my daughter's safety is a priority.

SS has not moved back yet...it isn't a done deal but the writing is on the wall.

clark6292's picture

Time to have a REAL conversation with your DH and put safety measures in place BEFORE SS is back under your roof. I encourage open dialogue, be completely honest (beating around the bush will not work now!) and protect your baby above all else (even your finances.) Personally I would be pushing for inpatient treatment and dual diagnosis program for SS. No matter the cost. Keep us posted!