You are here

Help - Son left because of argument with my new partner

Fairlakes's picture

Very long story, will try and keep it short and to the point.

We have been a blended family for 4 years. We have 4 teenagers. One is my 16 year old son. He hates rules and can be somewhat defiant. His biological mother has no rules at her house and basically lives like a hoarder. She is on long term disability, does not work and caters to him all the time.

On the other hand, my new partner has a tough love attitude and is very strict and short tempered. So, since I am much more relaxed, she finds that I do not parent enough and let my son get away with things. He and my new partner have had words once before, she's said things that were very hurtful to him (on several occasions), he wound up leaving and not coming back for a few months. It just happened again!!! He's left, and does not seem to be coming back. He ignores my calls and text messages.

Not sure what to do, I hate my ex for enabling him, I resent my new partner, am mad at my son for abandoning me and lastly mad at myself for not dealing with this earlier. This is such a balancing act, my ex has no rules, we have tons. My ex enables his behavior, so i don't stand a chance. To compound matters, if he stays their for a couple of weeks, my ex sends me an e-mail asking how I will support him while he's living with her. So its obvious, she wants child support again, which means that I will have to sell our home and relocate the other 3 kids. If that happens, my partner and I will probably split up. This is not about the money, but it is a fact that cannot be ignored.

Stressful to say the least. What should I do, any advice????

Fairlakes's picture

Absolutely I am mad at myself as well!!

The issue that my partner raised was that he did not put his cereal bowl in the dishwasher,. He replied you 2 f... annoy me all the time. I had to leave for Toronto to pick my daughter up so I could not handle the situation right away. So here I am.

I appreciate your comment, but do you have any advice on what to do next?? My ex and I are on completely different pages!!

simply_monica's picture

First, this is to be expected. He had no rules or boundaries so obviously he will resist.

Your new partner is wrong for taking on any disciplinary role, that is yours not hers. She is the adult and should never say anything to hurt the kid's emotion, self esteem, or well being.

What to do now? Give him the space he needs. Remind him that although he can run to mom for leniency and pity, he will always have a place with you. Even if he doesn't respond. Let him know where his home is. I honestly think the three of you need to sit down and discuss core issues. Be fair, you new partner CANNOT be cruel to your child just because she doesn't agree on how he was raised.

IslandGal's picture

Nailed it Echo!! I-m so happy Right here is EXACTLY what it is!! I-m so happy

Quit your griping, man the fuck up and parent your Son!! If you had done this from the goddamn beginning, none of this shit would've been happening right now. Quit blaming your ex-wife or your current wife - all this is on YOU to fix.

And don't think that chasing after your Son like some love sick puppy is gonna get him to respect you - oh hell no. Believe it or not - your son wants you to be a parent - not his best mate.

momof3vt's picture

I know exactly where you are coming from and agree with simply_monica 100%. I am both a BM and SM. My DH and I have had a blended family for eight years with my BD18, his DD16 and our BD6. Everything was great until my oldest became a teenager. Very long story here as well so I won't get into details but this is the basics. She got mad at my husband for discipling her all the time. I would constantly tell him to let me handle it. She got fed up and left to live with her dad. I was quite hurt and would cry myself to sleep at night. I would text her every day just to say hi and that I loved her; nothing big. Just letting her know I was there. Essentially I gave her space. I felt very torn and felt like I was going to be forced to choose between my daughter and my husband. Noone should have that kind of power. Well, things are starting to turn around. This past weekend she asked me to go shopping with her for her graduation. Tonight she had dinner at my house with her grandparents. Her DD and SM came over so we could celebrate her birthday. My husband came home in time for the birthday festivities. She was actually quite civil to him and even thanked him for her gift. I am also fortunate that my ex and I get along and he doesn't put up with her shit either. At least in my case, time is starting to heal all wounds. I know it also helped that she spoke with our pastor a few times on her own to help her sort stuff out.
While it sounds like your son provoked your wife, unless safety is an issue, stepparents really need to stay away from the discipline area. That's where a lot of problems start. Like I said, I am also a SM and it is hard to bite my tongue sometimes but I do, and we are all the better for it.

oldone's picture

You have a worthless POS son. Sorry to be so blunt. But I guess you already know that. Good luck - you are so going to need it.

He'll be in jail eventually.

oldone's picture

Not having a dad is no excuse for being a worthless POS.

Lots of kids don't have dads. My own father was abandoned by his dad, his mother tried to drown him (and the other kids) he grew up in a poor house (1920s Appalachia). He was NEVER like this creep.

I despise bad parenting but it is not an excuse for becoming a total asshole.

Fairlakes's picture

hmmm..

I need to respond to echo.

I need 4 hours to get to Toronto, I left myself 3:45 minutes. Had to speed to get to my daughter who was at a competitive elite athlete camp. Only 15 girls there, coaches are not baby sitters?.

I have been there for my son forever, tried to teach him right from wrong, supported him in school and sports. Provided him with all material he needs (clothes, equipment, chores so he can make money, help with homework, respect elders and so on....).

Issue is that I am not as strict as SM. I can't control SM and prevent all issues from arising. It's hard when my son goes to biological mom's house with with no rules, (ie, throw coat on the floor, leave dishes everywhere, never eat with his mom, sleep in the basement, no bedtime, no chores, etc....) and then to my house with all the rules. I make him clean his room, give him chores, make him pickup after himself, make him help me with diner, etc...). here's another issue, his mother has not followed through with his ortho appts. I just found out that he's missed the last 7 months!!! Ortho will only deal with me now and refuses to deal with his mother (she never returned ortho's calls or e-mails). Now she says take braces off, even though treatment is not finished. I needed to paint that picture a little clearer.

I know that I was not strict enough, I was afraid that he would leave and not come back. Easier at mom's house with no rules and expectations, free for all vs my house with rules and boundaries. I can't compete with that.

My lack of "parenting" to the level off my partner's strictness may have cost me. I just not sure how to handle it now. Probably as stated above, give him space and hope for the best?? Any other suggestions???

My partner and I are going to counselling this week. Then my 16 year old daughter will join (hopefully my son as well). Lastly the other 2 teens may come in too.

grow-a-nut's picture

I never post but I have to say one thing to you. You WILL lose your wife. SHE will cross the bridge of "enough" and never look back. I know this because I am that woman. My husband was afraid of his kid. Afraid she wouldn't love him anymore. She put me through hell for the last 2 years of our marriage. And he did nothing. Said he didn't know what to do about it which translated into "I won't do a damn thing because precious princess might not love me anymore." He is a wimp and so are you. After he allowed and encouraged (If you allow it you encourage it) the disrespect one last time, I made a plan and I left. Screw him and all the wimps out there. Screw men and their kids too. I am 47 and am sickened by men with kids.

If you TRULY love your partner, you will do whatever it takes to make her your priority. Your kids is a man. Stop being his friend and grow a nut and friggin parent him before it's too late.

SebringLad's picture

Sorry about your pain but you hit the nail on the head.Good call and if I was ever to do this again it would be with a woman with "no kids",nada !!!!!

emotionaly beat up's picture

She asked him to put his cereal bowl in the dishwasher, fair enough. His response, you 2 f...annoy me all the time. And after he spoke like that you decided to up and go pick up your daughter. You on the way out the door did not even have time to say to your son, who do you think your talking to like that, I'll deal with this when I get back. You had time all right, and had you said those few words your wife wouldn't have had to. But then again, you are scared of him aren't you. He might stop talking to you or go running off to mummy again, so you do nothing, well nothing except give your son all the power to emotionally blackmail you. Your son is not to blame for your failure as a parent to discipline him and teach him basic manners, your wife is not to blame for your failure to support her and for your complete lack of respect for her in allowing your son to speak like that and not say one word to him. YOU caused all of this to happen because you did not take the responsibility of raising your son to be an independent well mannered young man because it was too hard. Yes I know his mum has no boundaries, I noticed you threw some blame her way too. Well it doesn't matter what goes on in her house, your supposed to tell your son, what behaviour is or is not acceptable in YOUR house. But you ran away from the responsibility, and now you are going to runaway from this relationship because your ex now wants child support. If you want to fix this, really want to fix this, man up. Tell your wife your sorry YOU LET it come to this and hope she forgives you, tell your son if he doesn't come home today and tow the line, then he can stay with his mother for good, you are not running a half way house for him to keep running backwards and forwards disrupting everyone's lives. Then stick to it and pay child support. Other people manage to do that without splitting up. By the way the splitting up thing has me intrigued. If you cannot afford to pay your ex child support for your son, how are you going to pay your current partner that you wantt to split with child support for THREE children.

EyesOfaStranger's picture

"I know that I was not strict enough, I was afraid that he would leave and not come back."---- it's called guilty parenting. Never ends well.
Echo is completely right.
You're poor wife. Prob feels extremely guilty, like its her fault he left. And here you are resenting her. Start there by letting her know YOU have been wrong. And YOU should have been parenting him better. She needs your support. If you don't be careful in this situation you will loose her also.
Send that text--- "I love you. I will always love you. You cannot disrespect my wife in my home EVER again. If you feel you cannot live with that, then that's your choice." He's prob going to choose his mom. All you can do is pray that one day he will come around.

Or you could just choose to live with an entitled brat and support his lazy angry butt for the rest of your life-- pretty much alone, without that sweet wife you once had.
I'm not tryin to be hard on you... At least you admit you were wrong too. But please stop resenting your wife. It's not her fault! She needs you as well as you need her right now. Be together and be strong. Unity in front of the kids. Always!

His wife might feel guilty, then again she might feel 100% relieved to see the back of the over indulged little brat. I am sure this is not the one and only time this crap has happened, and it's not the one and only time the father chose to ignore it.

His wife is too strict, his ex is too slack, and what is he. Too scared. Seems like the only proper parenting this kid was getting was from this man's current wife and he is resentful and mad towards her. She is more than likely fed up to the back teeth with Disney dad and his son. She has 4 kids and a husband who is too scared to pull his son into line. He's hardly giving her a good life is he. And he's mad. The cereal bowl was not the problem, just the latest in a long line of problems.

Fairlakes's picture

I guess I need to clarify again, I did not leave for Toronto immediately, I spent 45 minutes talking to both my son and my partner. My son about his unacceptable behavior and my partner to calm her down because she was about to escalate the argument. I drove my son to his mothers to make sure the situation did not escalate while I was away for 10 hours.

Another clarification/question: He was raised by his biological mother during his formative years, it took me 6 years of court battles to be granted shared custody, actually, I almost got sole custody. Still, I know that I need to be stricter with him.

My concern is that it is better to live in our home with structure than to live with his mother with no rules. So how is it in his best interest to go live there??? In 2 years, his mother is kicking both my kids out of the house, she has stated that she will send kids off to university with no financial help. They'll be in university, they can find loans, get 3 jobs and make it on their own. So he will come knocking on my door, but he'll have lived another 2 years with no boundaries or structure. How is that good for him???

As for child support, we are a blended family, if we split, my partner leaves with her kids and I leave with mine. Our agreement was signed 2 years ago. No support will be sought. Its not about the money,but it is reality. Child support would cost me roughly $160,000 before taxes over the next 6 six years. I just can't afford that.

Its a delicate balance between being in charge, keeping him in a structured environment, keeping everyone's sanity and affording the home.

I am not making excuses, I just need to get him back so he has a structured environment.

Fairlakes's picture

I have to admit, emotionally beat up sums it up pretty good, my wife is too strict, my ex is too slack and I am too scared.

I am resentful of my partner because I was not in the kitchen when this happened, I never got a chance to react to it. My son and I were already having a separate issue when this happened, I simply question my partners intuition, since she knew that emotions were already running high. I am mad at my son because he keeps running away from issues, not facing them. I am mad at my ex for allowing this type of behavior, her lack of parenting and her enabling my son's behavior and I am mostly frustrated and mad at myself for not knowing what to do and making mistakes trying to keep peace and balance. I feel like I am in the middle with no control over the situation. My daughter who tows the line does not like my partner either and has no respect for things that she has said to her. So i am also trying to limit collateral damage!!

The more I read and write here the more I get concerned of how this will turn out. I don't want to be forced to chose.

realitycheckmom's picture

I didn't get to see all the posts but have you considered family counseling with everyone (all the kids). To me it sounds like your wife is pushing your son out. Does she have the same issues with your daughter?

IslandGal's picture

Ahh geez.. you've just said the whole darned thing perfectly Dtzy!!!

Hey Op - I were you - I'd listen to this lady - she knows what she's on about!

Anon2009's picture

Folks, are we being crewed here? This guy seems awfully similar to Tom, a biodad with head-in-the-sand parenting...

realitycheckmom's picture

Where did Tom go?? Perhaps they are all the same person? CH101 - Crew Hits 101???

Lalena75's picture

I don't know I moved out forever over taking the trash to the curb (SM woke me up wanted me to to do it now, I wanted to do it on my way to school in the morning) it went from that to me telling my dad to tell "his wife" to stay out of my face and keep her hands off my things, and I'm packing.
I did was gone in an hour and never went back.(I was 18 worked full time and going to college, paid for my food, phone line, insurance and rent)
As for if he ends up at BM's for the next 2 years then gets booted there and wants daddy to kiss his homeless ass do what mine did, "you made your bed lie in it" and I did I've been self supporting even when starving, and believe me working fast food was breakfast lunch and dinner, ramen was a treat. they will sink or swim you don't have to hold their hands, in fact I really think it's better if you stop saving children from their choices early on. Natural consequences kinda teach you good lessons.

And that Lalena 75 is the root of this entire problem. Dad is trying to save this kid from making mistakes and if the kid manages to make those mistakes anyway dad is ready with the excuses for him. The boy has lived his entire life on and off with the influence of BM. Well past his formative years. The kid knows the score, two more years living with her is not going to make him any worse than he is now. But if dad lets him suffer the consequences of making the choice to live with bio mum, then the boy might actually have a chance of becoming a man. Mum has told the boy at 18 your own your own. You pay your own way. Now dad just has to let that happen, he has to tell his son if he chooses to stay with mum then the consequences will be pay your own way, uni, car, phone whatever at 18. Or dad can be the number 1 sucker the boy knows he is, and allow this boy to live footloose and fancy free with mum for two years, then just get dad to fork over the cash. Dad will do it, I know it, dad knows it, but worst of all, the boy knows it. This kid is playing dad, and dad is by his failure to let the boy fall, encouraging it.

bearcub25's picture

Maybe it would be better for you to live on your own with your own kids and then maybe you would parent them yourself. $160,000 CS for 1 kid and DD goes to an elite camp. Sounds like you can afford military or boarding school for the boy.

sounds like my DSO. He is scared shitless to have to live all by himself and raise his own kids even though that would have been the best thing for all of his kids.

DarkStar's picture

I was in that same situation!
With me being the strict SM......disneyDad for SO and absent BM to make it all one big dysfunctional sandwich. After 3 years SO decided that coddling and spoiling his kids meant more to him than I did, so out the door I went! I admitted my mistakes and where I was too strict and did some disengaging and stepping back to let SO parent, but it didn't matter in the end.
At least Fairlakes is recognizing what he is doing and seems genuine about wanting to fix it.....you could smack SO in the face with it and he will not admit in a million years that anything is amiss with his parenting skills.

P.S
Lay off that troll crap. We don't get a lot of male posters on this site and we don't need catty comments driving newbies away.

Dark star, I hope he is recognising it. Really recognising it. My concerns are, his sons reaction to conflict is to run away, something his father admits to and says he doesn't like. Yet the father himself is talking about running away when he says if the son doesn't come back he will have to pay child support therefore get a smaller place and split from his partner. That's running away. I also note he says he blames himself, but he blames his wife for this. He blames his son for this, he blames his ex for this. He feels the victim in this, the meat in the sandwich, caught in the middle. The sooner he realises that he is not a victim, that he is the one who put himself in the middle because he was too scared to take a firm hand with his son because the son might get mad at him, might not like him, or run home to mummy, leaving daddy to pay child support the better for all concerned.

He seems to have an answer for everything. That bothers me. At first he said he couldn't deal with the cereal bowl issue because he had to rush off to collect his daughter. When a couple of us said he needed to stop and take the time he came back with it was a four hour drive and he had left himself 3 hrs and 45 minutes to get there so ge had to speed. When I said he should have acknowledged his sons language and as he was flying out the door and said to his son, he would deal with this when he got back, he responded with he had spoken to his wife and son before he left for around 45 minutes and even drove his son to bms house. Something is not tying together. So does he get it, I don't know to be honest.

Struggling stepmum's picture

Is your wife too strict? Or are you looking to share the shoulder of blame? Your wife made a request, she didn't punish him or hurt him in any way. And I don't agree about children following our rules. In my home I do the majority of cleaning so therefore I enforce the rules not adhere to them. Having a similar wet blanket for a husband I thoroughly empathise with your wife. My husband is terrified of losing his daughter, not going to happen, he has more money than BM. Message to your wife. Disengage from your husbands son. Enjoy your marriage and leave the bowl exactly where he left it. For as long as it takes for your husband (who probably loves you) to stop grow a pair and treat you with the care and respect you deserve. Hubby make some rules you can both live with and disagree in private. If you value your marriage that is. I know this is an old post but I hope you read this. I am in the same position as your wife and I am soon to start my new life. Not because I don't love my husband but because I don't respect him anymore. Sorry if I sound harsh. But second marriages are just not given the time and effort to maintain them. Hope by now you have resolved things