You are here

DH wants to take my mannerless SS3 everywhere we go!!

stepmom2010's picture

So DH has 50/50 custody. Whenever we plan a to go out somewhere DH tells me "Oh, lets take Adam with us, let me ask his mom." In my head I always say "AH shit!!"..luckily BM only allows it when she wants. DH and I were planning to go out of town on the day he has off which is next Tuesday. Later that day SS is supposed to come also. I already told DH that we'll go out of town and be back by 6 pm (which is the time DH has to pick SS up). As my day goes by, DH texts me and tells me " I'll ask BM if I can pick up Adam earlier and we all can go together" Then my mood just went off about the whole out of town thing. I'd rather just go alone with my 3 month old son. I have a reason not wanting SS to go with us, its because we took him somewhere out one time and DH was running after SS. yah he's a toddler, but if that was my kid, i would have strapped him down in a stroller!!! yah so while both were running around, I was with my 3 month old son trying to catch up to them. That was the last time I wanted to go somewhere with SS. Now whenever I tell DH that I don't want SS to go with us, he treats me like i asked him to go kill someone! And on top of that, when we do go out with SS, DH starts complaining to me that "I wish Adam was here..etc etc" I'm like, can u stop thinking about ur son just once and have a good time!!!! When SS is here, I usually want to ignore him because he is the most disrespectful kid! he hits me, he yells at me, he spits at me, he puts his toys in every corner of the house and doesn't clean up when asked to, he eats like a slob, he licks the dinner table after he's done eating, he coughs all over my baby's face. When I tell him from right and wrong DH steps in and tells ME that I need to calm down! His father obviously doesn't care if he disrespectful. Even my sister-in-law thinks he gets too much attention just because of his situation...there's other kids that go through divorce and custody and they still have some manners! SOMEONE TEACH THIS KID SOME MANNERS!

stepmom2010's picture

I bought a child harness a long time ago, DH thinks its inappropriate to strap a kid down, he thinks kids should be free to run around everywhere and explore. yah if I tell him he's mean, his father is going to give me a look like "WTF u thinking when u said that!!!" lol.
he is a trainable kid, but when his father stops me from training him, that just pisses me even more off...so i let him be and let his father take care of him

Drac0's picture

Child harness?

I was thinking something more along the lines of shock collar.

My BS is 4 and I never let him get away with any of that sh*t!

Spitting? Hitting?

No way!

RedWingsFan's picture

I'm with you Drac0! If SD14 ever pulled that kind of shit, I'd take a cattle prod to her ass.

Shaman29's picture

Why not simply tell your DH that you do not want to go to public places with SS3, until DH teaches him appropriate behavior? Why is this so hard for him to recognize and do?

Put it on your DH. It's not normal for adults to chase toddler around public spaces. My parents didn't require harnesses or strollers (if we were capable of walking) when out in public. We were told how to behave and if we didn't, we went home. And god help the kid that ruined it for the others.

We also weren't allowed in restaurants until we understood the rules. Good table manners, please, thank you and no thank you and ordering off of the kids menu. No exceptions.

My parents raised us the same way you raise dogs (except for eating and drinking out of bowls on the floor and using the yard as our latrine), they were the alphas. They were in charge. We were not. When we were good, they brought us dead things to play with (kidding but I'm still using my dog analogy) and when we were bad, they nipped our butts.

I honestly don't get why this is so difficult for so many people to understand these days (hello DH??). I was raised with rules and boundaries and I didn't turn out to be a serial killer (that you know of). My parents were in charge, we didn't interrupt them without getting in trouble, if we broke the rules, we were punished. We helped clean, do laundry, cook and work in the yard. In return we received clothes, food, shelter and when there was extra money....fun things to do. My parents looked out for us. Despite the chores, I had a lot of free time. I was encouraged to do well in school and got my butt kicked when I tried to play sick and stay home.

And god help me if I ever caused a scene in public (such as ran around to the point where my parents had to chase me down). That was a beating offense.

Shaman29's picture

I'll never forget the year I had made out of town plans with DH over Mother's Day weekend. See....his CO states the child will be with the mother for the entire weekend. It's the one weekend during the year where I'm assured his kid will NOT be around.

I had the whole weekend planned and scheduled. What happened? Uberskank called him and said she made other plans for the weekend and he HAD to take his kid. The other dads were taking their kids and he was taking his as well.

I said...WE had PLANS for this weekend. Plan we made over a month ago. The room is book, dinners are booked, activities are booked.

We have to take her........how can I say no when even her own mother doesn't want her on mother's day?

I said....DH....if you tell Uberskank yes, I will never forgive you. This weekend was about us and Uberskank making other plans IS. NOT. MY. PROBLEM. NOR. IS. IT. YOURS.

I never forgave him. Turns out, her little sisters were with Uberskank. His kid just was being a brat. Knew about our plans and didn't want to go with Uberskank and her sisters.

He told me after the fact that he should have listened to me. I told him he ruined my weekend and that he was a dick for doing so.

RedWingsFan's picture

Wow Shaman - I can't believe he did that to you. And I never would've forgiven him either. So sorry! :jawdrop:

stepmom2010's picture

wow, lots of women go through Skids shit. I'm glad im not the only one having anger. Yah when DH comes home after work today, I'll make it clear to him that I'll go alone, I don't need to drag other people around. I can have fun on my own lol. Now we're thinking of taking a vacation in one of the states. DH has to ask BM if he could take him for a week. I hope God she says no! I want to go alone with only me, DH and my baby. DH thinks taking care of a 3 month old is harder than taking care of a toddler who doesn't listen. In my opinion my baby just needs to be fed, change diaper, and sleep. what else????? my baby isn't the fussy type (thank god). I feel guilty sometimes about SS but his father makes me feel that way....

RedWingsFan's picture

We took Stepdevil14 on a camping trip to the sand dunes 2 summers ago. That's the LAST time I ever went anywhere long distance with her again. She was horrible. The entire time. Whiny, crybaby, bullshit. Ruined the entire weekend for DH, me and my DD.

RedWingsFan's picture

No, because HE got tired of constantly having to take SD aside and tell her to knock her shit off!

Drac0's picture

This is gonna sound dumb but have you explicitly stated that this is a "Date Night" (or rather, "date weekend"). Because if you don't some of us guys just naturally assume that any and all outings are family outings by default.

stepmom2010's picture

Yah it's kind of like a date night. Just spend my day with dh and my baby, then dh can spend his night with ss (after 6pm since that's what the schedule is set as)... I wish I had a weekend alone with dh though Sad

fedup13's picture

I feel for you!! I dealt with similar issues before I disengaged. It just really blows. You have to stand up for yourself. I held it all in for WAY too long and it was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. My husband's brat was an absolute terror from 3 on, and I quietly allowed myself to be subjected to it for almost 2 years out of fear of upsetting my DH, causing a rift, etc., but after going thru more Hell than most can even fathom, I had to disengage. I had to speak up. I had to tell the truth and become assertive. These DH's are just blind, denying, delusional, guilt ridden, idiots. All the wah,wah,wah, boo hoo bullshit over skid ALL. THE. DAMN. TIME. GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! Nothing makes me madder or more disgusted. DH used to try and force skid on me all the time and I allowed it. Not anymore. I go nowhere with him, I do nothing for him, I do not interact with him or his bitch mother, I do not pick him up, I do not do ANYTHING. I want nothing to do with him. I do not want him around. I do not like him. I do not miss him. I do not want him anywhere near me. Once I finally started asserting myself and taking my life back, I felt so free. DH is still an idiot, but I at least am out of the loop for the most part with his mistakes.

stepmom2010's picture

yah, i'm afraid of opening up to DH because I'm afraid he might get hurt. I did make some comments about SS in the past that DH didn't like. He told me to my face that he was disappointed I said something like that..and today when SS was over, SS was putting his tongue in my baby's mouth! DH and I were sitting next to SS. I thought SS came to kiss my baby but then when I saw his nasty tongue in my baby's mouth, as a natural reaction I pushed him away. DH looked at me in anger and told me to relax! LOL! Relax that ur son is putting his shit in my baby's mouth?!?!? I just kept quiet.I hope I can come out of that shell like u.

TASHA1983's picture

"I go nowhere with him, I do nothing for him, I do not interact with him or his bitch mother, I do not pick him up, I do not do ANYTHING. I want nothing to do with him. I do not want him around. I do not like him. I do not miss him. I do not want him anywhere near me."

^^^PREACH IT SISTER^^^

Lumidare's picture

I so feel your frustration. My husband was the same way (though not anymore, the blinders have been blasted away). He never wanted to vacation anywhere unless SS was with us, otherwise he felt guilty and SS would cry and whine about not coming along when DH would tell him about our trip. My SS was mannerless when he was 4 and remains so at 15. I was fortunate--he lived with his mom several states away from us until just this year, so I only had to deal with him in the summer (which was pure hell every year). My DH was Disney Dad personified, and SS was an ingrate shit starter from the beginning. I made a genuine final effort with him when he moved in with us, but after he started all his bullshit again, I quit. Like Fedup, I do nothing at all for him or with him if I can manage it and I completely disregard his useless BM. Since life here is soooooo difficult that he has tried to run away three times (trust me--even his therapists agree that we expect the bare minimum from him),it is my sincere hope he will not return here after his summer visit with her; I would not miss him in the slightest. He's a cancer in our house. Of course, she's so useless she doesn't even have a room for him, so he'll be staying at his Grandma's...and that probably kills my pipe dream. But for now, I can dream a little.

SS was in the habit of leaving his shit all over the house too, until some amazingly insightful poster here suggested to pick up the stuff he leaves out and hold it for house duty ransom (or donate it, throw it away, or whatever works for you). If he wants it back, he has to earn it. Not sure if you could do that in your house considering the age of SS and the DH factor, but it has worked wonders for the common areas of the house. Now if we could just figure out a way to reboot his "manners" and hygeine settings completely...ah, but it will never happen. He still takes 30 minute + showers and doesn't use soap or shampoo, and slurps even the most solid of foods.

Also, I'll bet your 3 month old will be easy and well mannered at 3 years--SS at 6 will be even more obnoxious and rude. I know my 3 year old is. Maybe you'll get lucky and the SS's halo will break on your husband's watch and he'll finally appreciate you for being such an amazing tolerant woman Smile