You are here

cant stand SD or her BM

tugofwar's picture

Yay! I get to vent!! Ok my fiancé and I have been together for 2 yrs getting married in 8 months. To begin his ex wife tried extremely hard to break us up and I cant stand the b@+#h. She is always emailing, and calling I mean almost on a daily basis about things that do involve their kid but are not urgent and could all be put in one email at the end of each week. My hubby to be great guy but continues to pay that pos respect when she almost ruined our relationship and we fight about that regularly cause I do not think she deserves ANY respect or consideration after the stunts she has pulled. As for SD, 14 yrs old, she is a liar, has a different bf just about every week and now seeing an 18 year old whom has been arrested for criminal sexual penetration of a minor ya a 13 year old girl, has or had a drug problem and is on probation. Neither Dad or BM think this is ok but neither of them put a real stop to it either dad has finally told her that if she has any further communication with this petifile that she will lose her phone. But it seems like when she is at BM it is ok and she can talk to this 18 year old and even goes for walks down to his house. She has been caught smoking, drinking, smoking weed, performing oral sex, sneaking out of friends house and picked up by cops cause she was with a 20 year old guy that was drunk, high, and had a loaded gun in the car all while at BM's house. The thing is I think both BM and dad are afraid to throw down some real rules on this brat because when she doesn't get her way at one house she wants to go to the others house, so instead they tell her they don't approve but she just says "I know" and keeps on doing it. She is a pain in my ass but I do worry about this kid. I also worry very much cause I have 2 daughters which somewhat look up to her cause she is older and I do not want them following her lousy lead. I have a hard time with disapline in this home cause my kids don't get away with what she does and its not fair that I yell at my kids for something that she did too but don't feel that I can yell at her too. I do take issues to her dad but feel like I am seen to be pointing out all her flaws and he is so much more easy going about it. He is very good to my kids and I think they get spoiled by him too but if there are going to be rules to protect ALL of our kids they need to be for ALL of the kids. My SD can be so hateful with my 5 year old and I do not tolerate it so I get on her case and she goes back to her moms for her visitation and then refuses to come back cause she can't stand my daughter and doesn't wanna be over the same time she is. the thing is both BM and dad cater to her wants when I think that there is a schedule for a reason and we need to stick to it and learn how to live together not run away and have it your way when you don't like something. Sigh.... Any ideas after reading this novel. There are more issues but I will add to it on another post. Thanks

Storm76's picture

Sounds like a nightmare to be honest, but here's my thoughts:

When you feel like you're pointing out flaws in SD, instead start off by saying 'I'm worried that SD might get hurt' or something similar - that way, you're coming from a place of caring (so it can't be turned round on you as picking on her or anything)

As you & your fiance are bringing kids into the blended family, you two probably need to come up with a list of house rules that all will follow in your home - SD is definitely old enough to be included in drawing these up, and depending on the age of your 2, hopefully they can too.

As for discipline - if you have established house rules, then either adult can discipline any of the kids for breaking them (a list of agreed consequences & punishments could be drawn up too)

As for BM - unfortunately you're never going to be able to change her - you could ask your fiance not to tell you about her phonecalls unless it will impact on the families plans, or if it's annoying him too arrange that he won't pick up the phone to her and retrieve any messages later.

Good luck, and keep venting, cos it really does help!

"God never gives us more than we can cope with, I just wish he didn't have such faith in me!"

tugofwar's picture

Thank you for your post. I really like the idea of the house rules and the kids participating in drawing those up. I do try to approach issues with SD in concern rather than pointing the finger. I notice that dad has a hard time sticking to the "consequences" SD seems to almost always talk her way out of it. I have told him I am not about to have my kids following her lead and thinking they can talk their way out of what they have done wrong. I really think that because SD is his only child and he is afraid she will want to go to BM when she gets in trouble here he is WAY too easy on her! The thing I feel I need to say to him next is that he may feel bad being "the mean parent" but he will never be able to forgive himself if he doesn't put a stop to her wreck less behavior, I honestly don't want to see anything bad happen to her (as annoying as she is). I also have a hard time with her getting off the hook when I am so strict with my own daughter whom is just 1 year younger than SD, its really not fair but I will not enable my child to go in that direction regardless of our different parenting styles.

As for the STUPID BM ugh, I wish I could change the way that moran thinks or acts, I don't want to ask him not to tell me about when BM calls I want to be 100% involved in all aspects of our life together. And I think it may leave too much room for misunderstanding if we don't communicate what is happening with the other parents of our children.

I hate it, I never thought that a child of all people could interfere so much with our relationship. I know its touchy when the step parent points the finger at the bio parents kid, it strikes a nerve in me too, but my kids aren't ANYWHERE near as bad as his kid!!
Any other advice would be gladly welcome and thank you again Storm76 for your advice we will look at making the house rules Smile