You are here

Torn between two emotions...

HMonster's picture

First of all it's great to see I'm not the only one with stepparent problems!

So...where to begin...

A little background. I met my SO almost three years ago, july. She is a widow, her partner and the kids' father died from Crohn's disease about 7 months prior. She has four kids, 17m, 11f, 8m, and 4f. Being that i lived about an hour away i came down to see them every weekend, and in the early days things were good. I remember saying to my parents that even though she has four kids she still makes time for me...

Then in November in the course of a conversation about the past she revealed that the last two years of his life she suspected him of having an affair, and things were frosty, and i could feel the level of pure hatred she has towards this other woman, who, to this day, she is forced to see every day as she is the mother of her 8f's best friend in school.

Over xmas SO became very paranoid, saying that this other woman was blocking up her external boiler vent, trying to poison her, etc. It got so bad that SO even threw out all the food, convinced this woman had poisoned it. She was prescribed prozac...over the phone (!).

This pushed her over the edge and she had a mental breakdown, with her paranoia reaching unheard of heights. Example...she thought that just because i kept my old papers in a pinky/purple binder, that meant i KNEW this other woman 4 years ago, and was now colluding with her to drive SO insane. Remember, i lived 60 miles away.

But, with patience and medication it's now mostly under control.

However, the real issue isn't that, it's her parenting.

She will not discipline her children. Any of them. Ever.

Now i may not have any kids, but i have a dog i raised from a puppy, and there are a lot of parallels. Reward good behaviour, punish negative behaviour. The golden principle. I know about consistency..dont issue threats you arent prepared to carry out, kids learn from the parents' behaviour, etc.

A standard day is she takes the kids to school, i pick them up. 11f then sits on the pc watching youtube vids till bedtime. The 8m sits on his xbox 360, in the living room on the family tv playing 18 rated games like GTA V till bedtime. The 4f sits there, watching youtube vids on SO Galaxy S4, till bedtime.

Bedtime is about 11:45pm for ALL of them. I know, i know...

The 17 year old is morbidly obese, about 5ft 9 and 23 stone, sits in room all day on pc. He didnt get any GCSEs, in fact he didnt even take any. He just...stopped going to school, with no consequences at all. He normally goes to sleep around 7am, up at about 6pm.

Those are just some examples...i wont go into everything as itll take too long.

My main problem is ... what do *I* do ?! Not counting the 17m, i believe he's a lost cause, the other three WILL do what i tell them to, and for the most part, SO will let me. So it's a case of "if i want them raised right, i have to do it alone" as no matter what i say, do, demonstrate, etc, SO WILL NOT CHANGE!

So im left thinking "why should *I* do it all, and you not do anything right?"

I have two conflicting feelings:

"The kids need discipline. It's not their fault their mother cant be bothered to set them boundaries"

...and

"Why should *I* be the one doing all the work for HER kids?!"

She will never change, so the 8m will be an absolute violent, stupid, ADHD, chav, and i wont want to be around him, so i know i wont be here in the future, so why bother myself with trying to raise him right?

Sorry for long post....

Aeron's picture

So why are you still there? She doesn't parent, she has some extreme mental problems.... Why would you even consider taking on the responsibilities of being a parent in this situation? It sounds like you already have a cut off date because of the younger boy so you aren't thinking this is a life time commitment, sooooo.... Why draw out the agony?

HMonster's picture

Partly as i have nowhere else to go, and partly because i can see what is going on is SOOO wrong, i feel i have a moral obligation to try to fix it! =/

Glassslipper's picture

Sorry to be such a meanie, but I agree with Aeron. Sad

If I was in your shoes I would have bailed after the paranoid schizophrenic breakdown.

As for your concern about 8m, google mental health issues and inheritance.
Most bipolar and schizophrenic is carried by the mother and handed down to the sons, so that might attribute to your concerns about 8m.

If your sticking around to help raise the family with her and help her through her mental issues, maybe a therapist would be beneficial Smile plus you found this site to be supportive to help you talk about the things you experience.

HMonster's picture

How i see the future:

SS17 will not change, nor will be made to change. He will keep sitting his room, doing nothing, not even going to sign on, getting fatter, probably take to dope, and just be...one of "those".

SD11 will get pregnant around 16, as the mother wont take the time to educate her. SO will take over parenting the baby as she loves babies, and SD11 always has mum do everything for her anyway.

SS8 will fail school, as there are no consequences to not going, and will start drinking, fighting, etc and be in prison by the time he's 18.

SD4, who already weighs more than SD11, will end up as fat as SS17, again will fail school due to no reason to go, and from there...who knows...

Ninji's picture

So pretty much what you are saying is that if you stay with this women, in 10 years you will be complaining about Skids that won't leave the house and how you have to support now only your GF, and her kids but also the Skids kids. AND Skids may have their loser SO's move in too. Hope you have a good job.

Seems like your heart is in the right place, but this isn't your mess. It's not up to you to "save" these kids. Trust me, I thought the same thing in the beginning. It doesn't work.

HMonster's picture

Any time i try to raise the issues, it's always met with "Well ive not had it easy y'know...i hate that woman". No matter how i try to say that what happened before doesnt have to change how you act now...how letting them all stay up till 11:45pm isnt this other womans fault...nothing gets through. She keeps saying she will get councilling, but is always like "It wont change anything y'know" etc etc...

AllySkoo's picture

Dude. You know that untreated syphilis can cause dementia? And her DH was a cheater, god knows what he picked up? I'd get myself tested. Just in case.

momof4AU's picture

Put it this way. If you were to marry this woman and have your own kid with her, is this how you want your kid raised? Also, if you marry this woman, have a kid with her and you get divorced from her....what kind of crazy ex wife do you think she will be? She has serious potential to ruin your life. Think of the future and your own sanity.....get out now. Red flags, red flags EVERYWHERE!!

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

And you could have a happy ending. You could. It is in the realm of possiblity for you to find a REAL partner who can give back. We really want the best for you and trust us. This is not the best. They are going to suck all the decency and compassion out of you.

duplicate

duplicate

Rags's picture

I have to say that with all of that past relationship baggage and current mental health baggage that I would likely be moving on were I you. This is nothing but a life sentence of being taken advantage of and being suspect in the ill mind of your partner.

You are a better man than I taking that on.

Call CPS and get these kids some help. Your SO is poisoning their chance for a decent life and as much as may think you are, in fact you are enabling not helping.

Move on, find a partner without the past relationship baggage or mental health issues.

Make a life for yourself. You can't fix her or her spawn and not having anywhere else to go is just an excuse to not take action for your own benefit.

Man up and move on.

furkidsforme's picture

The fact that you are even with this whack-a-do, let alone the fact that YOU feel some form of obligation to save her and her kids tells me much more about you than it does about her.

Dear Sir, your GF is NOT the only one with mental problems. I daresay you have a fair share of your own.

No normal, well adjusted, mentally and emotionally healthy human would remain in this incredibly toxic and insane situation.

epiphany's picture

I have to say there is probably some truth in this. Insecure and maladjusted people tend to attract likewise.

What was your childhood like? Are you good looking and confident? Strange questions I know, but if you feel you are an insecure person, or lacking in self esteem, then it's clearer why you would feel obliged to stay in such a toxic relationship.

On the plus side, you are not married to this woman and it's not like the kids have any legal attachment to you, so don't feel like you're trapped. Personally, I would never get married no matter who I was with. It's just not worth it. You are all separate individuals and at any point you can choose to go your own way.

I live with my gf and her three children. My gf, however, is a true disciplinarian and fucking scary when she wants to be. She can get those kids to do anything by simply raising her voice. If she were as much of a liberal pushover like I am, it would be chaos and I don't think I'd have stuck around. You need the "bad cop" when there are kids around.