You are here

SD wedding...

Mnmale82's picture

I have been with my wife since Aug 2017 and married Nov 2019. I have 3 children a 14 yo son and boy and girl 10 yo twins. My wife has 1 daughter 24 and 5 sons 19, 16, 15, 14. I get along with all of her sons but her daughter who never has lived with us hates me. My wife's 15 yo son didn't like me initially and lied to his older sister about me. Him and I are good now and have a decent relationship. She still hates me and even though my wife has said things to her, she still hardly talks to me. I have fixed her car, paid for half of the DJ for her wedding prior to my wife and I joining accounts, picked up and purchased things for her wedding. We have spent upwards of 10,000 dollars on this wedding. I have done nothing to deserve her contempt. She has decided that no one under the age of her youngest brother 14 is allowed at the wedding. I have my children the weekend of her wedding so I complained to my wife and now all of my children are allowed to go to the ceremony but my youngest two are not allowed to go to the reception. The wedding is almost 3 hours from home and we need to stay in a hotel. I would be required to take my two youngest to the hotel room for the evening and not participate in the reception or forgo my time that weekend with my kids. I am angry and my wife said that it's her wedding and we need to respect her decision and that it's her daughter and she needs to support her even if she doesn't agree with the decision. I told my wife I would go but I am not happy about it. My wife then stated I don't need to go then, she is mad at me for feeling the way I do. All I hear about is this wedding that I have put money towards and my kids are not welcome. Am I wrong to be angry? Should her daughter made an exception for her step siblings?

simifan's picture

It was purposely made so you couldn't attend. I'd be telling SD to reimburse the money you put forth. 

Kes's picture

The wedding rules were purposely designed to make it difficult for you.  Tell them you want the money back and don't go. 

WwCorgi7's picture

She did it on purpose. That's really ugly of her especially after you financially contributed. I think you should ask for the money back since you and your children are obviously not welcome and then take your kids on a little vacation. If she doesn't want to reimburse you then I would just show up with the kids. Then again I am petty like that. Just play dumb "oh I thought it was directed at your friend's not your direct family" Smile

I think your wife is being awfully inconsiderate. Just because it's your wedding day doesn't mean you can treat people like crap. As a parent I will always support my children but I will not support sh***y behavior. She should be the one to set her straight. It's just two 10 year olds. Assuming they are well behaved, there should be no problem. It's not like you're asking to bring the whole 5th grade class.

Fun story: My husband's cousin did this. She invited over 250 guests to her wedding. A month after she got back the rsvps she sent out a note saying anyone under 15 could not attend. She asked everyone to respect her wishes as it was her wedding day. Guess how many people showed up to the grand ball room? 28.

ESMOD's picture

When did the age limit come up?  Are there other friends and family members with kids that will also be excluded?

I mean, not having children attend weddings is a "thing" that some wedding couples decide on.  Whether they feel that kids will be a distraction.. or whether they feel it will hamper the adult "fun"..   And there is some difference between a 10 year old and 14 year old.  Child vs teen so to speak.  

And when faced with these kinds of situations, a general wedding guest would need to decide whether to attend, miss the event.. get a baby sitter.. switch custody weekends.. etc... but in your position, I can understand being upset.. especially if this age issue came up well after you had contributed money of your own to her party.

So, I might approach it this way.  First, do you believe your two children would be able to attend, behave and need no special accomodations.. would eat the food happily (not require a special kid meal)  and basically be the "seen and not heard" type of child guest?  Would you be willing to do something like compromise and sit with them at dinner and then take them to the hotel after that... letting the "real festivities" drinking and dancing go on after you had left with them?  If you honestly can say that your two kids would behave perfectly and be good guests.. I  might get your wife to lobby for allowing them to stay for the meal and leave after that.  If that is not possible then you have to decide how big of a hill this is for you... Do you want your money back? could you even get it (knowing your wife wouldn't probably want to do that).. Would you just not attend period?  Is there a possibility that you could switch a custody weekend and would you do that so you could attend with your wife? 

In the end, it's a tough situation.. the money is spent and you probably have a better idea of the likelihood of getting any of it from this person.  I would guess about close to zero.  So, that leaves you to think about whether attending is even something you want to do.  I'm not saying that either way is wrong.. certainly reasons for attending and not attending.. your wife likely has her own thoughts as well.  In the end, while your kids may need to spend a night with a sitter.. it's not like you would be giving up all your time with them.. just a few hours.. but I can see the principle of it being hard to get past.

tog redux's picture

This seems an awfully nice approach given that his stepdaughter is being so difficult, despite him helping pay for the wedding. Should he really have to negotiate so he can be there with his kids? Unless his kids are total hellions (which he should be told is the reason), they should not be excluded.  Sometimes there is a right and a wrong in a situation. 

She clearly doesn't like her Stepfather, she's made that clear. This has nothing to do with not wanting kids at her wedding.

OP, I would not give this ungrateful woman one red cent going forward. Separate your finances so that you aren't contributing anything. 

ESMOD's picture

Sometimes we can be right or happy.. that is all.  

It's not just the dynamic between him and his SD.. his wife is also part of this.  Sometimes taking a stand has more blowback in other areas that are unpalatable?  I mean.. if his wife is equally upset that the 10 year olds are being excluded.. and would support taking back any of his financial support.. great... that makes it easy.. but I'm guessing she is trying to keep the peace.. and it is her daughter's wedding.. so maybe she thinks the specialness of that one day trumps a more routine visitation obligation? 

I'm suggesting what may be the least conflict ridden approach.  Certainly, he can (try to) take his ball and go home but that leaves his wife attending solo.. trying to get money back from a person who is unlikely to give it freely.. that may be unrealistic.

I wholly agree that it sucks that he is put in this bind.. and perhaps a bind he didn't realize was part of the picture when he generously allowed joint funds to go to the wedding of someone who doesn't have a great relationship with him.  

tog redux's picture

Seems to me he's done enough sucking it up and playing nice.  People don't get to be jerks just because it's their wedding day.  And his wife doesn't seem to care about his feelings either.  Doesn't seem quite right to advise him to keep eating the sh!t sandwiches his wife and SD are handing him. 

He can tell her the twins are sick and he's staying home with them, if he wants to avoid conflict but not be a doormat.  

Winterglow's picture

Or he can tell his wife that he will go to the wedding and tell anyone who cares to listen how his SD wouldn't bend her rule about kids even for family... despite him footing a large chunk of the wedding bill. That might just motivate her to intervene. 

tog redux's picture

That would work too.  Something other than "compromise yet again so there isn't conflict" seems in order at this point.  If he wasn't at his wit's end with this, he wouldn't be posting here.

advice.only2's picture

I agree with this, it's a tough situation and he's trying to be there for his wfie.  But if this is how SD is going to continue to treat him for future events then OP needs to let his wife know this is the one and only time he will be disrespeted by SD and he won't tolerate it going forward, much as he wouldn't expext his DW to tolerate his children treating her in this manner.  

advice.only2's picture

I would stop being so readily available to SD with your time and money.  She can get that from other sources, such as her mother, fiance, extended family.  She can't have it both ways (you are good enough for car services and cash, but not for her to be polite to).  

As for the reception thing, I would ask your DW if this age limit thing is only extended to your children, or to all children under 14?  I would also ask your BM how she would feel if the roles were reversed and it were your daughter limiting DW's interactions and ultimatly shunning her from her reception.   I would also ask her if this is going to set a precedence going forward for all other children's weddings?  Where you will be required to pony up the money, but sit down and shut up when it comes to being treated like an outsider and dismissed from the wedding.  Ask your DW if she will be okay when you allow your own children to treat her the same way when it comes to their wedding days?  I would also recommend some couples counseling for you and DW going forward as you have a very large family to try and blend.

ESMOD's picture

I absolutely agree with discussing the precedent issue.  I may be erring on the side of being too nice about this.. but if this is a somewhat isolated situation and not a precedent for having to do so... that is one thing.. if this is another of a long line of significant concessions you are expected to make.. then making a stand that the buck stops here is not unreasonable.  It also might be a reason for joint finances to be addressed.. and that perhaps children's needs on either side don't get to be part of the joint finance situation?  I would be examining who is getting the better end of that stick too.. is OP paying a much larger share due to income difference?

ESMOD's picture

I mean more of the "his money goes to support her" part of it.  Because he was ok with his money going towards the wedding at one point.. and it's not that she dislikes him that seems to be the issue it's that his children were excluded from the wedding.  So, maybe he needs to clarify with wife what joint funds will support.  Maybe it shouldn't include things that some family members are excluded from? maybe his wife will agree to somehow make it equitable?  

advice.only2's picture

I liked and agree with your answer you had above, but OP should also let his wife know that going forward if this is how SD is going to continue treating him then he will no longer be putting time or money towards anything for her.  After all SD is an adult and should be treated accordingly.  

Harry's picture

So age limits don't effect brothers and sisters. In a wedding   Your kids are not guest they are family. 

LittleCloud9's picture

Agreed. I have been to many 'no kid' weddings yet they have always made exceptions for immediate family members, like siblings. It's intensely disrespectful of her to do this, and yes it is plainly personal. Getting married does not give you license to treat your family like trash, even if they are steps. And btw, stuff like this does hurt little kids. Being told they are not invited to their stepsisters wedding surely hurts, even if they're not super close. Apparently tho SD has noooo problem hurting 10 year olds. Nice. What a piece of work.

Your wife is wrong to think her daughter getting married means she can freely stomp on peoples feelings. She should care about you and your kids too, not just bridzilla. Feeling bad for the poor sap who is marrying someone that manipulative and cold

Honestly, I'd take my kids anyway and tell to go jump off a cliff. Then I'd probably block her afterwards 

MissTexas's picture

wedding he is not allowed to attend. This, after putting funds toward her wedding. I'm not insinuating because of his contribution he bought his ticket to the wedding, however, if SD doesn't like him or has contempt for him, she should have the common courtesy not to use him and his money for HER WEDDING.

The wife's response is very troubling and telling. She's clearly putting DH on the back burner, and they are pretty much newlyweds themselves, being married just under 2 years.

I wouldn't want to go where I'm not wanted. I would just send the wife and tell her to have a good time, and do something with MY KIDS during the week-end visitation I had them.

TheBrightSide's picture

I'd elect to just stay home.  Then i would #neverforget and COMPLETELY disengage from her.  

Then I would stew in my resentfulness toward my partner over their unwillingness to back me up...then eventually divorce.

(not saying that my method is right....I'm just very stubborn).

Miss T's picture

... a woman after my own heart. (Hoping to avoid the divorce part.)

Rags's picture

You may very well be stubborn.  However, I would classify your stance as confident, understanding your self by worth, and intolerant of bullshit.

I agree with your position..  But... I would go, be radiant, and take a "don't fuck with me" stance.

I devalued myself in my first marriage and was far more focused on not divorcing than I was on being happy, living the life I wanted, and being the Rags that I enjoy being. That one lasted 2.5 years.

This time around I am all in on happy, enjoying life and creating and sharing an amazing world with my bride. Making her and is my priority.  

I am truly blessed that she is all in on those same things.  This one is 27 years and counting.  With the bonus of having raised a wonderful son together (SS-29 who asked me to adopt him when he was 22).  He came with our marriage

IMHO the toxic dipshits need clarity that if they want our mate and our money they get us whether they want us or not. And they get us on our terms not theirs.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

This adult skids hates you, but happily uses you. And your wife is condoning it. Niiice.

OP, is your wife older than you, or did she start having kids at a very young age?  If she is older, could it be she thinks that gives her the upper hand in your marriage? You haven't been married very long, but she sure seems to expect you to hand over your wallet and do as you're told. We teach people how to treat us, so why have you spent ANY money on this hateful witch your wife spawned? Did your wife manipulate you?

I think it was a mistake to join finances. You each have three minor children to support, and given how much you've already spent on her eldest and how poorly you're being treated, I'd immediately cut off access to your money and credit. If your wife thinks quality men willing to accept disrespect and subsidize women with broods of kids are thick upon the ground, she's quite mistaken. This is an eye-opening point in your short relationship. As Miss Texas points out, you'll still be expected to fund lodging, travel, meals, clothing etc so put your foot down NOW. Either your kids attend, or you don't and you expect to be reimbursed by the rude couple immediately. 

Please stick around the site and do some reading. You'll learn that finances need to be handled very differently in second marriages. You support your kids, she supports hers, and you each contribute an appropriate percentage to the monthly household costs. Your wife has a lot of kids, but it's NOT your responsibility to support any of them. In fact, when you spend on hers, you take away from your own. Please take a hard look at your relationship; is it an equal partnership? In steplife, people who don't stand up for themselves get ran over, and you've got tire tracks on your face.

queensway's picture

Your SD is an ungrateful little snob. With a Mother who can't tell her that your daughters, her SD's are coming to the wedding and that is that.Shame on your wife for not having your back. I don't care if this SD hates you, so what. Weddings are family affairs and your girls are family. It is called etiquette. Your wife needs to tell your SD this. All weddings have people they don't want to invite but do because it is the right thing to do. Your SD is an entitled young woman who has many things to learn in her future. She had zero problem taking your money.  Oh karma is heading her way. I feel sorry for this poor guy she is going to have a future with. I think the real problem is between you and your wife though. She seems to go along with this Bridezilla.

Rags's picture

Fuck that.  You are paying, anyone you want there goes.  Take your kids to the wedding and reception and seat them where you want them.  She can either STFU or you  threaten to loudly demand repayment of your investment in the wedding or reception.  Whisper that part in her ear if she so much as frowns about your children being at the wedding and receoption.

Rent the nicest suite at the venue so if your younger kids get tired they can get some rest while you, your older kids, and your wife are all conspicuously front and center.

Kaylee's picture

The bitch SD won't give the money back, you can guarantee that!

Go to the wedding that you have paid a large sum of money towards, take your children, and participate fully in every part of it.

If bitch SD or your disloyal wife, say anything at the wedding about your kids being there, tell them to STFU or you are going to stand up and speak to everyone there about how they took YOUR money but didn't want your children there...