You are here

Proof of graduation

Newimprvmodel's picture

Ok, so far Dh's ex has refused to sign consent order to emancipate. Dh will need to file formal court motion....how do we obtain proof of college graduation in May if they refuse any contact with dh?
She is 22 and colleges will not release that info. This is best case scenario......they could NOT keep silent and file cross motion to fight emancipation to keep CS going through grad school.
But again, how do people get proof graduation?

Ninji's picture

When he files a motion in court, can he petition the court for a copy of the transcripts? Courts make both parents submit copies of taxes and other documentation all the time.

Newimprvmodel's picture

But again, the daughter must give consent for one to obtain her records. And honestly dh doesn't want to gave to wait until she graduates because all the money he pays after graduation will be lost. They won't return a dime! The whole system is broken!

AllySkoo's picture

Can I just ask why you think the college won't release that info? I just googled "alumni list" of my alma matter and you can search the list of every student who ever graduated in good standing if you register. Also, I know someone got fired here at my company for claiming on their resume that they graduated from a certain college when they actually didn't, and that the college confirmed that.

I dunno, it's possible that that particular college won't tell anyone whether or not a particular student graduated or not (not grades or anything, just "did this person receive a degree from your school?"), but I wanted to be sure you'd actually checked with that school and you're not just taking someone's word for it!

notarelative's picture

In this area a list of the graduates is printed in the local papers. Could you submit the newspaper with her name? Perhaps the court would take that, unless she could prove that it was not her.

joan mary's picture

With all the privacy laws it might be very hard to get that information. However, I would try to expidite your court case to review the child support. Courts today are much less likely to require either parent to support a child thru post graduate education. I would request the courts order the school to release the information about the enrollment of the child (??? 22 year olds are not children)

Even then, the payments for the support are usually in the form of tuition payments which can be made directly to the college. Any overpayment of the tuition would be refunded to the person making the payment and NOT the person in the program.