You are here

out of place in my own home

fatherswife's picture

Hello All,

Looking for healthy suggestions about how to manage feeling out of place in my own home,especially after a long weekend with SKIDS.

DH's children spent the weekend with us. The couple with a baby essentially take over the first floor with equipment. They stayed over another night, and no one checked with me that it's ok. The baby slept in my daughter's room since she was away. Again, no one checked to see if okay. Of course I wouldn't say no, but it's just a feeling of being out of the loop.

When SKIDS over, they barely speak to me. If I ask questions, I get glowered at by 21 yr old son, his GF is sweet but getting less sweet and didn't lift a finger to help. Neither did he. If he bring a dish to the sink, DH thinks he's the greatest thing ever.

Young couple with baby take over house. (see above)

25 yr old daughter shows up for days on end while her father (who is out of work) pays her rent for an apartment in another city - where she has her own room. If I try to initiate conversation with her, I get a one word answer. She did help over the weekend, though.

DH and I have had problems from beginning. He is "employment challenged" and drinks (and drinks, and drinks...).  His kids can do no wrong, and any problems they have is because of grief over their mother's death 10 years ago.

He has so much positive energy for his kids. When they are together, I feel like a hanger-on, so out of place. I understand that they don't want me around, but DH doesn't get it. BTW, I try my best to make sure they have time alone with their father, which has involved them taking trips to hotels (on him of course), weekends away, etc.  When we go away, he has asked me to pay half. Sometimes I do, sometimes not.

This past weekend, I decided not to knock myself out cooking. I made a few dishes, but letf the rest to him and went to visit my daugher in another city. Thinking of giving up martyrdom.  I tried, it didn't work.

Wishing everyone good health and sanity on the journey.

Goneforsix's picture

I have such a similar experience. SD is 24 going on 12. It's a nightmare when she's here, for eactly the same reasons: one word answers, no contribution or input to the house, no chores. When she puts a dish in the dishwasher either she or BM has to point it out to make sure I know she is helping.

I've made it clear I don't want her here but I'm bending a bit just now and trying to keep things civil - but it's really hard. Feeling uncomfortable in your own home is a horrible place to be.

Good Luck to you - I hope your situation gets resolved.

shamds's picture

I moved overseas to marry hubby and support him and have kids with him was enough for me to tell hubby that him allowing adult ss remain in the home because of guilty daddy syndrome and the whole world must feel sorry only contributed to the demise of our marriage so i told him to get another home for us which is what he did.

he bought a home in my country in my name only as our 2 young kids go to school there

its hard enough dealing with ss and add 2 sd’s with bio mum continually harassing hubby to transfer property he bought solely in the skids name because hubby owes the ex and i had enough!!

tog redux's picture

Doesn't sound like the skids are the biggest challenge in your relationship - what are you getting out of it?

Would you consider going to Al-Anon, it might help with some of this? In the meantime, tell your DH point blank that you expect to be consulted about all visits, where they sleep, and how long they stay.

hereiam's picture

I wouldn't put up with any of this for one minute, but I'm a bitch. No one takes over my home.

He is out of work but paying his daughter's rent? Is he also paying his share of your shared bills at home? Is he employment challenged because of the drinking, or he just doesn't want to work, or what?

You should absolutely give up the martyrdom and really think about what you are getting out of this arrangement.

SteppedOut's picture

I second the question of how he is paying daughter's bills when he is not working. I hope like hel! you are not paying for that mess! 

All that drinking (and drinking)...OP, I think it is time to nope out of that situation. It will not get better. It's ok to make a mistake; it is not ok to change nothing when you realize it. 

Don't waste your life.