You are here

No Respect

jbg49's picture

My husband allowed his adult daughter to stay on our cell phone  (actually in my name and I pay the bill) after she left college.  She would not pay her bill until I nagged and nagged and then she was at least 3 months late.  This went on for over 2 years.  Recently she used all our data in 2 days and never said a word about it.  She would take peoples upgrades without telling them and I paid on a phone for months because I thought my husband owed on his phone (turns out she took his upgrade so it would look like his bill and not hers for a new phone).  I told my husband she had to come off.  He would never say a word to her about not paying, just get mad at me for bringing it up.  My husband's other daughter called him the other day and made it sound like I had cut her sister off with no warning and for no reason.  My husband's daughter has a habit of lying and apparently told her sister lies about me and cutting her phone line off.  I gave her plenty of advance warning I was turning the phone off.  Now the girls are bad mouthing me to their father saying if I had not gotten involved it would not have escalated and I cause problems and am a manipulator.  If I didn't get involved- no one would have and I would still be paying her bill.  What can I do?  I am so angry.

Dawn-Moderator's picture

We are still paying my Ss23's cell phone.  He is on our plan.  He doesn't have access to our account so he couldn't upgrade his phone on his own.  We have to keep a larger plan than Dh and I would need, although lately Ss23 hasn't been using as much data as he used to when he was at college.

I have put the cell phone bill on the back burner because I am still trying to get Ss23 to pay his own car insurance.  I set a deadline of April of this year for him to have everything lined up.  It came and went. 

Now Ss23 got a promotion at work with a big pay bump and still hasn't done what he needs to to take over the insurance. Now he thinks he just doesnt' have the time to do it.

I can't drop the insurance because we still own the car.  Grrrr

You are right.  Even though Dh agrees with me, he doesn't want to be angry at Ss23 or have to take a firm stand on the issue.

My Dh would never, ever in a million years let me turn off Ss23's phone.  I guess we might just be paying that forever.

Ispofacto's picture

We had this car problem with my own DS.  We kept receiving his parking tickets in our mail.  If he got in a bad accident, we would have been liable.  So we gifted him the car, signed the title over to him.  Then a few months later, our insurance company "found out" he was no longer living in our household, and said he legally could not be on our insurance.

Dawn-Moderator's picture

We want to gift the car to Ss too.  He has the title but we just have to sign off on it.  However, he first needs to get his driver's lic. for the state that he lives in (not our state).

We could just sign the title over but it would still be registered to us unless he goes to the DMV.

And yes, we were getting a parking ticket every other month in our mail!

Our local insurance office already knows but they are sweeping it under the rug I guess.  He has been out of college since summer of 2017 and has not lived here since.

Dawn-Moderator's picture

I will be texting Ss this week and inviting him to come over for dinner on Father's Day.  I will ask him to bring that car title so we can sign it over.  Maybe that will give him a kick in the right direction.

ESMOD's picture

What can you do?  You can make your DH tell his daughter's the truth about this.  If he refuses... he wouldn't be happy in the home.. that's for sure.

I would have no problem sharing the fact that you gave the ADULT plenty of notice that she needed to get her own plan...and I would tell them it was your husband's decision... they can lie.. you can lie.. when your DH comes to you with that.. you tell him.. "Well, if you had any sense you WOULD have cut your deadbeat daughter off MY plan"..

tog redux's picture

Your "D"H is the problem.  He had no issue with his daughter using your phone plan, refusing to pay and eating up all the data.  He didn't care about your feelings or needs at all in this scenario.  If he did, he would have taken over their phone lines in his name and set you free to not deal with this crap.

I'm not sure I would stay married to such a selfish man. 

Harry's picture

Yes SD is no good,  What else is new.  But DH allows this to happen by not telling his other daughter the story.  Not saying a word is a big problem.  He your problem