You are here

Facebook friends with adult Skids?

Bamb's picture

The day after my DH and I got married my adult SD sent me a friend request. I accepted because I was feeling very warm and fuzzy after our wedding. We have a long tumultuous past and her and I have a strained relationship. But I've found myself over-analyzing stuff on FB. I noticed that she does not "like" anything I post, even if it's about her dad but she will comment on every post from our mutual friends. She will even mention to me that she "saw what I posted" and kind of mock me so I know she is seeing it. I know, I know....it's Facebook, it's so dumb to use this headspace thinking of it. Anyone experience the same?

Kes's picture

I no longer have a Facebook account, and this is one of the reasons why - ie issues over interaction with SKIDs.  In my experience, Facebook has the ability to create ill feeling like nothing else, so I avoid it.  My DH once threatened to divorce me because I didn't want to friend the SDs - so I deactivated my account straight away.  He wouldn't ever do that nowadays, but a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. 

Bamb's picture

I am considering just getting rid of my account too. It's so true, Facebook does cause ill feelings!

Rags's picture

My DH once threatened to divorce me because I didn't want to friend the SDs

That would have been the instant end for me.  Not in my first marriage. I was all about making it work.  But I learned.

For post divorce Rags, that kind of thing would have instant bags placed on the curb and locks re-keyed.

I am so glad things are better for you now.

Winterglow's picture

I accepted my toxic SIL's friend request for the sake of peace at family events and promptly blocked her from seeing anything I post. My fb is for my family and true friends only. 

Bamb's picture

I agree. I have a very small friend list. Only close relationships. So I guess that's why I overanalyze how she reacts to my posts. It bothers me so much that she makes it known she saw a post in person! It's so bitchy in my opinion!!

Winterglow's picture

If she can't see them, she can't respond to them Smile I can still see my SIL's posts because they are often quite good for a laugh, not what she posts but what normal people respond to her.

strugglingSM's picture

I did that with SSs. I didn't want to start WW 3 by not accepting their friend requests (this happened with BM when DH and I were just dating), but didn't want them to see anything, either, so we are "friends", but they can't see what I post. They don't post anything themselves, but will on occasion like and comment other people's stuff. 

caninelover's picture

As that will start unnecessary drama.  If her comments bother you, then just restrict your posts to a small circle of friends/family.  And even then, be selective about what you post.

I generally post vacation pictures and birthday pictures (because we both have family spread out across the country, and they like seeing these).  Otherwise my cousins (we're close) have private group on FB and I post more there - since rando's (including toxic SD24 Bratty McBratFace) can't see anything.

Flustered's picture

My FB is limited to a small friends & family. My SD was in there until she decided FB was for idiots and closed hers. Am I grateful? Yep!

advice.only2's picture

People are still on Fakebook?  Honestly no I would never friend Spawn on Fakebook, very simply block her so she can't see any more of your posts.  What's the worst she's going to do?  Unfriend you?

shellpell's picture

Not interested in being Fakebook friends with skid. In fact, I've blocked everyone (in-laws) who are friends with BM. I am very private and don't want the rare pics I post to be shared with her.

SacrificialLamb's picture

Facebook gives nasty people a platform to snub people. Either defriend her or ignore.

My OSD46 used to post something, and if I commented she would like everyone's comment but mine. So ridiculous.  I defriended her and she acted like a baby about it, after she "ignored" whatever I did. It's  a really stupid game.

Bamb's picture

You are so right about that! I see people use it to bully/snub others all the time. It is a really stupid game. I can't believe I let it affect me! What did you say when she found out you unfriended her?

CLove's picture

So - recently last April there was a blowup where I ended up blocking SD22 Feral Forger and Sd15 Backstabber/Munchkin. They told their mother, Toxic Troll, stuff that they saw on my timelines for Instagram and Facebook, as well as some lies and manipulations. Long story short, I blocked those skiddos!!!! They do not get to see my life. I do a lot of posting and do a lot of activities. Feral Forger told her mother "Dad took Clove to a fancy restaurant and cant even wish me happy birthday!! And she sent me a present and he cant even spend time with meeeeeee!!!! Whaaaa". Her mother used that to flog my husband with, to show what a horrible father he is...etc. That he "chose Clove over his own chiiiiiillllllddddd"
This was back when we were still civil to each other and I had taken her out to lunch and sent a b-day present in the mail.
She claims she "just mentioned it", and her mother fabricated the rest, but now I know better.

Truth was , that it was CLOVE taking her husband out for a nice fancy dinner...rather than the other way around, and he mentioned that, but after that I just got fed up and blocked the b!tch.

So - block the b!tch.

Bamb's picture

Yes, I think just like your SD she likely gets hurt feelings over us on a vacation or things like that. I'm sure she uses it as fuel more than anything to resent me/us.  My husband and her used to share locations with each other so they could always see where the other was (barf) and she would use that against him. "I saw you were on this trip yet you couldn't give me money for x,y,z". He immediately laid a boundary with her and they stopped sharing locations. 

Dogmom1321's picture

Honestly, I would just block her. If you have a relationship, you can communicate via calls and texts. If she doesn't call or text you, it's probably not a relationship worthy of being FB friends. Sounds like she just wants to be nosy though. Is she the type of person that would "fill BM in" on what you guys are up to? She sounds like a snoop. 

When BM found out I was pregnant, she messaged me on FB and added me. She was only snooping and was all in our business. I blocked her after she was commenting MULTIPLE times on my ultrasound pics. WEIRD! 

shellpell's picture

Why do people think they have to add every Tom Dick and Harry who friend requests you? It's your Facebook page. 

Rags's picture

I use FB and other social media mainly to keep up with friends and family.   I have learned to not get into debates, participate in religious discussions, or political discussions on FB, etc...

ImFreeAtLast's picture

I'd rather chew on barbed wire. I have everyone that is related to stepkid (beside my husband) blocked permanently.

bertieb's picture

Hi Bamb! I didn't think my SS wife had any reason to dislike me but then the whole social media interaction thing made me wonder. She never "liked" any pictures I posted on Instagram or FB, She doesn't have a big presence but she does post pictures of her husband and kids. Lets face it, when we want to be part of the family it is easy to notice these things and take them personally. I've gotten over it bothering me. I just do the same, rarely "like" anything she or SS posts since I know they don't care if I see it or not anyway.

Murkywoman's picture

I blocked my SS, and restricted my SD postings so that they don't come thru my feed. Ignorance is bliss. 

momofoneboy's picture

I have not had much contact with the skids since their father (my sweet husband) passed away two years ago. I often thought of unfriending them because honestly, I don't and never have, liked them very much (and the feeling is mutual). I deleted my Instagram, only FB now. After thinking it through, I thought, let them delete me if they want. In order to get around social media weirdness, I have them on a filter, so they don't really see much of what I write (honestly, my page is pretty boring anyway). I will sometimes look at their pages, but they don't put much up. They are mostly on Instagram or Snapchat, which I am not. 

I stopped putting much weight into anything they post or say or like either because who cares. My stepdaughter was always a bit of a miserable B anyway. She never made me feel welcomed or included (this is after being with her dad for 30 years). As far as pictures, I always tried to put things up or tag her. However, I don't remember any pictures of me? She would have "family" pictures and never included me in anything. However, there was one picture she posted was when we all went to a family vacation (almost all funded by me) and I was passed out in a lawn chair lol. Lovely.

That was kind of an eye-opener for me. Since then, I don't bother commenting, liking or even wishing anyone happy birthdays anymore. I put no effort into any relationship and it's a huge relief to have that dysfunction removed from my life. I am waiting for the unfriend, because I am not bothering. My friend always says "Let the trash take itself out." Never a truer statement.

I know it's easy to "over analyze" things on social media, and sometimes she will post something stupid or angry and it just makes me laugh because how miserable does one have to be to post that kind of stuff?

Dog or kitten memes are more my style.

Bamb's picture

I unfriended her! And it feels so good! I am done worrying about this stuff! She likes and comments on everyone's stuff but mine. No need to have a troll in my friend list. Thanks to all who commented! 

Bonus Mom 1981's picture

I have a situation alot like yours. This is my DH's Ex-stepdaughter, but when he left his ex, he still stayed in contact with the ex-stepdaughter, so when he picked his 2 kids up for the weekednd, he picked up ex-stepdaughter too, & he let her grow up calling him dad. So we have claimed her as DD & SD most of the time.  But she is 44 yrs old & is a DRama Queen, she is back & forth with us for no good reason. Since 2008, i have added & unfriended her on facebook alot of times. But everytime she would act friendly & talk like she wanted to get along with us/me, i would be vulnerable & accept her friend request. And i over-analyzed stuff she done or didn't do on facebook. So she couldn't get mad or jealous of my stuff i had on facebook, i had her on Acquantence list, & post most posts for "friends except acquantances"  she couldn't see much on my facebook only what i allowed her to see, & she never liked or commented on anything i posted, but always liked & commented on our mutual friends's posts who is in our family. She also liked posting on or around Father;s Day about how her stepdad stepped up to be her dad & he was her DAD. & then she would mention my DH & put him down as a father on facebook. & talk about how her mom had to be both mom & dad & all that. & then she would post happy birthday to all our mutual friends who is in our family, except me, she never posted on my facebook wall a happy birthday. Not even after i posted happy birthday on her facebook. But on my DH's birthday, she posted happy birthday to him ON MY FACEBOOK, but wouldn't post on my facebook for my birthday.  I learned thru one of my step-grandsons that, she is not only back & forth with me & DH, but she is back & forth with everybody. But  I unfriended her on facebook & i feel better. I did it for my PEACE. She don't like me & she really don't think much of my DH either.  I think she just wants to be nosey on facebook. My DS has unfrieded her too on count of her drama  games she plays on facebook & says he has no intentions of accepting her friend request again. I have no intentions of adding her back on my facebook friends. I even got her blocked. And it;s been peaceful since. Nothing ever changed whenever i did have her on my facebook friends, she never talked to us anymore, & we don't see her. she don't come around. DH don't have a facebook of his own because of the drama it would cause with stepkids. She knows that my DH is not her real dad & she now knows that we know it as well. But she still calls him dad, her real dad has never been in her life. 

Renewed's picture

I had a similar situation with an aunt. Couldn't help but notice she was ALL OVER all my cousin's pages, inviting them to stay with her, hob-nobbing with everyone. I'd always suspected I was a bit of persona non grata but FB really proved to me I was not being paranoid. [Nothing I did...long story that can be summed up with alcoholic family dynamics.] 

I unfriended her and pretty much the whole family and I'm quite happy with that.

Chelseaman83's picture

Facebook is just for nosy people,I delete unfriend anyone I don't interact with or restrict viewers ,I usually delete posts after 5 days or put it to privacy settings for my viewing only,I mean why keep it once everybody has viewed it or liked it commented it's really no need it being their any longer, Facebook has caused me many dramas over the years,I prefer the Facebook story mode on the Facebook app,That way you can see who viewed it and know who your stalkers are or nosy people lol plus your post is only valid for 24 hours,I had some 300 Facebook friends at one stage now only 89 all of which I know family and friends,I get my regular likers and commenters which is good,I've had people like that before too,Oh I saw your Facebook post but yet they never like or comment but would only comment on something which causes debate or says something smart ,Those kinds are usually the first on the deleted and restricted lists lol

Sandybeaches's picture

It's simple ... sad but likely true...

She added you so that she could see everything that you post to show BM... "SHE didn't want to add you as a friend BM had her do it.  I am not on Facebook but my family is and the same scenario happens ...  BM, her family etc try to friend my son and family hoping to catch a glimpse into mine and DH's life... We are very private and forbid pictures and mention of our lives on Facebook.  

Again I know very little about social media but can't you share only certain things with her and not allow her to see everything?  Personally I think that would drive them crazy!

Missingme's picture

I never post a pic of someone on FB unless I ask permission first. Some people look at me like I'm weird for asking because they obviously have no concept of privacy-their lives are open for the world to see and use. Others are grateful to be able to tel me no. I've asked politely for people in the family to not post our pics on FB and they look and act offended. Really??

piegirl's picture

In the beginning when things were all rosy I was friends with 2 of the 4 on Facebook but then as the toxicity leapt in I unfriended them - and boy did that blow their little toxic minds! Gave them more ammunition about how it was "me who wronged them" blah blah...Only protects me from seeing things though - they still whinge about what their Dad does or buys etc because he is friends with them on Facebook.

Notthedoormat's picture

I'm FB "friends" with SD...but I have noticed that she never, or at least rarely, likes pictures/posts about me and DH...he writes the sweetest things for our anniversary and my birthday,  and it would appear she doesn't see them, but I know better. 

I became her step mother when she was 14 and she's 19 now so I assume she would treat any other woman the same...and her parents had been divorced since she was like 3.  Its clear to me in the way she behaves that she resents her parents not being together. 

When behavior gets to a point though,  you gotta block that stuff.

MissTexas's picture

can be divisive. I refer to the people who seemingly spy on you as FB Voyeurs. They're nothing more than technological peeping Toms when they watch but don't comment, or share anything.

I really don't have the time to sit around and read what who is doing, and peruse photos of their every meal.

DH and I are very private people and I don't want any of my information put out there.

For the record SK's and I aren't friends in the real world, so why would I invite that into my digital world? I want NOTHING to do with them on ANY LEVEL.

BobbyDazzler's picture

"technological peeping Toms"....I love it and so true.

BobbyDazzler's picture

This made me chuckle....not because it's not a true concern but because I found myself in the same situation.  I finally unfriended my oldest SS on Facebook (mostly because he's a DB) and I've set it up so his wife can't see anything I've posted (although we're still friends on fakebook).  I've posted pics of all the grandkids together (including their kids) and tagged her in the pics and she ignores them.  That happened twice and I thought "I don't need this crap" and did what I needed to do.  I disengaged from this SS and his wife and their HUGE egos several years back and it was a very freeing feeling.  Unfriend her; if she asks why just naively say 'did I?' What do you care.  Don't give your precious love and energy to people that are playing with you.

Sigh's picture

I blocked both SD's years ago.

I don't want to look at their nonsence and filtered photo shoots. I don't want to read the oldest disgusting sexual posts.

II feel so sorry for my SO. They friended everyone he knows.

My sister is friends with them and shows me on ocassion the crap when I ask.

Sometimes, I need to know what is causing my SO's mood...9 of 10 it's becauae one of the SD's is acting out.

BTW, they are 39 & 35.

They have no shame....no self-respect.

Ugh!

-Sigh

Elea's picture

But DH is so they can see anything I post where DH is tagged. They never comment but I know they watch our posts because they make snide comments to DH from time to time about how they or BM can't have nice things like we do because they have school or work. Wah wah BM finally had to get a real job.

I don't care that spending our own hard earned  money and being happy makes them angry. If anything their jealous, petty and bitter, entitled "golden family" children from the 1st family response shows DH their true colors. He gets sick of it, especially after all he has done for them. He kicked entitled BM to the curb. They may get the same treatment if they act like her and don't get themselves in check. 

Rags's picture

That was one of the SpermClan victim and manipulation tactics.

When SS was on SpermLand visitation they would feed him lines of crap that it wasn't fair that he had nice things and his three younger also out of wedlock Spermidiot spawned half sibs by two other baby mamas didn't.  Of course it was the $110/mo  in CS that paid for our new homes, new cars, nice vacations, good schools, safe neighborhoods, etc.. and the reason the half sibs didn't have food.....

They of course had food. The goal was manipulating SS and trying to PAS him against his mom for being mean and making them support SS

Once SS got a bit older and we introduced him to the truth and the facts he was no longer as subject to being their manipulated victim.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when he pushed back on them which they often bitched to his mom that he did.  The were made because SS knew the truth and knew when they were lying.  They were so F'n stupid that they would be made at DW not because of their own shit (arrests, lies, etc....) but because SS knew about those things. He knew because we had to counter the lies and manipulations so SS would have the tools to protect himself when he was on SpermClan visitaiton and for the rest of his life as an adult.

SS would correct them that $110/mo isn't enough to buy much of anything. That his mom's BS (dual major), MBA, and CPA career combined with my engineering degree, MBA, professional certification and career were why SS had a life that the SpermClan didn't.  SpermGrandHag would lose her shit on my DW over SS knowing the facts.  Over the years it did pull their teeth to the point that they slowed down on the manipulation and lies though they did shift to the incessent guilt assault campaign on SS.

When he turned 18 and aged out from under the CS and visitation order, they had nearly zero contact with him for several years other than to try to get him to pay them to help support his younger half sibs.  He did not play that game and repeatedly told SpermGrandHag that they had a father who was supposed to be supporting them and that he was providing nearly $800/mo by not forcing them to keep paying CS while he was in college. Which he could have done.

That they would try to con money out of their own kid who was a freshly minted AirMan making diddly squat is part of the reason I wouldn't waste the moisture to piss on them if they were on fire.

Bonus Mom 1981's picture

I have accepted SD's friend request again 2 years ago. Only to have her disappoint me again. I thought she had changed, but she hadn't. She is still back & forth, off and on with us, more off than on. But in a few texts to me she mentioned that she loved me or us. And in one text she told me she wanted to start calling me "Bonus Mom", but just a few months after that my birthday came up on facebook and she did not even post a happy birthday on my facebook wall.  But she posted happy birthday on my grandson & daughter's facebook wall.  I felt excluded and left out. I know she done it intentionally. For she was on facebook the day of my birthday, she posted 2 posts that day. But she does me like that on facebook all the time, i have her on acquaintnce list so she don't see everything i posted, but she never liked or commented on anything i allowed her to see. And she has done that before with the birthday thing too. So i deleted & blocked her again, for good this time. I'm done trying to be friends with her on facebook, the way she does me on there. And just so she knew why i deleted & blocked her, i texted her & asked her if there was a reason she get on facebook and posted happy birthday to everyone in my family but me, and all i could get out of her was, she said she did, but she didn't , she just didn't want to admit that she posted happy birthday to everyone in the family except me.

Rags's picture

Another trueism is that doing the same thing repeatedly while expecting a different result is the definition of insanity.

She is who she is. More than likely, that is who she will always be.

So, stop the insanity and relegate her permanently to your past. Do not risk the repeated outcomes associated with her.

Take care of you.