You are here

Cosigner college loan

Newimprvmodel's picture

Okay, the game so far. Dh cosigned a 5k loan and paid well over 40 k for estranged daughter college tuition. She failed every semester and now at 26 has over 80k loans. She does have a full time job after finally giving college up after over 6 years.
So here is the puzzle. Payment due and sallie Mae recieved a check a few days before payment due. DH even calls up daughter to congratulate her on this amazing achievement. ( I thought he was crazy).
Then on Monday he get call from sallie Mae saying check had bounced. He has called daughter every day and texted......no response.
So here's the crazy part we can not figure out. He called sallie Mae to day to see if she has made a new payment. No, and two separate people and supervisor tell dh that check did NOT bounce, she paid and then a week later, requested in writing and withdrew her payment of 35 dollars! Why?????
They would not tell him the reason. They did say she was not requesting forebearance.
Dh again called her just now and she refused to pick up. He left voicemail demanding answer and advising he is considering seeking an attorney's advice.
I am stymied as to why make the payment and withdraw payment a week later? Months ago, dh and I thought she might purposefully not make payments just to screw him over. Something doesn't add up.
Any thoughts?

Newimprvmodel's picture

Yes, tog, but why make the payment, all of 34 bucks, and then take it back? However, it happen a few days after dh called her to congratulate her on the payment. She is the type who plots and schemes cruel behavior.

Newimprvmodel's picture

The more I mull this over, I do think dh's phone call to her was a mistake, and maybe plotted the seed that she could again wound her father in a most cruel manner. She is the one who always accuses dh of only be concerned about the money...

Newimprvmodel's picture

This poor man hasn't any retirement money, and when I met him he had lots in the bank, all drained by legal maneuvers brought on by ex and daughters over the years.

Newimprvmodel's picture

He remains silent throughout all the years of abusive behavior. Tells me he won't say anything he can't deliver on. I told him to send her a certified letter at her office advising her he is finished and his will excludes her from getting a dime. I have to say I think that step is necessary because I do think this woman is quite disturbed, enraged, and hasn't any remorse for deplorable actions. And sees him as a money tree. She has numerous cousins who are in and out of jail for robbery and assault. Figure it out. Scary!!!

Newimprvmodel's picture

This has definitely registered with DH tonight. I think the monstrosity of her action is beginning to sink in. He keeps saying why would she request back 34 bucks? And then not return any of his phone calls? I worry about him, he has heart problems and lots of stress in his job.

twoviewpoints's picture

Stop talking about it. Help him let it go. His health and a possible heart attack are not worth $5000. Who knows why SD withdrew a lousy $34. Maybe she wanted cash to bar hop or needed the money for a cell bill. Doesn't really matter. Point is she made it, she withdrew it and now it's done.

If I were your DH I would take a loan for $5000 and pay back the loan he co-signed for. This daughter can not be trusted to pay the co-signed loan and DH doesn't need his credit trashed. Strike it up to a sh*tty lesson learned the hard way.

As to DH's will. He doesn't want to totally not include her. That's not to say leave her anything. If he includes a paragraph intentionally mentioning her and why he is choosing to not leave her anything in the end, she very likely won't be able to drag out and hold up his estate settlement when the sad times comes. Example: 'As to my dear daughter, _________, having already had a handsome sum of money bestowed upon her by myself as her stake to my estate during my lifetime, my last will and desire is now $1 go to said daughter'.

Your Sd has show her true colors and her little regard towards her father. Now let it be the end. Don't risk your husband's health (and possible life) over anymore of it. Protect your husband. Don't dwell on it. It happened. It's over. Move on.

As an aside....I'm sorry your husband got stuck with a heartless asshole for a daughter.

Jojo4124's picture

I agree 100%

Pay it off n cut your losses. Lesson learned, could've been worse. Don't help with the college debt, let her wages get garnished. She just unknowingly screwed herself.

She is acting like  5yo not answering calls. Really, who cares WHY she took out the money, just see it as her game playing and being irresponsible. Not to be trusted. Unstable.

Does DH still want to be in contact with her? Maybe require her to get psychological counseling because she displays childish behaviors (if not narcissistic...the silent treatment is one of their favs), and financial counseling as she won't be able to buy her next car as Dad won't co sign anymore (I hope!)

Yes, protect yourself and DH. Stop trying to contact her...she wins everytime you show any kind of emotion about this.

I am SURE she plans to ask Dad for money in the future. Be prepared how you'll handle that. I am sure she never said thank you to her dad either. Entitled brat.

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Glutton for punishment indeed! What a bizarre twist - it would appear that her taking the measly 35 bucks back was triggered by her fathers phone call. The effort it would take to get it back was not worth the amount. . and who pays that little anyway.

However, it is 35 dollars more than my skids have paid on a similar loan, around 80k right now for two. Not a cent out of them. What are the odds do you think that they will pay us anything back if we pay the loans down?

Jojo4124's picture

They probably figure it's part of their inheritance!

Newimprvmodel's picture

Dh is in bed now, very tired and drained and it is only 7 pm. I do think this is the straw breaking the camel 's back... So likely he will pay the full amount. Honestly though I do not understand how you can take back an automatic payment a few days later. But the point is very clear. To make dh pay the full amount. I can say I hope he is finished with his daughters, but that would be very foolish assumptions on my part. The only way he will be done with them is when they walk from him. Crazily this us exactly how his marriage ended to their mother. Him begging her to come back from her numerous affairs, she came back, and then left him for good.
I think he is a bit heartbroken tonight, but still has hope ????

Newimprvmodel's picture

They said another two months before they report to credit companies. At this point it sounds like SD is not going to pay another dime. DH does have some money, but what is looming is getting the final daughter unhooked with her college graduation in May. I fear it is going to be a bloody (expensive) battle now that oldest daughter is facing 80 k loans due now...so her and her mother will object to it given that youngest daughter is applying to grad school..

Newimprvmodel's picture

Annuity, I really do not think he is going to hear at all from his daughter. Sounds like she has decided not to pay. I like what someone recommended here......send her a letter telling her that the payoff of the loan is the only inheritance she will ever collect from dh..

Newimprvmodel's picture

He did this of free will. From what I understand, he really has no other recourse than to make the monthly payments or pay the loan off in one lump sum. He could sue her of course, but to what end? That wouldn't make any sense. I think she got the idea to stop payment by his phone call to her " giving her positive feedback". Dh got sold on the idea by a parenting tv show.......he really is a sweet man, but has no clue as to what evilness lurks in his daughters. However, his reaction to her stopping payment and not responding to all his calls is the most I have seen out of him over the years of outright stabs in the back. This has registered with him.