You are here

Adult Step Children who treat their father poorly

Louisagalt's picture

I am wondering if anyone has advice on how to proceed with this issue. My husband has two adult daughters, both professionals. The only time they know him is when they are in trouble or in crisis. The rest of the time they barely speak to him ad when he attempts to connect with them, its as if they can't be bothered. One will only communicate by texting, which he does not do. I am at a loss with this one. He is hurt by there behavior and I resent the way they treat him.

They profess their love for their father, but only visit annually, if that. They expect us to travel to their home, but when we do, they have nothing prepared and pretty much ignore us, so why bother? They have all the time in the world for their mother, in-laws, friends, etc but not for us. My husband has some health issues, which they ignore. A few times he's been hospitalized for serious medical complications and the best I get is a text or two asking how's he doing. I don't want to create further alienation but I am really angry with how he is treated and at a loss to how to make him feel better. Any thoughts?

Most Evil's picture

Typical selfish kids imo. My siblings treated my parents this same way for years up to and including my dad's final illness, which I will never forgive them for. They were very offended when I called them out on it but are still the same even now.

I think it is ok to call them out so they get the perspective that hey, what you are doing is wrong and you only have one dad and a limited chance for time with him. After that at least they can't say they didn't know. They are just being assholes imo.

Orange County Ca's picture

I agree with the others that you are not going to change the kids - in fact trying may make it worse. Likely as not when they were children were told by their mother what a ass.... Daddy is and like any child dependent on a adult for sustenance they bought into it. Once ingrained, like religion, its difficult to get out and it gives them the perfect excuse to not be bothered.

Don't have any further contact with them unless its a medical situation so dire that your husband physically can't call. Then make one email (preferred) or call with the basic information then leave it up to them to contact the hospital or nursing home for further information.

So your first contact is "Your Dad is....." Second contact is "The funeral is....." Nothing in-between.

Of course you can commiserate and give advise to your husband but let him deal with them. As much as it hurts you can't help.

2Tired4Drama's picture

OC is spot on. I do know how difficult it is to watch your DH be hurt by their behavior but there's nothing you can do to change it. I have the same situation and listen to my SO when he talks about his skids and how their lack of interest in him hurts. There's really nothing more I can say to him than, "I'm sorry, I know it is painful for you."

And like OC says, when a BM plants these seeds of indifference in her children there is no weedwacker that will get rid of it - even into adulthood. You may think taking a swipe at them will work but the roots of the poison are still there.

jumanji's picture

I'm just going to play a bit of Devil's Advocate, if I may. Just for a different perspective...

I suspect the OP is much the perspective my ex's wife might have posted from. But it would only be part of the story. Of our two kids, one speaks with Dad a few times a year. The other has not spoken to him in about 4. Last time was at her (older) brother's HS graduation. The question is - why? I'm sure he (and his wife) would tell you it was all me, turning them against him. Really, though - he did a fine job of it himself.

When you tell a child that they have no talent and will never succeed (quite to the contrary, the one in question has done very well in his area, and is continuing on to grad school for a PhD next fall), how do you think it makes them feel? When you call and rage at a child for not calling for your bday (which she DID - but left a vm as there was no answer, with no callback) and tell her she will learn how it feels to be forgotten on HER (13th) bday... what do you expect? Smiles and unicorn kisses? When your daughter calls to invite you to her sweet 16 'cause she'd like you to meet her friends and dance with her - and you tell her "sorry, I have plans" before she tells you when the party is? And no - she did not ask for gifts. For her Sweet 16, she asked for donations to a local animal shelter - her friends ponied up almost $1000 in cash, and more in stuff. Se didn't even get a card from her Dad. She was heartbroken.

There is almost always more to the story... at least three sides (or more) - His, Hers, The Truth.

jennaspace's picture

I was thinking the same thing. Yes, there are bad kids that treat their parents terribly. There are also father's like mine who were terrible parents (no exaggeration) and thus reap the consequence in their golden years.

If one kid is like this it may be a fluke but two? I'd wonder about the dad. Sometimes it just boils down to the fact that some men are bad at relationships/intimacy. With a divorce (no mom w/dad) the initiation of relationship by dad is almost nonexistent. Some kids perceive this as rejection when it's really just dad's nature that they wouldn't have noticed as much if he were still with mom and easily accessible.

He could be a great guy, lousy parent. You never know until you hear why the kids are doing it.

If he has the gumption, he may want to write a letter asking why and letting kids know he wants a better relationship.

jumanji's picture

And there ARE Moms who speak poorly, etc. I know some. I won't say that I have never let something slip, but 'i can say that when it has - I have apologized to my kids and tell them that I was wrong and will try harder. But I know I have encouraged them to call, email, text - let him know what's going on in their lives, inviye him to concerts, games, etc. (AND I would cover travel expenses). How many times do WE keep calling someone when they don't respond?

And when you have a 17 yo vs a 57 yo? Who should be the adult?

Just food for thought...

jumanji's picture

I can tell you that, first, my kifs want a repaired relationship with their Dad. If that grows into one with their steMom and stepsibs? They'll be fine with it. But they want their Dad, first.

Pilgrim Soul's picture

Hello and welcome! You came to the right place. If you read this forum, you will see you are not alone with your family situation and that in itself can be a huge source of comfort. I agree with OC, who is out local sage, let it go and think of ways to enjoy life with your DH.

Does he have grandkids? May be when they come along things will change - but do not hold your breath for that. How old are the SDs? Is there a bitter ex-wife in the picture? Has this always been the pattern? When they are in crisis do they come begging for money? For advice?

peacemaker's picture

o

kiwimumma's picture

We have the same thing from two SDs aged 22 and 21. They only contact their Dad if they want something (always money) and usually start contact by text saying "love you Dad" or "miss you - I have no credit to phone you" buttering him up... then it's the wack for money that follows so he always gives it to them. They have become more and more removed, visits are not even annually, and one has a child now so that makes it worse, as he desperately wants to see the grandchild. It is used as a tool really... bait and a reason to give more money. We only seem to get a look in if there is an occasion to give them a gift. They are very unco operative if I try to organise anything, like birthday or Christmas, it is never simple, always a drama and I always end up in the dog box no matter how hard I try to organise it around them. We just went though a major drama for Christmas, youngest didn't even speak to me on the day. The other didn't come at all. We definitely need to change something because it's becoming an issue so after reading things on this I have decided to disengage, stop trying, not send gifts, not bother at all... and have advised him he needs to stop giving the money and demand that we are treated with respect. Will see how that goes. Not holding out a lot of hope because he is half scared of them. Blum 3

evilstepmotherJ's picture

I agree with all the others, let it go and let DH see the kids for what they really are, that is the only time I saw DH's attitude towards the SK change. It really opened his eyes to them. On the flip side, we are now going thru a bit of drama with my DH's stepdad, he flipped out on DH for the way DH treats his own mom (long history between DH and his mom that occurred long before I came in the picture) and DH hardly ever visits or calls his Mom (due to her abandoning him when she married her current husband) so his stepdad felt it was his place to yell at DH about it (defending his wife). And the cycle continues but no way is it the Step parents place to talk to the kids about how they treat their parents.

Pilgrim Soul's picture

To chime in on the aspect of this situation that Jumanji and Jennaspace have covered today: experts on parent-child relationships will say that there is Estrangement - breaking off of ties for a good reason, and there is Alienation - we all know what that is, the alienator (on this board usually the BM) working tirelessly to disrupt the loving relationship between the targeted parent ( usually the dad, who may not be the Father of the Year figure, but a loving parent nonetheless) and his children. Estrangement happens at different life stages but usually i think it applies to adults ( may be beginning in adolescence). Alienation can be the result of a bitter divorce but also happens in intact families ( my DH's case). It often involves children.

There is also a mixed scenario: the dad gives the kid a lot of reasons to dislike him, but then the mom adds hateful oil to the flames. It results in Estrangement with Alienation. It was my case when i was a child. Today i would say i was both estranged and alienated from my father. My mother badmouthed him relentlessly having good reasons to not like him ( abuse, etc) but there was NO good reason to expose me to her diatribes. I grew up and told her to never let me hear her speak of him the way she has been for years. I must have been in my late 20s then.

The difference between the estrangement/alienation is at times hard to determine, at times not. Alienated children give frivolous reasons for their dislike of the targeted parent ( e.g. my OSD told her dad she never felt like he knew her at all because once in her childhood he forgot she did not like peppermint). Hating one parent becomes a religion in a household where the CP demands it. So one kid, two or three in DH's case are all soldiers in the same army, members of the same cult. No dissent is tolerated. BM is the at the center of the hate campaign. None of the skids are able to have their own, separate relationships with DH. They goose-step through life listening to the BM beating her drum. They are like Hitler Youth... and she is their Hitler.

KK12's picture

You've got some very good points there Pilgrim Soul - my fiance has gone to see his son of 21 before he goes back to college again tomorrow and he has text to tell me that it hasn't gone well.....that's not a surprise really and in my situation I suspect that there are 2 Alienators in our case, one being the ex wife and the other being the older sister - and that one or both of them try and stop the son having much of a relationship with his dad, I am certain that they chip away at him and yes the daughter has given frivalous reasons for the dislike of her father - well we assume that she and the SD's in the OP's thread do dislike their father through the lack of contact - despite the father wanted to have contact.

To the OP, I totally feel like this with my fiance, I have seen how he wants to have a relationship with both of his kids and I have seen how much they disrespect him and treat him with disdain - they didn't even sent him any Happy New Year wishes yesterday, makes you wonder if their fingers were broken, it makes me sooooooo angry for him!

CarpeOmnia's picture

I have seen this alienation in the relationships between my DH and his daughters...especially the eldest set SD27 twins.
They were adopted by DH when they were 3...and he might as well have not gone to the bother of doing so as one of the
twins cut him off completely as she worked lock-in-step with her mom to skim money from the family accounts to feather the
BM's nest for her exit from that marriage to her bigger and better opportunity(that fell through).
They claim they were adopted "when we didn't have a choice"...and dis-owned DH as their adopted dad. Blood is everything
to these girls. Since dating me he is even cut off from his grandchildren by SD27.

I also note some sort of alienation effect in the younger set of twins: SD19. One of the twins I can get along with when
she is on her own. We can be discussing something fun like corset dresses and going to websites of my favorites...as soon as
her twin sister walks in and says a snotty thing to her, the laptop is closed and she becomes distant to me.

They have ways of keeping each other in line.

Jojo4124's picture

On Facebook, etc. Very helpful to relate with others in the same kind of pain.

I wonder if he still keeps them in his will? I am sure they expect to be.

Check out a book called Boundaries...hope its OK to recommend on here

I went thru parental alienation but my kids came back to me...it is possible!!!