You are here

18 year Old Step Son Issues About to Break Marriage

Mich1908's picture

I have two children of my own 19 and 21 one of whom went through serious drug problems and has become a responsible young man now. My children s Father committed suicide 2 years ago completely out of the blue, unanswered questions have been hard for them but they are both successful and have great jobs and their own responsibilities. My Step Son lives at home and is going to be 19 in October, although he has never got into the serious drug issues my son did, he has caused a huge rift between myself and my husband. Starting last summer he stole $600 from us by taking an ATM card and withdrawing money. He then stole a British Gold Souverign Coin worth a lot of money that was my Grandfather's. He pawned this and the police were involved and prove he did. I also had my Diamond Eternity ring from my first marriage stolen and a solid gold watch that was my Grandmothers and a gold watch that was my Daughters given to her from her Dad's Mother when she died. It has never been proven where these went or who did it, but the detective said he had no doubt just as I did who stole them.

The eternity ring was to be turned into a pendant for my Daughter as a reminder of her Dad.

Things had settled back down again since this but small things he does that are so irresponsible get me so upset. This came to a head last night when he drove through the grass in the front yard TWICE when we have 4" of standing water there. Wrecked the grass and thinks there is nothing wrong with that. Ultimately it ended in my husband and I having a huge argument and my Step Son leaving.

Help, this is destroying my relationship and I believe it all stems from the thefts but how do I get past this.

oldone's picture

Why is he not in prison for theft that you could prove? Did you not press charges?

Do not allow a criminal in your home. period. dot.

Quit hoping he will be okay. Oust him until he IS changed if he even wants to change.

hismineandours's picture

You tell your dh that the kid needs to go. Or you do. You cant allow this man/child to live in your home and steal from you. Does your dh think that his stealing from you was ok? What stinks even more is that some of what he stole is irreplaceable. I would not be so offended by the theft of money as I would the family heirlooms. He stole something priceless. Which apparently he has shown no remorse for since he does not admit to doing it. Who does your dh feel is responsible for these other thefts? Does he really believe it is a coinicidence that these things disappeared by some unknown thief at the same time your ss was stealing other items from you?

As far as him driving thru your yard? Yes, this is annoying and irresponsible. Yet, something you could probably manage to deal with if he wasn't a lying thief. If he stays in your home-every thing he does is going to affect you like this because you know he is a lying thief and that he should not be living with his victims.

Mich1908's picture

My Husband is under no misconception that it was someone else, he knows it was him also and yes exactly how I feel that money I did forgive this but the others even if I try I can't especially with the situation being that the item was something that was for my Daughter.

My Husbands Mother has also been a big problem as she denies any of this was her Grandson and was actually in the room when the detective was confronting him. The next day she proceeded to try and take him to buy him new clothes and when I was mad at her and told her she should not she thought I was crazy!! You dont reward bad behaviour just because she doesnt see him all the time.

The thefts happened last year and no I did not press charges, I could not have lived with that because it was going to be 2 felonies and then the pawn shop would also have for selling stolen goods. I have been through this with my own son, not for steeling but domestic violence on his Father and he did not talk to me for a year. He was a minor so it was different, this would have been on his record for life. I could not live with being the person that did that.

sandye21's picture

Please get this man out of your house any way you can. He is stealing, and he has no respect for your property, odds are he has other problems besides stealing. This is a case where DH should be given an ultimatum - either SS or you. Your basic rights are being sacrificed for this criminal.