What to do

newsm2011's picture

Okay I am new to this step parent thing. My husband's ex wife has been harrassing us something awful. She calls all day long,writes letters, emails, threatens us through text and e-mail. She drives by several times everyday and many days follow us around. I am starting to really lose it, and it is ind of scary. What legal rights do I have. I have treid to ignore her and even treid to get a retraining order and was told she has to do physical harm to me first. But, she can claim I'm following her and get an order of protection at the drop of a hat. I am at my wits end. What can I do so I can live my life as a normal person with my husband????? Help andy advice is appreciated.

distorted reality's picture

Texts, emails, pictures or videos of her driving by or following you, will prove harassment and it can be dealt with by local law enforcement. Make sure you have proof in hand and take a trip down to your local police department. In the meantime, don't let her rattle you too much.... don't want to give her the satisfaction. Good luck. Smile

milknosugar's picture

Im sorry you are going through this.

I found our BM loved it when I reacted to her weird behaviour. As soon I reacted, I looked paranoid and jealous. She sensed my intimidation and it gave her a lot of satisfaction. I also found it damaged the relationship with my DH.

What are you afraid of? Think of the worst case and until that happens, do nothing. You have no control over what she does until she breaks the law and if that happens, you will be right to act to protect yourself and your family. I agree that keeping emails, videos etc is a good idea. Try to relax and concentrate on you and your family in the meantime. Easier said than done. You are not alone.

pregnant and confused's picture

newsm2011's picture

Thanks for the advice and support. This weekend she was snooping in our backyard and I scared the mess out of her when I shouted "Hey Get Out of There" at her. She thought we were at the kids spaghetti dinner...which was where she was supposed to be at. I have reported her and will continue. I guess I am scared becsaue I am pregnant and already a high risk pregnancy so I just want some peace for once. Its always something with her. But the best revenge I can have is living and that's what I will do. But I'm keeping my guard up too.