You are here

Will an arrest of the opposite party help a child custody case in our favor?

crazee_gurl87's picture
Forums: 

My husband and I have full custody for almost two years of my three year old step-son. His mother has attempted to take it back to court to gain full custody but is mostly only concerned with the power of having custody, the money and creating drama and havoc. It has been a long process and I think for the most part the court is not taking her seriously but they still have to do everything according to legal protocol. Recently she was arrested for stealing money orders from a post office, forging my husband's signature and cashing them. When she was caught she tried to pin it on my husband claiming he paid her for child support, which is absurd since she pays US. My question is will all of this only help the child custody case in our favor? And not just the fact she was arrested and charged with three felonies but also because she did it purposely for the intention of pinning it on my husband? I'm not sure if she will serve time or not, but given her history I doubt she'll be able to walk away from this.

stormabruin's picture

I feel quite certain it will speak volumes to a judge about her character. Has she admitted, or can it be proven that she did it with the intention of pinning it on your husband?

I can't imagine it wouldn't help some, but even if it doesn't help your case, it certainly won't hurt it!

crazee_gurl87's picture

I couldn't agree more! And I really don't think she is serious about having custody.. she's the type she likes to create drama and havoc any way she can!

crazee_gurl87's picture

I'm assuming she did it for that reason, it's not the first time she's tried to do something towards my husband. She has went from trying to "turn him in" to the IRS (which only turned into HER being audited and on the "watch list"), attempting to make false reports to DFCS for the supposed bad state of our home, the police for supposed child abuse, even down to creating a legal case based on information that has no basis (she claimed there was a joint custody agreement when my husband received full custody.)
My husband said when the police questioned him about the money orders they seemed to be more interested in getting evidence from him against her than actually evidence against himself. And also with the way they explained the situation to him that she had went out of her way to persuade them that my husband was to blame for everything. Not to mention the smug comments and looks she gave us for almost a week until my husband turned in all the evidence he had. Now she's a wreck of nerves and jumbled words.
Like I said, the court doesn't seem to be taking her seriously because there are too many things against her from kicking her son out when he was an infant to taking off to live 2,000 miles to be with a new beau just a few weeks after bringing up this custody case to harassing texts/call/emails and so on and so forth. I'm just hoping this last little bit will finally persuade them to dismiss everything.